3 Sex offenders at the same address ???

dlowan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 01:31 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
* I think society's hysteria is often a form of re-victimization, amplifying the negative in the victim's experience.

I think know what you mean, but I'd be interested for you to expand, in case I am wrong.
aidan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 08:33 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
In fact, since people with an offending record in such areas are generally subject to more scrutiny (and, if involved in a treatment program, generally this is not simply self-report) there's a prima facie case that they would be more likely to caught than those who have yet to be apprehended.

Quote:
So what the recidivism rate does tell you is that the same people are continuing to offend. What it doesn't tell you is whether the same number, more or fewer people are being victimized by the same victimizers-before they are caught again- and it can't-only the offender can know that.
So I'm not saying that there are definitely people who were not abused who would have been - what I'm saying is there's really no way to know and/or measure that aspect of the effectiveness of this registry as a deterrent.
Only the offender can say whether or not this monitoring is curtailing his activities and making him more liable to be caught after fewer offences than s/he was before it was in place.
[/size]
That's essentially exactly what I said.
hawkeye10

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 08:44 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
I think know what you mean, but I'd be interested for you to expand, in case I am wrong.

how about when you are violated by someone you love, and you go for help because you want it to stop, you want the one hurting you to get help, and the result is that the one you love has his/her life ruined because they end up in the criminal justice system punished for life??

See any possibilities for adding guilt?

How about when we strong arm victims into testifying against their abuser, and thus helping to ruin their lives, telling the victims that they are defective if they don't take on this role for the collective??

See any possibilities for adding guilt and additional trauma?
0 Replies

aidan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 08:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
This is a silly claim. Measure it without the list, measure it with the list and measure the difference.

But you can't measure what DOESN'T happen- you can only measure what does happen.

Think of it like this. A kid is stealing prescription drugs from his parent's medicine cabinet. His parents have no idea initially - and he's taking like four of their pain killers a day. Then his parents wise up and remove the pain killers from the medicine cabinet and his reach- making it harder to get at THEIR specific pain killers.
He's caught with some pain killers later.
How can his parents know how many pain killers he actually did use in the interim - after they removed their supply of pain killers from him?
He might have used more from another source. He might have used less, because they were harder to get, or he might have used the same amount.
He may have gotten caught the first time he took them from another source. He may have gotten caught after taking 50.
Only HE can say.

Quote:
The obvious motivation for this to go unreported will exist in both scenarios. If there is no measurable difference the only way this can explain it away is if in one of the scenarios there is a different rate of undiscovered crime. You've established no reason this would be the case, and have only thrown doubt on the studies on the basis of not all crimes being discovered. This is a factor with or without such lists.

I just disagree with this. I think it's easier to catch people doing something wrong when you are watching them. I think in all likelihood - there was a far greater liklihood of more offenses going undiscovered BEFORE someone was being monitored than after.
So if the stats remain the same, that indicates something to me- maybe not to you and that's fine.

I'm sorry this list has gotten turned into such a joke apparently, because I do think it could be useful. Sort of like cones around a pothole or a sign that says, 'Live wire down ahead - slow down.'
Below viewing threshold (view)
OmSigDAVID

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:11 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

I'm sorry this list has gotten turned into such a joke apparently,
because I do think it could be useful. Sort of like cones around
a pothole or a sign that says, 'Live wire down ahead - slow down.'
Rebecca: shoud we put robbers and murderers on the list?

[Note that I 'm putting the OM SIG into One If By Land, Two If By Sea
(the Beef Wellington place) on Monday, Dec. 14th. U may wish to join us, if u r then in America.]

David
DrewDad

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:21 am
@hawkeye10,
OK, I'm just gonna vote you down every time you use "the collective". It's annoying.
0 Replies

aidan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:33 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
It would be much better if people suspected everyone, did not have this delusion that they know who is safe and who is not.

And someone a few pages back was talking about parents and their sense of hysteria around this issue- what would they say about parents who looked at everyone in their chilren's lives with suspicion?

Granted - some do and it's understandable, (I think - as a parent) wanting to protect your children from harm.

So yeah - proceed with caution through life as a general rule- YES! But also use the information you're given to your best advantage- this list doesn't tell you who is safe - it doesn't purport to do that. It only tells you who is definitely dangerous (in terms of sexually violent predators).

Quote:
The argument against public offender lists is that it makes the collective problem worse, because it make it impossible for offenders to fix their lives,

I don't know what to say or do about this. It's not that I don't care - I do. I don't know what can be done about this. But do you really think this list is the biggest factor that is keeping these people from fixing their lives?
Honestly?

Quote:
it often hurts victims because people they care about have their lives ruined, and it gives victims a good reason to not report because they don't the heavy hand of the collective smashing down on their world.

People they care about who have been abusing them, though. And I know all the psychology behind that phenomenon, but you yourself said that at some point people have to stop being chumps for the entertainment of others. I'd think this would fit.

And you know what= I didn't even think about this until last night when I was reading the rules about the sex offender list for Pennsylvania - but if I'd ever been raped or sexually assaulted by a stranger - or even a date- and he was imprisoned and then released - I think this list = this monitoring system would be the only thing that would allow me to live my life in some semblance of peace- knowing where he probably was and that he was being monitored would probably be my salvation. So I'm sorry - I think there are positive aspects (for the victim) to it that I don't think should just be disregarded.

