My post-retirement struggles to find work

Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 04:58 pm
My hope is for this to become a very short thread. The idea for it stemmed from Freeduck's topic about her advertising for employees for her family business. It will highlight my efforts to find some decent employment in order to make a little extra money.

Background:
My background is that, for most of my working life, I've basically worked for one company (utility) for 32 years, retiring from it at 55 in 2006. I held three different positions within the company, retiring as an electric and gas meter reader. The other two was as an inventory clerk, and for a short while, a customer service clerk (on the phone).

I had decided to retire at 55 for several reasons, the main one being that I was eligible for a full company pension at that age. It's "okay", but not enough to do things like take vacations. Another important reason was that my wife and I had managed to pay off the mortgage on our 3 bedroom townhouse in 2005. Finally, as well, I just really wanted to get out of meter reading. It can be quite grueling.

My routes consisted of walking city routes and also driving rural ones. The dog problems, with the rural ones, was at times quite extreme. The last straw for me was when I was involved in an incident with a rottweiler and pitbull in February 2005 (you never forget). Not to go into any detail, but the rottweiler bit my right arm good. I said to myself, I'm getting too old for this stuff, and I never wanted to be the meter reader struggling to get to age 65 and retiring then. It's a job for a younger person.

continued...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,513 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 04:58 pm
Some recent factors affecting employment in British Columbia
As some of you may know, we have the 2010 Winter Olympics coming here next year. There was a window of time in 2006 /2007 and half of 2008 where employers were begging for workers in the construction trades to build the various venues. This had a ripple effect, because for some things, they were willing to train. This phase is long over now.

As well, the place to be for quite a long time was Alberta, the province immediately bordering us to the east. A lot of folks went and were paid well. I have heard of fast food jobs being paid $12 to $14 per hour! Unheard of in normal times. Now, hard times has hit that province, too, with big hits to the oil and natural gas industries.

Abbotsford, the city where I live, is about an 1 1/2 hour drive east of Vancouver, and has a population of about 130,000, located in the Fraser Valley geographic area. The area has quite a mix of industries, but still farming, and associated businesses, accounts for one of the bigger employers.

continued...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 04:59 pm
So, after officially retiring at the end of April 2006 (actually my last working day was just before Christmas 2005), I pretty much took it easy for a while. Since part of my retirement plans did include working at least part time, I did keep my eyes open in our local newspapers and some job sites. There wasn't anything that really interested me, so I took a chance and dropped off a resume cold at a major assisted living complex, within a 5 minute walking distance from our home. It was for "kitchen help".

Quite frankly, I was surprised to get a phone call not too long afterwards for an interview. It went well, and subsquently, I was offered a casual, part time job as a dishwasher /dining room help, which paid $13 per hour, which I thought was quite decent. I was a bit nervous about the dining room part, as it mostly involved taking meals from the kitchen to the seniors sitting at the tables, etc. It was extremely important not to get meals mixed up, as some had different diets, but all went pretty good.

I was there from February 2007 to September 2007. Regretfully, I had to end up leaving, as my wife had to have a major operation, and she needed my me at home to help her out, and for me to tend to the various chores. It's just as well, as this went on for about 4 to 5 months before she was more like her old self again.

I'm playing catch-up here, so I can't remember the various jobs now that I sent resumes out to, but the next job that I did get was working at a dollar type store (July 2008 to April 2009) called Fivebucks. It's an experiment by the Dollar Giant chain of stores (Canada) which feature items up to $5.

It was okay, having been part of the setting up of the store since Day 1. I was mainly doing stocking and merchandising, but I did do cashiering from time to time. Later on, I was given ordering responsibilities for various lines and even selected to be a key holder, at $9 per hour. Not great, but it was extra dough. The main thing was that it was full time work, which I now wanted.

Well, it comes along to early December 2008, and everybody's hours got cut back. Huh, before Christmas? Yup, apparently. The company had way over-projected sales revenues, and clawing back hours was the cure. In the meantime, I was looking around for full time work, while continuing there. It got so bad, at near the time I left, I was getting 15 hours per week.

