Is screwdriver a cocktail?

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 06:52 am

Is screwdriver a cocktail?
Context:
A study found that when hungry volunteers were shown a picture of a Krispy Kreme doughnut or a screwdriver, the sugary snack sent the brain into overdrive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 3,073 • Replies: 37
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:16 am
@oristarA,
There is a cocktail called a screwdriver.

But in this context, I expect it was actually a tool for driving screws.

http://www.cksinfo.com/clipart/construction/tools/screwdrivers/red-screwdriver.pnghttp://www.newfangled.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/1/547ac2c33e87af4dc794b7de5b8cf74f/misc/donut.jpg
Linkat

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:56 am
@DrewDad,
Isn't a screwdriver (the cocktail version) OJ and volka?
ebrown p

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:58 am
@Linkat,
I agree with DrewDad. A screwdriver can be the name of OJ and vodka, but I don't think that definition fits the context (although it is a little unclear since we only have one sentence to work with).

I am guessing the piece is about how the brain reacts differently to food vs. non-food items and the screwdriver, as a piece of hardware, is an example of a non-food item.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 07:58 am
@Linkat,
One part vodka to two parts orange juice, according to Wikipedia.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 08:00 am
@DrewDad,
Quote:
One part vodka to two parts orange juice, according to Wikipedia.

Darn... I thought it was the other way 'round. (That might explain why my furniture is wobbly.)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:16 am
This thread is making me hungry for a screwdriver. A crunchy, delicious Philipps. Mmm.
Tai Chi

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:24 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

This thread is making me hungry for a screwdriver. A crunchy, delicious Philipps. Mmm.

A Robertson -- now there's a square meal.
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:38 am
oh, screw you guys, can't take anything seriously. you're all a bunch of nuts. i may just bolt this topic for good. you just keep hammering a point until it's so thoroughly nailed down you'll never get it back out.
ebrown p

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:42 am
@MontereyJack,
You are such a tool.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:45 am
yes, my full name is MontereyJackHammer
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:58 am
Here we go again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 09:58 am
Definition of a phillips screwdriver: vodka and milk of magnesia
panzade

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:04 am
@Tai Chi,
Quote:
A Robertson -- now there's a square meal.

Cute, and kudos for knowing what a Robertson is.
Gargamel

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:05 am
@Setanta,
I thought that was called a Brown Russian.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:10 am
@panzade,
Robertson screwdrivers are a national institution in Canada--you don't want to bring it up with them.

Garg, you are a very, very bad man.
contrex

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:29 am
The context is surely the distinction between subjects reactions to pictures of a food item versus and to pictures of a non food item. Also the context does not suggest that the alternative meaning of "screwdriver" is a possibility (The sentence is not part of a piece about a cocktail party)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:36 am
Nonsense. The subjects are described as "hungry volunteers." Why would anyone show them a picture of a hand tool in the context of being hungry?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:40 am
@Setanta,
Laughing
I'm curious, do they sell robertson's in the States yet?
MontereyJack

Reply Tue 22 Sep, 2009 10:51 am
re Ceili:
According to wikipedia, Robertson screws are used mainly in Canada, and were invented and patented by a Canadian, first case I've heard of of tool patriotism. We have Robertson screwdrivers (sort of) in the States, but I've never knowingly seen a Robertson screw. That's because a lot of the cheaqp tools you get here now come from China, and the screwdriver variants typically come with a whole bunch of exchangable tips (which might be hused in the handle, or in a little separate tip caddy), among which they often include the Robertson bits. Before this thread, I didn't have a good idea of what they were for, since I've never encountered one, but I guess you guys must get a lot oc Chinese tools too, if they're catering to your rather specialized market. A lot of knockdown furniture has rather specialized fasteners, and I know I've encountered ones with hex head holes, for which you need an Allen wrench--I'm trying to remember whther any on them could have been Robertson head.