Lazy Boyfriend

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 09:51 am
Im 23 years old and have been in a relationship for 3 years now, as first it wasn’t that great, we had a lot of rows and he let me down several times hurting me so much. We have finally got through it and I do trust him now, we get on great, my family really like him. We are both ready for the next step in our relationship which is to move out, but theres problems, my boyfriend has been studying to be a plumber for ages now, he’s had family problems etc which has always put his career on hold. I spent weeks phoning different plumbers looking on the internet for him and he seemed to do nothing about it which caused a lot of arguments as it seemed I was more bothered about his career than he was, anyway luckily my dad managed to find him a plumber so he can finish off his apprentiship but with the current climate he has been layed off, lucky he has done the practical which means he only needs to take exams for him to then be a qualified plumer. I do a lot of things for my boyfriend, he doesn’t drive so I take him places, cook for him even buy him things like the plumbing book I brought him recently for him to revise for his exams, he has been studying for months now and I keep saying to him when are you booking your exams (he needs to take about 10 and hasn’t even completed 1 yet) he keeps saying to me yeah I will do soon, but still months past and yet no movement, he needs to become qualified to work with his current employer so he has no job or money coming in at the minute which is soooo frustrating as its also stopped us from going out together and most importantly saving for our own place. We were supposed to start saving over a year ago! He feels im constantly going on at him, but im trying to make him realise that if this carrys on there wont be a relationship anymore as I cant put up with this anymore and then he turns around and says he cant put up with me going on at him anymore, its like were going round in circles, I love him so much and so want this to work but why cant he get off his backside and start thinking about our future and also his future, we always talk about moving out, getting married etc and he says he really wants it, so why isn’t he making this effort so we can both move on with our life’s. Is it because he thinks im always going to be there no matter what? I really need some advice as to what to do.

Thanks for listening.

jespah

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:11 am
@loneill8,
loneill8 wrote:

Im 23 years old and have been in a relationship for 3 years now, as first it wasn’t that great, we had a lot of rows and he let me down several times hurting me so much....

I do trust him now...,

he’s had family problems etc which has always put his career on hold. ....

I do a lot of things for my boyfriend, he doesn’t drive so I take him places, cook for him even buy him things like the plumbing book I brought him recently for him to revise for his exams, he has been studying for months now and I keep saying to him when are you booking your exams (he needs to take about 10 and hasn’t even completed 1 yet) he keeps saying to me yeah I will do soon, but still months past and yet no movement, ...

We were supposed to start saving over a year ago! ...,

I love him so much and so want this to work but why cant he get off his backside and start thinking about our future and also his future, we always talk about moving out, getting married etc and he says he really wants it, so why isn’t he making this effort so we can both move on with our life’s. Is it because he thinks im always going to be there no matter what? I really need some advice as to what to do.

Thanks for listening.

First off, welcome to A2K.

I hate to say it, but I doubt he wants to either take his tests or become a plumber or, sadly, marry you.

He's got it WAY too good.

* He doesn't have to work
* He doesn't have to go to school or study or take tests
* He doesn't have to drive
* He doesn't have to spend $$
* He doesn't have to cook

I suspect he also doesn't have to clean, do taxes or maintain family contact.

You are doing it all for him, so why the hell should he do a damned thing? Yes, you bother him about it (which he considers to be nagging). But the reality is that the price that he pays for the Life of Riley is to hear you occasionally complain.

I hate to suggest to people to make threats, plus you've made them already anyway, and they haven't done squat.

So -- do you want to be the chief cook and bottle washer forever and ever? Do you want to be taking care of him and any kids you two have, too? 'Cause I'm doubting that he's interested in changing (or in changing any diapers), as his life is far too kick ass awesome right now. All he pays is a little unpleasant attention and he gets all of that from you! What a bargain!

As Ann Landers used to say: throw the bum out.

If he loves you and wants to be with you, really, he'll find a way to suddenly take his tests, or get a driver's license, or do something truly meaningful and start contributing to the relationship. But I doubt he will, or for long, so be aware of that as a potential issue, that he'd come back and change briefly but not for good.

Toss him out of your life and tell him he doesn't get you back until he's really and truly changed. He needs motivation, and there it is.

But be prepared to live without him, 'cause my money is on him not changing. Sorry.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 10:52 am
@loneill8,
Totally agree with Jespah. You are wasting your time, energy and good nature on this butt pimple. I would suggest you find a good man who will appreciate you and be a real partner in life. Being alone is better than being with a lazy loser. Do it now before you waste anymore of your youth.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:07 am
@jespah,
Here's a test for you. Move out. Get your own place, pay your own bills and if this guy still wants to date, by all means, go out on dates, but let him live his own life. He will either mature and learn to fly or hit the ground. You will be better off knowing which it's going to be.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:08 am
@loneill8,
Sounds like he's still letting you down.

My suggestion is give him his walking papers, and tell him to look you up again when he has a job.
0 Replies

mm25075

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 11:20 am
I was in your exact position and tried to make my ex see it was his responsibility to provide for himself. I tried for 12 years and eventually became clinically depressed. Other posters have got it spot on.

Move out to your own place and provide for yourself. If he truly loves you he will find a way to get done what he needs to.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:39 pm
You are the third woman this summer I know who has this same issue: a non productive partner.

Why doesn't he drive? What is he doing all day? Is he a procrastinator? What about his parents and /or siblings - are they of the same temperment?

You need to notice the red flags - he just doesn't have the fire under him and he is a dreamer.

I agree with others: break if off, see if he can swim or sink, and then you can have any kind of relationahip with him you want 9or not0

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:45 pm
Dump this deadbeat.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:50 pm
Who is feeding this guy? He's 23 years old and sits on his butt all day and those around him are enabling his laziness. Hunger is a great motivator. Is he living at home with his parents? Do you both live with your parents? If your folks like him so much then I suggest one of them moves out with him and see how well he does.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 03:08 pm
I will only ever love me a man that takes care of himself.
And cooks for me.

You and your nagging will not change him.
It's your decision whether you want a guy who can care for himself, or a guy that you will have to take care of.
0 Replies