3 Sex offenders at the same address ???

hawkeye10

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 09:39 pm
Quote:
Federal law and the laws of all 50 states now require adults and some juveniles convicted of specified crimes that involve sexual conduct to register with law enforcement-regardless of whether the crimes involved children. So-called "Megan's Laws" establish public access to registry information, primarily by mandating the creation of online registries that provide a former offender's criminal history, current photograph, current address, and other information such as place of employment. In many states everyone who is required to register is included on the online registry. A growing number of states and municipalities have also prohibited registered offenders from living within a designated distance (typically 500 to 2,500 feet) of places where children gather-for example, schools, playgrounds, and daycare centers.
Human Rights Watch appreciates the sense of concern and urgency that has prompted these laws. They reflect a deep public yearning for safety in a world that seems increasingly threatening. Every child has the right to live free from violence and sexual abuse. Promoting public safety by holding offenders accountable and by instituting effective crime prevention measures is a core governmental obligation.
Unfortunately, our research reveals that sex offender registration, community notification, and residency restriction laws are ill-considered, poorly crafted, and may cause more harm than good:
•The registration laws are overbroad in scope and overlong in duration, requiring people to register who pose no safety risk;
•Under community notification laws, anyone anywhere can access online sex offender registries for purposes that may have nothing to do with public safety. Harassment of and violence against registrants have been the predictable result;
•In many cases, residency restrictions have the effect of banishing registrants from entire urban areas and forcing them to live far from their homes and families.
The evidence is overwhelming, as detailed in this report, that these laws cause great harm to the people subject to them. On the other hand, proponents of these laws are not able to point to convincing evidence of public safety gains from them. Even assuming some public safety benefit, however, the laws can be reformed to reduce their adverse effects without compromising that benefit. Registration laws should be narrowed in scope and duration. Publicly accessible online registries should be eliminated, and community notification should be accomplished solely by law enforcement officials. Blanket residency restrictions should be abolished.

http://www.hrw.org/en/node/10685/section/2

What idiotbill will not acknowledge is that my view on these laws is the view of other very reputable people. He can not dismiss the opposing argument by bashing me, at least not in the company of fair and free thinking people.
hawkeye10

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 09:43 pm
Quote:
Since the day in 1989, when her son Jacob was kidnapped by a stranger, Patty Wetterling has “been on a journey to find him and to stop this from ever happening to another child, another family.” She and her husband are co-founders of the Jacob Wetterling Foundation, which works to prevent sexual violence against children. When Patty Wetterling speaks out against sex offender laws, we should listen. Here is part of the opening of her op/ed piece “The harm in sex-offender laws“ from this morning’s Sacramento Bee, (Sept. 14, 2007).

I’m worried that we’re focusing so much energy on naming and shaming convicted sex offenders that we’re not doing as much as we should to protect our children from other real threats.

Many states make former offenders register for life, restrict where they can live, and make their details known to the public. And yet the evidence suggests these laws may do more harm than good.

http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/ethicalesq/2007/09/14/patty-wetterling-tells-the-harm-in-sex-offender-laws/
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
What idiotbill will not acknowledge is that my view on these laws is the view of other very reputable people. He can not dismiss the opposing argument by bashing me, at least not in the company of fair and free thinking people.
Dude, you get bashed for being the scumbag you are. You share lots of views with lots of reasonable people. Doesn't change the fact that you're a scumbag.
Robert Gentel

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:32 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
This should be too obvious to be denied, and should require no scientific evidence for you to concede that by now it must have happened many, many times.

Actually I think it was so out there that I didn't begin to consider that this is what you are talking about. If you think this is happening it should still have an impact on recidivism rates. It's just not plausible that foiled abuse invariably finds another candidate.

This is just a constructed scenario that can't be proven or disproved and if that is how you think the list is working the fact remains that there is no evidence for it.

Quote:
Idiot vigilantes are perfectly capable of accessing public records, which are no harder to find than the sex offenders list… so I don’t see taking tools away from parents as being a huge defense.

This is just not true Bill. The public records don't require them to register their address for life. But let's just assume it is to show you something about this argument:

If it is just as easy and idiot vigilantes are perfectly capable of doing so, then so are parents. If there's no difference then why are you arguing to keep the list? Can't parents just do the same?

The bottom line is that they simply are not the same thing, and simply do not have the same public exposure.
hawkeye10

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:38 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Quote:
Dude, you get bashed for being the scumbag you are. You share lots of views with lots of reasonable people. Doesn't change the fact that you're a scumbag.