Finally, a full time job did come by for $9 per hour again, working as a dishwasher in a new complex that featured a pub-restaurant, fancy restaurant, and a beer and wine store, all with a central kitchen. I figured it had potential.

Long story short, two days after I was hired, I got a phone call at home (about an hour before I was to show up for training), saying that I didn't need to come in, as they no longer needed me, stating that it was due to "over hiring". Huh? Who runs a major business like that?

So, that was a bust. Had a job, left a job for another job, and now, no job. I was angry and depressed about it all, and up to now, still looking for work. The phrase, "being treated as cattle" came to mind after that bad experience.

I'm going to try to list as many of the jobs I can remember that I've applied for since April 2009, and, from time to time, comment on some of the ads I've seen. It's a bit vague to start, but you'll get the idea. I'm trying to catch up to the present.

- various restaurants for dishwasher /kitchen help positions
- various retail stores
- various warehouse positions

Best Buy - Not too much to say on this one. I went through the online application process and decided I didn't want to work for these jokers. They make you pay $25 per logoed shirt that you have to wear, which, of course, you must return if you leave the company. I won't work for anyone that makes you pay for a manditory company uniform. It's outrageous.

Worker in a recycling plant - I had high hopes for this one, and had applied for a position here post-retirement. I think it paid $10 per hour, or so. Never had a phone call.

Warehouse worker for biggest fireworks distributer in Canada - This was just last week. I had an interview very quickly, but it became obvious to me that a person would be subject to layoffs at various times of the year. Also, their busiest time of the year was the two weeks before Halloween, where they were running shifts 24 hours a day. I was quite frank about it and said that I wasn't interested in working graveyard. So, no doubt I won't hear back from this outfit.

Napa Auto Parts delivery driver - I sent in a resume for this position Aug 28, but as yet, nothing. It maybe a bit early yet. Not sure what it pays, as it was "to be negotiated". Man, I hate that phrase!

Packaging and filling operator - This came up yesterday, very late in the afternoon. This has got real possibilities. It's for a company called Integra Adhesives. Basically, in a nutshell, the job calls for filling and packaging tubes of adhesive. More importantly, it's full time day work, and pays $10 per hour to start, and not asking for any specific experience. They're also offering a profit sharing plan, which sound interesting. I am wondering about the possibilities of a lot of strong odours in the work area. Hopefully, there's good ventilation. Fingers crossed.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:27 pm
@Reyn,
FWIW, I think you'd make a good parts delivery guy.

NAPA is not a bad employer, if it's a company store and not a franchise...

good luck.
Reyn

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Hi Rock, and thanks! Not sure at this point what they pay though, as it's "negotiable". I suspect it is not a franchise.

But, as time goes on and one doesn't hear back, more than likely it's not going to happen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, I meant to put higher up in the thread that the minimum wage in British Columbia is $8.00 per hour. This is now the lowest minimum wage rate in Canada.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:47 pm
Hi Reyn

(Please don't think I'm patronizing you, OK? But ... )

What are your general, around the home "fix it" skills like? I imagine they'd be pretty good.

If so, here's a suggestion: Handyman. The fellow who does my (very necessary) handy work around the home is doing quite nicely. He was previously employed in an executive position with a large department store in the city, but decided that this work was not too his liking & too stressful. He made the change quite a few years ago and is often in pretty hot demand (by the likes of folk like me!), I can tell you. He does everything from fixing dripping taps, painting, small scale renovation work, plastering, woodwork jobs, fixing leaking ceilings, etc, etc, etc ... The reason he's doing so well, I'm certain, is because he's reliable, trust-worthy & honest. Most of his new customers are gained via word of mouth (from folk like me). And I know you are all of those things, too! Smile

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 08:55 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

What are your general, around the home "fix it" skills like? I imagine they'd be pretty good.

I'm afraid the opposite - not good!

