Long Distance

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:37 am
Is anyone here in a long distance relationship? How do you deal with it?
I'm in one myself, it's going amazingly well so far Smile but knowing how other people deal with theirs might give me ideas or tips Smile
The trick for us is have something we can be looking forward to, like being together the following month or for our birthdays, holidays, etc...And lots of money spent on the phone Rolling Eyes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,033 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Wy

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:34 pm
Is there a cell phone plan with unlimited long distance included? Several people I know have that kind of plan here, but I don't know about Europe...
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 01:47 pm
I dont have a contract cell phone Evil or Very Mad the pay as you go thing is crap I never have money when i really need the phone Mad
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:02 pm
I found my long distance relationship went very well when we were apart. When we got together things weren't so good.

It didn't last! Confused
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:12 pm
Have nothing good to say about long distance relationships. Mine didn't work. Twice. Better luck with yours, andrea.
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:38 pm
margo wrote:
I found my long distance relationship went very well when we were apart. When we got together things weren't so good.

It didn't last! Confused

Mine is perfect when we're together Very Happy It works well when we're apart too but sometimes one of us feels down for some reason and there's nothing the other can do about it...thats the bad part. He's terribly busy with university so we don't talk as much as we used to Evil or Very Mad I'm pretty busy too but it gets quite bad when one's busy and the other has too much free time Confused
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 03:00 pm
mine worked! seven years and we now live together. three of those years i lived back home in slovakia, and let me tell you, at times it was tough. we have separated twice, but always kept in touch via emails and phone calls and voila, here i am. but margo has a point, it was always more difficult when we were together, you build up so many misconceptions about the other person without the direct contact, and especially at the beginning put him on a pedestal. then in real life, after awhile, the differences float up, and you either deal (that can be trying) or it dies. it is vacation style of loving, but needs some long term being together to figure out if its viable or not. best of luck!
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 03:50 pm
long distance for 2+ year....married for 20+ years....It can work!
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 04:11 pm
i like hearing about long distance relationships that have worked Very Happy
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 04:26 pm
Me too!
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 05:31 pm
we're so cheesy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 08:49 pm
I've been involved in 2 long distance relationships - both with English men (you'd think I'd learn!)

The first one lasted a lot longer than it should have - because we were apart. There's a huge cultural difference between the Australians and the ultra-conservative English. I was so independent, which didn't help. Australia truly is another world for some people.

In the second case, we both have similar Irish heritqage, so the differences were not quite so great. He had already been to Oz when I met him, so he knew what we were like. That was just a lack of effort. I'm still in touch, but it's a non-event.
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 09:47 pm
maybe the brits are keen on long distance Laughing
my bf is english
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 08:06 pm
Andrea,

Two things that you might check into to help cut down the telephone costs.

Check into using an internet telephone. There are many services available. Also, purchase a supply of cassette tape and record messages to send back and forth. If you're handy with computer stuff, you could even make some CDs with photos and sound to send to each other.
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 09:49 pm
The problem with that is that he doesn't have broadband anymore and it won't be avalaible where he lives until december! I had thought about the tape thing already but I'm crap at doing that and I'm sure he wouldn't send it either lol We have a little notebook thingy where we write messages to each other, but we dont send it back and forth, we read ti when we're together and when we get back home the other person keeps it Smile it's sweet hehe
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2003 11:08 pm
I've done it twice with the same girl. Both times, well the second time at least, we both knew it was temporary. The first time I knew I was coming back, but she had her doubts.

Anyways, we spent a lot of time talking on the phone. This last time, I took our cell phone out with free longdistance, and talked to her and the kids that way, as well as chatting online. The first time, I racked up quite a phone bill at my parents place.

So it worked out for us. But like I said, both times we knew it was temporary, and we knew that we'd be back together. It wasn't like I met her on the net or one of us moved away to college. . .

Edit:
Butrflynet wrote:
Andrea,
Also, purchase a supply of cassette tape and record messages to send back and forth.

Actually, my grandparents used to do this all the time with my grandpa's sister, who lived in Hawaii while my grandparents were in Oregon. They used the microcassettes, and as they did it for years, it must have worked out pretty good. Tapes are cheap, so you could save the tapes and listen to them whenever. I don't remember how long it took to fill up a tape, but they all seemed to enjoy it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2003 08:28 pm
Another good thing about the cassette tapes is that when you are feeling lonely and missing the other person, you can always just pop in a cassette tape and listen to it to help you get through the moment. You might also record some of your telephone calls with each other and then you can play back those too when you just need to hear his voice.
0 Replies

tatugurl03

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:05 pm
you could have night and weekend minutes ir you could call collect although that would cost he/she money. hope that really helps.

-tatugurl03
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 04:05 pm
I had to deal with being apart from my wife alot when we were still dating as I went through basic and AIT and then all the other training and getting stationed at ft. bragg at 1st instead of benning and after all that my tour of duty abroad......I'm not sure how we made it through but in the end it made us realize how much we really love each other and how much it hurt to be apart.
0 Replies

-andrea-

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 04:23 pm
just booked plane tickets 8) 18 days Very Happy GO ME!!
0 Replies