Getting American justice right, and getting public safety policies right is a wee bit more important than your personal appraisal of the human worthiness of those speaking on the subject, don't you think??? Or could be if you were a better person, if you were capable of compassion for your peers whom you firmly believe have lost their way? Don't you have any aspirations to better yourself bill?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:39 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
Because all the recidivism rate tells you is that a person who has been charged and convicted with a crime has relapsed, reoffended and been recharged and convicted again.
What it doesn't tell you and what no one can know but the offender is how many instances of criminal behavior were engaged in and not discovered.

This doesn't make any sense aidan. There is no reason to assume that the undiscovered crimes occur at a different rate and explain away the lack of evidence for the list having a positive impact on recidivism rates.

Undiscovered crime exists in both scenarios. With or without the list there are going to be undiscovered crimes.

Quote:
So what the recidivism rate does tell you is that the same people are continuing to offend. What it doesn't tell you is whether the same number, more or fewer people are being victimized by the same victimizers-before they are caught again- and it can't-only the offender can know that.

Huh?

Quote:
So I'm not saying that there are definitely people who were not abused who would have been - what I'm saying is there's really no way to know and/or measure that aspect of the effectiveness of this registry as a deterrent.

This is a silly claim. Measure it without the list, measure it with the list and measure the difference.

Quote:
Only the offender can say whether or not this monitoring is curtailing his activities and making him more liable to be caught after fewer offences than s/he was before it was in place.

Nonsense. The studies that exist are not airtight and more study is certainly needed but it's simply not true that this can't be measured except by self-reporting.

The obvious motivation for this to go unreported will exist in both scenarios. If there is no measurable difference the only way this can explain it away is if in one of the scenarios there is a different rate of undiscovered crime. You've established no reason this would be the case, and have only thrown doubt on the studies on the basis of not all crimes being discovered. This is a factor with or without such lists.
Robert Gentel

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:41 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Shorteyes' objection alone tells me it's a good tool!

I'm nearly certain that you are just kidding, but just in case you aren't see the guilt by association fallacy.
OCCOM BILL

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
This should be too obvious to be denied, and should require no scientific evidence for you to concede that by now it must have happened many, many times.

Actually I think it was so out there that I didn't begin to consider that this is what you are talking about. If you think this is happening it should still have an impact on recidivism rates. It's just not plausible that foiled abuse invariably finds another candidate.

This is just a constructed scenario that can't be proven or disproved and if that is how you think the list is working the fact remains that there is no evidence for it.
Sorry Robert. I have to call nonsense on you here. Of what must be many thousands of vigilant parents who go out of their way to keep kids out of reach of known sex offenders; some quantity of kids must have been kept out of harms way as a result. Denying something this obvious is just silly.

The overall statistics have more than this one variable... and are largely irrelevant when considering this small segment of kids who may be saved. It is absurd that you'd ask me to prove how many times something didn't happen.

It is reasonable for you to believe the overall effect causes more harm than good, and it's reasonable for me to disagree. It is not reasonable for you to deny that countless thousands ofextra precautious parents haven't prevented some kids from being harmed.

Robert Gentel wrote:
Quote:
Idiot vigilantes are perfectly capable of accessing public records, which are no harder to find than the sex offenders list… so I don’t see taking tools away from parents as being a huge defense.

This is just not true Bill. The public records don't require them to register their address for life.
You might be surprised just how complete public records are in many states. It is relatively rare for me to require a subpoena ducas tecum on the post office to locate a witness, for instance. Usually, I have a servable address in a matter of seconds.
Robert Gentel wrote:
But let's just assume it is to show you something about this argument:

If it is just as easy and idiot vigilantes are perfectly capable of doing so, then so are parents. If there's no difference then why are you arguing to keep the list? Can't parents just do the same?

The bottom line is that they simply are not the same thing, and simply do not have the same public exposure.
The biggest difference is pictures... but also the closer to accurate addressing you referred to. This makes a big impact on a parent trying to steer/drive their kids around known potential harm's way. Do you think a lack of same would have a like thwarting affect on the idiot-vigilante? Do you really think the guy who's so off the reservation he's going to go Charley Bronson is going to give up because he doesn't have a picture... or because he only has a strong probability of each potential victim's address? That doesn't make sense, Robert. Knowing locations and recognizing faces in your neighborhood is very helpful to parents. Lack of same provides virtually no protection from Charley Bronson who can travel to any neighborhood (and will probably be in business longer if he does) and can choose from dozens of candidates in even the smallest towns.