You want to take it off the internet - by all means do - change the criteria to take people peeing in public out of the mix - hell yeah - but in and of itself, I think it's valuable in some very important respects.

aidan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 09:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

David - you're changing the subject again... Laughing Laughing

Quote:
[Note that I 'm putting the OM SIG into One If By Land, Two If By Sea
(the Beef Wellington place) on Monday, Dec. 14th. U may wish to join us, if u r then in America.]

*I'm flying on the 19th. But I would love to go to that place at Christmas time - I'll give you a call.

dlowan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:07 am
@aidan,
I think we said the opposite, but there it is.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 10:17 am
@dlowan,
none of this can be said enough

dlowan wrote:

Quote:
Or that the false sense of security caused others to be harmed as a result.

I think that is a very salient point.

A hell of a lot of public energy and angst goes into concern about known sex offenders....currently here in Oz we have a case of truly horriffic vigilantism against a repeat offender who has been released and whose whereabouts became known. People living nearby are obsessed.

Given that the overwhelming number of sexually abused children are abused by family members or trusted members of the family's circle of acquaintance, all this monsterisation of sex offenders is extremely counter productive in my view, as it reifies a sense of the threat as coming from a deviant outsider, and not from where it is most likely to come from.

This is not at all to deny the impact of multiple offenders on those they abuse, and I think there is good reason for such people to be closely observed by law enforcement, and for their status to be made known to relevant bodies when such people seek to be in situations where they have access to children.

I think these ARE genuinely difficult issues, but it seems manifest to me that many states in the US have gone way overboard in who they place on public registers, which seems to me to be a result of a kind of panic-ridden lack of consideration.

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:00 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:

David - you're changing the subject again... Laughing Laughing
I must disagree that it is changing the subject.
My question is whether criminals who have been MORE dangerous
shoud be added to that list; e.g.,
if someone is put on the list for stealing kisses
and pinching girls' behinds, then surely convicted murderers
are more dangerous than he is; so it seems to me.
Do u disagree ?

David
Robert Gentel

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:35 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

When those around a victim are so horrified that they can't help but treat the person differently to the point that it increases the feeling of being "damaged" by the abuse.

A mid-way example would be when other parents feel that the abuse has changed the victim enough to be over sensitive to them, or even wary of them being around their kids.

"That poor kid, but it might have messed her up in the head, I better watch her play with my kid."

On the mild end it can just be the victim picking up on the horror that they feel about the abuse, and beginning to see the abuse more negatively. It's kinda like a kid I once knew. If he'd fall down and his mother expressed concern the kid would cry. If the mother just smiled the kid would laugh.

That's not a related example to abuse except in that it illustrates that individual experiences are affected by the reaction that others give them. At the same time though, I want to make clear that I reject the argument from many pedophile groups that society causes all the harm from abuse. My argument is that wrongheaded responses can exacerbate it.
Robert Gentel

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 11:39 am
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
But you can't measure what DOESN'T happen- you can only measure what does happen.

Aidan this argument, to debunk the data I have cited, just doesn't make any sense. And it's such a simple concept that I don't think more explanation and discussion is going to help here, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.
aidan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 01:01 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Do u disagree ?

Um, okay....yes - a convicted murderer is more dangerous than someone who steals kisses and pinches behinds. I don't disagree with that.

But unless the murder involves some sexual aspect - the murderer doesn't fit the criteria of being added to this list - so NO they should not be added to a sexual offender's registry.
aidan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 01:05 pm
@Robert Gentel,

Quote:
Aidan this argument, to debunk the data I have cited, just doesn't make any sense. And it's such a simple concept that I don't think more explanation and discussion is going to help here, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Yep - I agree because I do understand what you are saying and I don't agree, so agreeing to disagree pretty much nails it.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 01:31 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Do u disagree ?

Um, okay....yes - a convicted murderer is more dangerous than
someone who steals kisses and pinches behinds. I don't disagree with that.

But unless the murder involves some sexual aspect -
the murderer doesn't fit the criteria of being added to this list -
so NO they should not be added to a sexual offender's registry.
The polity appears to have a special fetish
with sexuality and listing: -- put him on the list
for pinching girls' behinds and make him a pariah,
but if he 's a murderer or a robber, leave him off the list
if he is sufficiently celebate.
DrewDad

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 01:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
On the one hand, "pinching girls' behinds" offensively trivializes the severity of many of these crimes.

On the other hand, you have a point that sexual crimes are being singled out. Why not an "Offenders List" instead of a "Sexual Offenders List"?
OmSigDAVID

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 02:06 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

On the one hand, "pinching girls' behinds" offensively trivializes
the severity of many of these crimes.

On the other hand, you have a point that sexual crimes are being singled out.
Why not an "Offenders List" instead of a "Sexual Offenders List"?
Not all of the offenses were rape.
Which crime woud the victim deem more trivial ?
Woud u prefer to be pinched or murdered, DrewDad?
DrewDad

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 02:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Not all of the offenses were rape.

Were any as trivial as pinching someone's bottom? Minimizing the impact of sex crimes doesn't improve your argument; it weakens your argument because it's hard to take you seriously.

Did you miss the part where I agreed that only focusing on sex crimes is silly?