Confusion of punctuations

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:31 pm
Should comma be put in double quotation marks? Like:
“Power and Money: How They Steal,” ====>>> "“Power and Money: How They Steal”, ?

Context:

But so many officials are engaging in the same practices that in Hong Kong there is a cottage industry in books that detail the private lives of corrupt officials, with titles like, “The Sexy Record of High-Ranking Communist Party Officials,” “Power and Money: How They Steal,” and “Shared Mistresses: Lust and Caution Among Chinese Officials.”
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 889 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 08:37 pm
The rule of thumb is that a comma goes inside the quotation marks. (JTT, of course, might argue with that.)
JTT

Reply Thu 3 Sep, 2009 09:26 pm
@Merry Andrew,
“The Sexy Record of High-Ranking Communist Party Officials,” “Power and Money: How They Steal,” and “Shared Mistresses: Lust and Caution Among Chinese Officials.”

I'll leave the rules of punctuation to you, okay, Merry.

But I do have a genuine question. Even in a case like this?

If the titles were italicized, would the comma also get italicized?
0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 12:22 am
American English places commas and periods inside the quotation almost all of the time, making exceptions only for parenthetical citation and cases in which the addition of a period or comma would create confusion, such as when quoting a keyboard entry or a web address. The British style places them inside or outside the quotation marks according to whether or not the punctuation is part of the quoted material.
oristarA

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 08:41 pm
@contrex,
Thank you Contrex. That is a comprehensive explanation obviously.
0 Replies