Again your argument may be sound on the macro, but doesn’t stand up to scrutiny in the micro.
OCCOM BILL

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:11 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Shorteyes' objection alone tells me it's a good tool!

I'm nearly certain that you are just kidding, but just in case you aren't see the guilt by association fallacy.
Was kidding indeed. For all I know, he likes the Packers and hates the Bears.
hawkeye10

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:14 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
ABSOLUTLY NOT....I grew up in Chicago.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I suspect the un-Robert-like logical leap between these two sentences is throwing you off here.
Robert Gentel wrote:

In Maine they give a legal description of what crime was committed but this didn't stop a stupid vigilante from murdering someone who was convicted of consensual sex with his teenage girlfriend when he was 19 after finding his address on the list. Most people don't bother to make the distinctions, if someone is on the list they are on the list and are painted with the same brush as far as most laymen are concerned.
That conclusion is simply unreasonable. I don't believe most laymen are picture viewers who ignore the printed word.
Robert Gentel

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:28 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Sorry Robert. I have to call nonsense on you here. Of what must be many thousands of vigilant parents who go out of their way to keep kids out of reach of known sex offenders; some quantity of kids must have been kept out of harms way as a result. Denying something this obvious is just silly.

Maybe, but if it's not impacting the overall statistics it's still not a net positive. And while we are speculating randomly I can speculate that due to spreading the vigilance too thin others were harmed as a result. Or that the false sense of security caused others to be harmed as a result. Or that the harassment from the community and difficulty keeping a home and a job caused others to be harmed as a result.

Speculation aside, there's still no demonstrable net benefit.

Quote:
The overall statistics have more than this one variable... and are largely irrelevant when considering this small segment of kids who may be saved. It is absurd that you'd ask me to prove how many times something didn't happen.

I'm not asking you to prove it. You constructed justification that you know can't be proved. I recognize this and give it all the consideration it is due.

Quote:
It is not reasonable for you to deny that countless thousands ofextra precautious parents haven't prevented some kids from being harmed.

I'm sure it may have happened. But all I can say is that I've not seen a single case of anecdotal evidence for that either and the argument that it's worth it if it saved one kid is an appeal to pity that just deflects what I've been saying: that there is no evidence of a net benefit.

The speculation about who might have been saved (while just transferring the victimhood to someone else, so that statistics can't show the good news) is more than canceled out by the many cases of violence and murder against people on the list to me.

Quote:
The biggest difference is pictures... but also the closer to accurate addressing you referred to. This makes a big impact on a parent trying to steer/drive their kids around known potential harm's way. Do you think a lack of same would have a like thwarting affect on the idiot-vigilante?

Most of them, yes. The very existence of the list gave many of them the idea (just like it does parents) and the ability to know exactly where they currently live and what they look like makes it much easier.

But the vigilante murderers aren't the only problem. The many more normal folk who reflexively want them out of their neighborhood, out of their supermarkets and basically out of society are a much bigger problem to their rehabilitation.

Quote:
That doesn't make sense, Robert. Knowing locations and recognizing faces in your neighborhood is very helpful to parents. Lack of same provides virtually no protection from Charley Bronson who can travel to any neighborhood (and will probably be in business longer if he does) and can choose from dozens of candidates in even the smallest towns.

Again your argument may be sound on the macro, but doesn’t stand up to scrutiny in the micro.

That's silly. You first try to make it sound like there's no difference between the public records and the registry, then when I point out that if there is really no difference it makes no sense to argue for the registry you rationalize how the difference is only important to your side of the argument.

This is another measurable claim Bill, but before I go spend tons of time bringing real evidence, as opposed to speculation, I'd like to know if it even matters to you. It'd be pointless to spend the time finding evidence that this increased such vigilantism if you'd just find some unprovable rationalization for why it doesn't matter.

Hell, you are motivating me to argue your side for you with more intellectual honesty. Here's a much better argument for you than the rationalization and speculation that you are using:

There is evidence (from two fairly weak studies, but still much better than unprovable speculation) that there might be a net positive. Not in recidivism but in overall sex crimes. From this data, you could make the argument that the sex offender registry is an additional component of punishment (public shame) that is preventing some first time offenders from committing the crime.

