Is Derek Jeter the greatest baseball player of all time?

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 6 May, 2010 03:19 pm
@mtsyankee,
I'm not sure why having more teams makes winning more impressive. A team these days usually has to win 90-100 games to make it to the postseason, which is what a team prior to expansion (1961-62) had to do, except now a team can sneak into the postseason with as few as 83 wins, as the Cardinals did in 2006, or 82 wins, as the Mets did in 1973. Prior to 1961, only six teams ever made it to the World Series with fewer than 90 wins over the course of a 154-game season, and never fewer than 88 wins.

Having more teams in the league just means playing more different opponents, it doesn't mean playing more games, and it's the games that count, not the opponents. The opponents all average out in the end.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 01:16 am
Babe Ruth or Ted Williams...Babe was far superior than anyone else...And was a damn fine pitcher also...

Ted Williams was the best pure hitter...Don't care if his carreer numbers are lower than Cobb's... Williams played too long in his career...Like Mays...

No one will hit 400 again...And Williams lost 4 or 5 years of his prime when he went to war...Or he would have 700+ homers also...

I would have to say that babe was the best...Even though I would take the better pure hitter, since Williams had power also...But I think that Babe was the best ever....

But does anyone know that Babe has the most K's ever also?

And no, Jeter, has no discussion in the greatest ever...Like Joe said...He is not even the greatest short...And that was Honus...

@Joe...

BTW...Why did you take the avatar down of Honus?
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2012 08:22 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I've never used Honus Wagner as an avatar. He never played for the Cubs.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 01:09 am
@joefromchicago,
I knew that...But I thought you had an avatar up of him or his baseball card? Was that someone else? Or was that not Honus?
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 09:48 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
I have used Joe Tinker, Johnny Evers, and Frank Chance as avatars, but never Honus Wagner.

http://www.t206museum.com/set/77.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 10:24 am
@joefromchicago,
Tinker to Evers to Chance.. I hadn't made that connection.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2012 09:12 pm
@joefromchicago,
Thanks mate...thought it was Wagner...

0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 12:10 am
@joefromchicago,
Hey Joe...Did you ever hear of a player named Lafayette "Fresco" Thompson?

I have a baseball card of his from 1933 profesionally graded..4.5...With probably the highest grading company in the world...right now...

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 07:10 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

that's odd -- he's not listed as having played in 1933...
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 09:29 am
@Region Philbis,
He played in the minors all year. Interesting career for Thompson. He was a star second baseman for some truly awful Phillies teams in the late 20s and early 30s, then he got traded to Brooklyn and just fell off the table. Something must have happened to him, but it's difficult to determine what it was. It doesn't look like he was injured, because he played a lot of games in the minors from 1932 to '36. Like other former Phillies, it may be that he suffered from the shift away from the Baker Bowl, which was an extremely hitter-friendly park (although he would have benefitted from getting to hit against Philly pitching). Or, more likely, keeping his bat in the lineup no longer could justify his poor fielding -- he led the NL twice in errors at second.

Brooklyn, it appears, must have been dissatisfied with both Thompson and Neal Finn at second base, because the Dodgers acquired Tony Cuccinello from Cincy in March, 1932 (and traded away future Hall of Famer Ernie Lombardi and fan favorite Babe Herman to get him). Cuccinello was a good fielder and had a respectable career, but couldn't put Brooklyn over the top. Thompson, meanwhile, wandered around the minors until he transitioned to managing.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2012 05:31 pm
@Region Philbis,
I think it is because 1933 is the first year they actually made baseball cards...Besides, cigar boxes and stuff like that...But I could be wrong about it...

The card is a 1933 Goudey...#13 if you are interested in looking it up on ebay(tm) or the internet...
0 Replies