Is screwdriver a cocktail?

Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:52 am
@DrewDad,
Great prevents scurvy - another good reason for the drink.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:54 am
Is DrewDad's picture a glazed doughnut or an egg-white-glazed bagel? Looked like a bagel to me on first glance, now I'm ambivalent.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:59 am
@MontereyJack,
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414A7116QGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A great read for tool geeks!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 11:09 am
@MontereyJack,
Years ago, when Canadian smugglers wanted to get stuff across the border, they would use crates fastened with robertson screws. Eventually, border guards wised up, but yeah...they're pretty specialized. I don't know if the Europeans, or if anyone else uses them either.

I'm not being patriotic here, really I'm not, but I really wish IKEA would come on board. I hate using slotted screws. lol

And yeah, we get all the cheap Chinese tools too.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 11:12 am
@Ceili,
robertsons.

they are used for some office furniture here in the states, but if i remember correctly, the stuff WAS manufactured in canadia.

I have a set, and have used them other places, but rarely.

(and i gotta agree. given the choice between empty calories, i like the vodka and vitamin C)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 11:47 am
@Setanta,
And vodka with prune juice is known as a pile driver.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 11:55 am
How 'bout a sloe comfortable screw against the wall, wink wink...

Sloe gin, southern comfort, oj and galliano sometime served with a splash of vodka too, but only if you're feeling decadent.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:03 pm
Jeez, Ceili, now you've got me interested. What do Canadian smugglers smuggle? I'd never realized the unsatisfied US demand for flannel shirts, mukluks, and Celine Dion CDs was big enough to support a black market.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 12:31 pm
Booze, cigarettes, BC Bud... the usual.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 01:01 pm
Am I correct in assuming that BC Bud refers to the local version of sinsemilla,weed, MJ (the smokable substance, not me), ganja,weed, and not some illicit knockoff of the King of Beers?(god, if you were going to choose a beer to copy, why that one, have they no taste?)
panzade

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
@Ceili,
I'll answer for Set if he don't mind.
Having worked in the high-end cabinet and trim business for 10 years, that's about all we used.
I still have my Rob. drivers for my cordless drill but these fine screws are very expensive at Home Depot so I don't use them at home

Quote:
A mishap led to the invention of the Robertson screw and screwdriver, patented in 1909. The design remains popular: 85% of screws sold in Canada are Robertsons.

http://canadianhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/peter_lymburner_robertsons_screwdriver

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fe/Robertson_screw.jpg/800px-Robertson_screw.jpg
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 02:02 pm
@MontereyJack,
You are correct, sir.

Panzade, I didn't know about the Ford connection. Although I had heard a feud had impinged on its popularity. Interesting.

Do you live in the States? I know almost anything Canadian made, cabinets/furniture, uses Robertson's. I think dry wall screws are almost always Phillip's. Both of these are good designs.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 03:30 pm
Robertson screws are almost unknown in the United Kingdom, scarce in the United States, where they are used mainly in theatrical set construction and account for 10% of screws sold, while being very common in Canada where 85% of the screws sold use the Robertson head.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 03:59 pm
I love the way oristar from China prods us to different subjects
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 04:28 pm
yeah, I was thinking this topic may win the long distance travel award--we start out in English grammar, segue into neuropsychology, and end up loop-the-looping between hardware junkies, modern mixology, and Canadian smuggling. Way to go, team!!!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 04:30 pm
It may drive oristar a little batty, though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 06:48 pm
I think Oristar enjoys this sort of thing . . .
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 06:49 pm
@Setanta,
Most fun I've had on a thread in ages. We should digress more often.
0 Replies