I don't actually buy this argument myself, but it's a hell of a lot better than yours. You should adopt it.
Robert Gentel

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:31 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
That conclusion is simply unreasonable. I don't believe most laymen are picture viewers who ignore the printed word.

This is measurable too Bill. I think it would be emphatically demonstrated that most people (especially those who are willing to murder or harass people on those lists) don't get or care about the nuances between different sex crimes.

I just showed you that the murderer in that case didn't. He murdered someone who had just been guilty of having sex with his high school sweetheart at the age of 19 while she was still a minor.

I can find you plenty of other evidence Bill (just ask anyone on the list for something minor if they are not treated like a leper), but I don't think any of it's going to make a difference here so I'd rather avoid the trouble.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Mon 28 Sep, 2009 11:35 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Was kidding indeed. For all I know, he likes the Packers and hates the Bears.

That would be awful. But, hey, nobody's perfect.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
That's silly. You first try to make it sound like there's no difference between the public records and the registry, then when I point out that if there is really no difference it makes no sense to argue for the registry you rationalize how the difference is only important to your side of the argument.
Not silly. It is the simple truth. Look again. Charley can find a victim anytime he wants, with or without the list. Linkat cannot pinpoint known threats without it.

Robert Gentel wrote:
This is another measurable claim Bill, but before I go spend tons of time bringing real evidence, as opposed to speculation, I'd like to know if it even matters to you. It'd be pointless to spend the time finding evidence that this increased such vigilantism if you'd just find some unprovable rationalization for why it doesn't matter.
Definitely not worth it. I can't return the favor with equal time spent, because I don't have it... and vigilante justice against known child molesters pales in importance to me to an extent that sickens you. I'm not joking when I suggest the death penalty for repeat offenders or when I suggest Shorteyes take one for the team. The innocence of one child is worth an awful lot violence against known sickos in my book. I’m not suggesting the rule of law shouldn’t apply to the idiot-vigilante; I’m simply stating his plight means little to me compared to that of the innocent child.

Your search would yield you no satisfaction in regards to me, because unless you could prove more innocents were being harmed as a result of the list, it wouldn't move me at all. I am infinitely less concerned with the plight of the guilty, and am at least as sickened as you are with my views, that the veritable plagues that are domestic and child abuse are not dealt with on a level more commiserate with the harm they do. Where you apparently view the cyclical nature of these crimes as a reason for leniency; I view it as a compelling reason for far longer sentences, both to keep the victims from the victimizers, AND to teach the victims that the behavior is not okay. **** the perp.

You are apparently stuck in the measurable macro to an extent you've forgotten the thread's author is concerned with her own children more than anything else. This concern is aided by the database that told her there's a 3-pack of likely recidivists living between her home and the YMCA. Put yourself in the parental shoes for a moment, and you might better be able to see things from her perspective. Knowing this potential danger is there is a valuable service to her as a parent. Perhaps saving her kid will result in someone else’s falling victim in the fate-machine… but I suspect few vigilant parents would consider that much of a deterrent from protecting their own. The tragic truth that most won’t be as vigilant in no way reduces the value of the tool to the individual.
Robert Gentel

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:25 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Definitely not worth it. I can't return the favor with equal time spent, because I don't have it... and vigilante justice against known child molesters pales in importance to me to an extent that sickens you. I'm not joking when I suggest the death penalty for repeat offenders or when I suggest Shorteyes take one for the team. The innocence of one child is worth an awful lot violence against known sickos in my book. I’m not suggesting the rule of law shouldn’t apply to the idiot-vigilante; I’m simply stating his plight means little to me compared to that of the innocent child.

One thing I don't think you've ever understood about this is that what bothers me isn't so much the plight of the perp, as you call them, so much as the lack of understanding of the human nature that this demonstrates. You like to see these things as black and white. You like to believe in evil.

You don't like to recognize how little separates yourself from these people. It's no knock on you personally, this is a common trait. Society likes to think that their monsters (of all varieties) are very different from themselves, and that there could be no way they could be the same.

It is a self-serving view of human nature that is not adequate to the complexities of these problems and that is due in large part to wanting to deny the presence of any such ugliness (or potential for such ugliness) in oneself. At some point it becomes more about posturing about one's goodness than solving the problem of their badness.

There's a fine line that separates the good people from the bad people, what I find most objectionable in your position isn't the lack of concern for the abusers but the cartoonish caricature of humans that it represents.

