70 years ago, WWII started

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:42 am
No, it's not exactly right on. The United States invaded Afghanistan late in 2001, but did not invade Iraq until 2003. So there is no basis for a claim that Canadians were fighting the good fight in Afghanistan while the U.S. "rushed" into Iraq.

That's the kind of problem you run into when you propagandize, rather than look at the facts with as much objectivity as possible. So, for example, objectively, the second world war began in Asia in 1937, when Japan and China went to war, and not in Europe in 1939.

People here have accused me of being "USA-centric." At no time in my posts about when and where that war started did i mention the United States and their part in the war. But so many people around the world get all worked up at any mention of the United States, and are willing to mention it themselves out of context just so they can get worked up.

I'll tell what i've seen here, i've seen a "Commonwealth-centric" point of view which makes out that the only significant aspects of the second world war revolve around England and her former colonies. In fact, the biggest threat to Australia was not anywhere in Europe--it certainly wasn't Germany. The biggest threat to Australia was Japan. Waxing emotional and getting hot under the collar while slamming the United States (apparently, the favorite indoor sport of people living in the Commonwealth) will not inform anyone about the facts regarding the second world war.

The second Sino-Japanese War, which began in 1937, has a far better claim to be the beginning of World War Two than does the invasion of Poland. Get over it, and find better excuses to vent your spleens on the subject of how much you despise the United States.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 11:46 am
@Intrepid,
I'm still more than just thankful for the Canadian emgagement in WWII - otherwise, I couldn't have heard every morning and all day "At 87.8 on the FM-dial, this is Canadian Forces Radio CAE in Werl, Germany…". ( AFN Frankfurt was only on AM, and BFBS just had one or two good music shows.) Wink
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:07 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

No, it's not exactly right on. The United States invaded Afghanistan late in 2001, but did not invade Iraq until 2003. So there is no basis for a claim that Canadians were fighting the good fight in Afghanistan while the U.S. "rushed" into Iraq.

That's the kind of problem you run into when you propagandize, rather than look at the facts with as much objectivity as possible. So, for example, objectively, the second world war began in Asia in 1937, when Japan and China went to war, and not in Europe in 1939.

People here have accused me of being "USA-centric." At no time in my posts about when and where that war started did i mention the United States and their part in the war. But so many people around the world get all worked up at any mention of the United States, and are willing to mention it themselves out of context just so they can get worked up.

I'll tell what i've seen here, i've seen a "Commonwealth-centric" point of view which makes out that the only significant aspects of the second world war revolve around England and her former colonies. In fact, the biggest threat to Australia was not anywhere in Europe--it certainly wasn't Germany. The biggest threat to Australia was Japan. Waxing emotional and getting hot under the collar while slamming the United States (apparently, the favorite indoor sport of people living in the Commonwealth) will not inform anyone about the facts regarding the second world war.

The second Sino-Japanese War, which began in 1937, has a far better claim to be the beginning of World War Two than does the invasion of Poland. Get over it, and find better excuses to vent your spleens on the subject of how much you despise the United States.

I don't despise the US. Never have, never will.
I didn't put any dates in my post. Didn't think I needed to. I didn't say Canada alone battled the Taliban in Afghanistan but they are in the stationed in the worst of it. So far, per/pop Canadians have the worst death rate of any of the invading armies. I do think that if the US has concentrated their efforts in Afghanistan, instead of spreading out into Iraq, the war might have had different consequences by now, the Taliban may have been annihilated.
I don't think I'm alone when I say the US rushed into Iraq. Many of your fellow citizens think the same thing... Considering many of the excuses for starting were false.
I think your just a little too sensitive but I could be wrong there.
I mean ... it could happen. ;-}
ehBeth

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:17 pm
@Ceili,
hehehe

you're kinda naughty for a sweater grrrl
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:35 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The "America First" movement was strong there, and my distant impression, from hearing stories about it and subsequent reading, is that it was largely motivated by impressions of the folly of WWI; the pointlessness of the European rivalries that led to it; the uselessness of our intervention in 1917; and distaste for the economic & political movements that emerged from the war and the revolutions it produced.