I don't have any real fix-it skills, other than painting (which I hate), and then it takes me forever!

I won't tell you for how many years I've been painting the interior of our townhouse. Laughing It's a standard joke in my family.

So, realistically, that isn't an option for me, as you suggested.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:20 am
Hey Ryan,

I live not far from you as you know...me I've switched from being an Electrician to teaching the four year apprenticeship at the major public technical institution in the Lower Mainland (you know the one). Although I don't have the time, I've also had offers to teach music at the middle-school level because of my college music background.

A friend who worked as a self-employed musician doing soundtracks for films etc switched to teaching music technology at a local small private institute.

If you have teachable skills you might consider something similar, and even if you don't have such skills immediately you might be surprised at your hire-ability with a few years of supplemental carefully chosen education.
Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:37 am
@Chumly,
Hi Chum,

I'm afraid I wouldn't have the temperment or patience to be teaching, especially to a class.

When I worked for BC Hydro, I did occasionally do one-to-one training, but I don't think I would really be interested in doing that now.

Thanks for posting your suggestion though.

Hey, isn't this cooler weather great? Wink Laughing
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:42 am
Your posting history indicates that the perfect job for you is:

Walmart Greeter.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:46 am
@Reyn,
No doubt it's trying keeping students (even mature students as I teach) focused!

My wife works for the hospital, she tells me that demand exceeds supply but as mentioned some training would be needed. Consider short-call staffing as you don't need much training, they need part time employees, and the pay/benefits exceed the skills/training because it's the good old Hospital Employees' Union!

Yup I'm OK with the rain, after-all I was born here so I've had my share of wet weather. When I hope for warm weather and then we finally get some, I wish for cooler temperatures, so what-the-hell!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:52 am
@Reyn,
shipping/receiving?

http://abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/jjj/
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 10:59 am
What about janitorial or care aide work in a nursing home. There will be lots of business, for sure. Or have you tried Lordco? They have lots of drivers.

I think it would help if you listed what you like doing, for work and fun, and see if we all couldn't come up with a composite job for you.

A few years ago, I put an ad in the local paper (West Van) to do elder care and within a week I got a job in Vancouver where I worked 3 days a week (slept in) and got paid $175/day in cash to do not much. Plus I got to sleep, so my days were not long. I worked there for one year until she died.

Care Aide training is relatively short and they're always in need.

Alternatively, what about in the kitchen? You could work as a prep cook (weighing food, chopping/slicing/dicing, etc) and it's not hard on the body. There are many kitchens in Abbotsford. Even at a hotel.

Really, anything goes these days except telemarketing (ick) and work in inclement weather.

Good luck, Reyn!!
Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 12:11 pm
@Mame,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Your posting history indicates that the perfect job for you is:
Walmart Greeter.

I'm not as friendly in person as I am here. As a matter of fact, I need a job that preferably doesn't deal directly with the public.

Chumly wrote:
[...] Consider short-call staffing as you don't need much training, they need part time employees [...]

Well, the new Abbotsford hospital is within a short walking distance from where I live, but I really would like full time regular day hours, so not to screw up the rest of my day. I also have to consider my wife.

ehBeth wrote:

That's one of the sites I look at each day.

Unfortunately, the job you are linking to is in Surrey (Cloverdale). There is no way I'm going to commute that far. In addition, it would up my car insurance, as I have to and from work within 15 km currently.

Plus, I have found from experience of applying for warehouse jobs, like shipping/receiving, they really prefer some prior experience /background, which I don't have.

Otherwise, yes, I wouldn't mind that at all.

Mame wrote:

What about janitorial or care aide work in a nursing home. There will be lots of business, for sure. Or have you tried Lordco? They have lots of drivers.

Janitorial would be okay, and I have applied for some jobs, but frequently, you're required to use your car to go from site to site, which is something I'm not keen on. Again, this would change my car insurance level. Plus, the hours are often late at night, or even graveyard. I would never want to turn my whole life upside down with hours like that.