The problem is much more complex than that, and I care very deeply about these problems and have seen too many such bulls in this china shop.

Quote:
Where you apparently view the cyclical nature of these crimes as a reason for leniency; I view it as a compelling reason for far longer sentences, both to keep the victims from the victimizers, AND to teach the victims that the behavior is not okay. **** the perp.

I've already said, in this thread even, that I prefer longer sentence for the ones with greater risk to society.

In short, what I want is for the ones who represent a the greatest threat to society to be released less often and for the many who just aren't a threat, and who are included due to dumb technicalities to get off the list.

And because I don't think the public notification helps much, I want it curtailed and more focused. I don't mind notifying local law enforcement and don't even mind the neighbourhood notification so much. The online search able databases I think are simply absurd. They do nothing to restrict the information to those who could use it positively.

Quote:
You are apparently stuck in the measurable macro to an extent you've forgotten the thread's author is concerned with her own children more than anything else. This concern is aided by the database that told her there's a 3-pack of likely recidivists living between her home and the YMCA. Put yourself in the parental shoes for a moment, and you might better be able to see things from her perspective.

I have already said, again in this thread even, that I understand the emotional side of this argument well. But it just isn't supported by evidence and facts.
dlowan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:33 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
Or that the false sense of security caused others to be harmed as a result.

I think that is a very salient point.

A hell of a lot of public energy and angst goes into concern about known sex offenders....currently here in Oz we have a case of truly horriffic vigilantism against a repeat offender who has been released and whose whereabouts became known. People living nearby are obsessed.

Given that the overwhelming number of sexually abused children are abused by family members or trusted members of the family's circle of acquaintance, all this monsterisation of sex offenders is extremely counter productive in my view, as it reifies a sense of the threat as coming from a deviant outsider, and not from where it is most likely to come from.

This is not at all to deny the impact of multiple offenders on those they abuse, and I think there is good reason for such people to be closely observed by law enforcement, and for their status to be made known to relevant bodies when such people seek to be in situations where they have access to children.

I think these ARE genuinely difficult issues, but it seems manifest to me that many states in the US have gone way overboard in who they place on public registers, which seems to me to be a result of a kind of panic-ridden lack of consideration.
dlowan

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:44 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
You don't like to recognize how little separates yourself from these people. It's no knock on you personally, this is a common trait. Society likes to think that their monsters (of all varieties) are very different from themselves, and that there could be no way they could be the same.

It is a self-serving view of human nature that is not adequate to the complexities of these problems and that is due in large part to wanting to deny the presence of any such ugliness (or potential for such ugliness) in oneself. At some point it becomes more about posturing about one's goodness than solving the problem of their badness.

That's my central fear (as I have said frequently before) about the kind of hysteria and dehumanization that so many react to sex offenders with.

Not to be able, as a society, and as individuals, to acknowledge our own less than lovely impulses, and therefore seek to repress, deny, or, in the case of the NAMBLA type of paedophile, reactively deify them, makes it harder for individuals to reflect openly on themselves, and admit and seek help for a problem....and tends to pressure politicians and organisations attempting to make a difference to react in ways that are not optimum or are just plain stupid.

Labelling minors as sex offenders for LIFE , as just one example, is, in my view, an especially destructive example of this.

Our thinking on such issues needs to be as clear, intelligent, rational and evidence based as possible...it's too important to react with hysteria and demonization.

Robert Gentel

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:51 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

See what I mean about it not being the positions alone that make you unpopular, but the way you go about making your case for them?

Speaking of which, you pulled yet another cop out on this thread. You went on about how if we allowed "more kink" and porn it would help. I pointed out that just about everything but child porn is legal and asked you what exactly, if anything, you had in mind.

As per usual, you just ran away instead of actually trying to substantiate your vague ramblings. Are you just trying to slip back into the discussion without bothering to back up your earlier nonsense? Are you going to even try to back up your claims about "kink"?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Tue 29 Sep, 2009 12:53 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
That's my central fear (as I have said frequently before) about the kind of hysteria and dehumanization that so many react to sex offenders with.

I know, I'd even typed your name in my post before I decided not to speak for you (partly because I think you actually do have more compassion while my objection is mainly the irrationality and counter-productivity* of the hysteria).

* In addition to what you've mentioned, I think society's hysteria is often a form of re-victimization, amplifying the negative in the victim's experience.