Signs for a four-year-old at Mondays rally for health care.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:13 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
That's ebrown's daughter, and her sign. I sat aqcross from them on the train into Boston, and thought there was a chance that's who they were--asked him as the crowd got off, andin about a 5000 to 3 set of odds found out that, yes, that's who they were. I told her we were proud of her.

You are joking right? That would be some crazy odds (not just that you ran into them, but that I ran into the picture online).
eoe

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:18 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

America is becoming a nation of beggars all because a few people can't let go of a few dollars for the good of all.

That's it. You have said it all. Some would say "yeah well, they should have considered their finances when they decided to have that baby", right? Selfish bastards.
High Seas

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The odds depend on the percentage of demonstrators bringing along pre-school children to be used as billboards.
eoe

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

This kid is cute, made me think of this thread.

http://imgur.com/TGgE4.jpg

Told you she'd get coverage. Smile Very cute. And effective.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:28 pm
@Robert Gentel,
No joke. Those really are my feet. That's funny. I thought you made the connection somehow. I was surprised to see that picture, it was taken by a stranger and has apparently been linked to on several lefty blogs.

Have you seen a prettier liberal?
sozobe

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:32 pm
@ebrown p,
That's really her!! Wow, that's an insane coincidence.

Yes, very cute. Very Happy
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:34 pm
@eoe,
eoe wrote:

Green Witch wrote:

America is becoming a nation of beggars all because a few people can't let go of a few dollars for the good of all.

That's it. You have said it all. Some would say "yeah well, they should have considered their finances when they decided to have that baby", right? Selfish bastards.

ummm, ummm, ummmm... that one pushes my hot button. selfish bastards indeed.

and totally full of b.s. considering how many of them i've heard in the past saying that a woman must carry a pregnancy to term whether she chooses to, or can afford to, or not. based on their beliefs, not the woman's.. then, with their job of interfering done, they turn their back and walk away and wash their hands of any responsibility for that new life.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:36 pm
Robert, no, not joking, at least not about the fact that that is ebrown's arm and feet and his daughter, and her sign. Or that the people sitting across from me on the train were ebrown, his dad, and his daughter, none of whom I knew beforehand. The odds,, admittedly, were not a mathematical calculation, but I think it was fairly unlikely we'd have taken the same train, at the same time, the same car of the train, been sitting opposite each other, and that they'd have been identifiable, even tho the sign wasn't one we suggested. And despite High Seas' cynicism, she wanted to participate. More power to her, and to ebrown, and to a sane health care policy. As the thrust of the rally clearly was, Public option, si se puede.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:36 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

The odds depend on the percentage of demonstrators bringing along pre-school children to be used as billboards.

i enjoyed being a 4 year old billboard when my parents took me to a rally for Nixon/Lodge.

High Seas

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:37 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Glad to hear it - what was written on your sign?
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:37 pm
ebrown, she's great, you're right.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 12:56 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

Glad to hear it - what was written on your sign?

we didn't have hand written signs. it just said Nixon/Lodge blah blah... it was a long time ago. i didn't get to meet him until the '68 election, and then only briefly.

point is, children at political rallies is neither new or a particularly democratic invention.

i just found 2 of these at the ol' ancestral dtom estate last year ;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-%22Nixon-and-Lodge%22-campaign-button-_W0QQitemZ260445452453QQcmdZViewItem#ht_500wt_887

sorry for the link. the image is the wrong type of file to post directly.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:06 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
No joke. Those really are my feet. That's funny. I thought you made the connection somehow.

That is pretty crazy, I thought of you as soon as I saw it, but in the a "wouldn't that be an insane coincidence way" that I didn't begin to take seriously.

Quote:
I was surprised to see that picture, it was taken by a stranger and has apparently been linked to on several lefty blogs.

It's made the rounds alright. I saw it on reddit where I believe it hit the front page.

Quote:
Have you seen a prettier liberal?

She's adorable!
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 9 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
@High Seas,
Probability calculus can't be very popular with posters here, judging by the numbers who marked that post down. Unless they're anti-Bayesians <G>
0 Replies