What I really want is a day job, preferably with hours starting no earlier than 7am and ending no later than 6pm. I hope that doesn't make me sound picky, but I would like the life that I have with my wife not to be disturbed too much. After all, her role needs to be carefully considered in the equation at this time of our lives.

Kitchen work is still definitely a possibility. There is (from what I have heard) a Denny's supposed to be coming soon as part of a hotel complex. It is still under construction, and I do keep an eye on it. I will apply there if I haven't found anything by the time it opens.

I haven't tried Lordco, but will keep in mind.

The care aide idea is interesting, but not sure if I'm suited to the work. I have seen several ads here and there. From the ads I've seen, it's mostly part time work.

Yes to the inclement weather thing. After working outside for most of my working life, I'm only looking for an inside job! Laughing
Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 01:56 pm
I hate ads, like below, with silly and inane wording.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/photo40001.jpg

By the way, I don't believe a word of what it contains - making $20 per hour and no experience. Rolling Eyes

Yeah, right!
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 01:59 pm
@Reyn,
sales position...

ugghh.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:07 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Janitorial would be okay, and I have applied for some jobs, but frequently, you're required to use your car to go from site to site, which is something I'm not keen on. Again, this would change my car insurance level.

For sure. This, and the things that want you to "run errands" will grind your car into dust in no time. Sometimes it looks like they really want the use of a car and driver for minimum wage, without the inconvenience of insurance and maintenance. This could easily cost you more than they want to pay.

At least NAPA furnishes the vehicle, but as you say, the more time that goes by, the less likely it will happen.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:10 pm
@roger,
my advice with NAPA from the other side of the counter would be this:

pop back in on occasion for some small thing (WD-40, etc.) and just casually ask if they have filled the position yet, because you were interested.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 03:01 pm
I spent 6 months at the new Abbotsford hospital as an Electrician. If you would like full time regular day hours, so as not to screw up the rest of your day, that's doable with staffing as well, so says my Mrs. Chumly, and she ought to know, given that's what she does!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 05:40 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
[...] This could easily cost you more than they want to pay.
[...]
At least NAPA furnishes the vehicle, but as you say, the more time that goes by, the less likely it will happen.

Yes, exactly, that's the way I look at it, Roger.

Mind you, at this point it time, I'm rooting for the Integra Adhesives job, which was the last one that I have sent a resume for (late last Thursday). See below from Craig's List:

Packaging and Filling Operator [Integra Adhesives] (Abbotsford)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2009-09-03, 5:39PM PDT
Reply to: [email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Integra Adhesives - Abbotsford, B.C [Manufacturing Plant]

Packaging and Filling Operator
-Packaging and Filling Operator. [2 Positions Available][40hr/Week][Day Shift]
-This position involves packaging and filling tubes of adhesives. The work is light but repetitive.

Job Description
-Filling and packaging adhesives from semi-automatic filling machines.
-Maintaining an organized working environment with accurate records.

Job Specifications
-Self Motivated.
-Good Health
-Bondable
-Fluent in English.
-Strong attention to detail.
-Able to meet production goals.
-Able to take directions well.
-Able to work independently.

Compensation:
-$10.00 / Hr.[Starting Wage]
-Profit Share Plan
-Basic Medical / Dental Package

Clayton Turner
[Production Manager]

Please E-Mail or Fax your resume to:
[email protected]
Fax- [604-850-1354]

--------

Plus, there seems room for advancement. On the same day, there was a job in the same plant for a "batch mixer" paying $15-18 per hour.

Rockhead wrote:
pop back in on occasion for some small thing (WD-40, etc.) and just casually ask if they have filled the position yet, because you were interested.

Yup, noted, but to tell you the truth, Rock, see my comment above to Roger.

Chumly wrote:
[...] If you would like full time regular day hours, so as not to screw up the rest of your day, that's doable with staffing as well [...]

I will keep this in mind, Chum, but doesn't that mean working for Sodexho? I've heard some negative stuff about them.