One might assume from that George that the America First movement was led by a gaggle of pious aunties rather than by hard-headed robber barons with an eye on the main chance. As far as I know history does not teach that Princes refrain from war for any of those reasons.

My inclination is to suspect their reason being that the drain on American resources attending a war would retard the sale of motor cars. And possibly transfer elsewhere substantial allocations of funds. At that time they could have been forgiven for believing that motor car sales had almost no limit to which they might rise to that they dare think about. Subsequent events have shown that such optimism was hardly unfounded.

Hitler was building autobahns so that his people could weekend on the coast en masse. America First could have worked with that. Assuming they believed, as they so fervently would have done, that Hitler was building autobahns for the reason he said he was rather for strategic use.

I suppose such a belief, or expression of self-interest if you prefer, would be considered un-American in some circles and putting America First in other circles where Minderbinder is spoken of with approval. And he was a very attractive character and the casting director of Catch 22 found the right man to play him.

georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 12:42 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

One might assume from that George that the America First movement was led by a gaggle of pious aunties rather than by hard-headed robber barons with an eye on the main chance. As far as I know history does not teach that Princes refrain from war for any of those reasons.

My inclination is to suspect their reason being that the drain on American resources attending a war would retard the sale of motor cars. And possibly transfer elsewhere substantial allocations of funds.

I don't know for sure just what was the motivation. I recall my father saying that one war in this century to save the British Empire was enough. There was also the widespread belief that our entry in WWI had been a mistake, and that we (and the Australians at Gallipoli) had been duped.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:03 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I didn't say Canada alone battled the Taliban in Afghanistan but they are in the stationed in the worst of it. So far, per/pop Canadians have the worst death rate of any of the invading armies.
Agreed. Indeed the Canadians there - unlike the Continental NATO allies - have been willing to get out of their bases and actually engage the Taliban.

Ceili wrote:

I do think that if the US has concentrated their efforts in Afghanistan, instead of spreading out into Iraq, the war might have had different consequences by now, the Taliban may have been annihilated.
Implicit in this is the assumption that the U.S. should do most of this work wherever it happens to be. Whether you think the series of post WWII conflicts in which we became engaged were worthwhile or not, the fact is we didn't get much help from Canada in many of them.

Ceili wrote:

I don't think I'm alone when I say the US rushed into Iraq. Many of your fellow citizens think the same thing... Considering many of the excuses for starting were false.
I mean ... it could happen. ;-}

The excuses for entering Iraq were just that, ... excuses that were "acceptable" to our allies and the UN. I suspect the reasons were quite different -- sufficient, but sadly incorrect.
spendius

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:46 pm
@Setanta,
Set seems to think there is something wrong with him being USA-centric if he feels he needs to defend himself with carefully worded indignation flock-beds.

I'm USA-centric and don't mind admitting it. It may be an old USA of my nostalgic phantasies associated with dark cinemas and gramophone records. It may be that our lot are such simpletons that they ceased to be amusing.

That's why I defend these states and parishes and whatnot from slimy attacks on their right to teach biology any way they want however stupid their voters are. It's odd how declaring the voters stupid from 1000 miles away stands service for an argument that they should not have elected who they did.

Variation is the very stuff of evolution. How do you get favourable mutations which live longer than average if you have no mutations? You have to put up with the unfavourable mutations to get at the favourable ones.

I'm a proper Darwinian. It often makes me smile when someone who can barely read or write informs that that I know nothing about evolution.

I have a vague idea how wars start too. There would have been no WWII if Anthony and Cleopatra had defeated Octavian at Actium. And the last month might not be called August either. And they might have done if the lady had not gone chicken at the last minute. War is when diplomacy becomes exasperated.

You never know what variant biology lessons might come up with. I know what non-variant biology lessons will look like when in the hands of the Prime of American Womanhood. Pressing flowers eh?
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:57 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Ceili wrote:

I do think that if the US has concentrated their efforts in Afghanistan, instead of spreading out into Iraq, the war might have had different consequences by now, the Taliban may have been annihilated.
Implicit in this is the assumption that the U.S. should do most of this work wherever it happens to be. Whether you think the series of post WWII conflicts in which we became engaged were worthwhile or not, the fact is we didn't get much help from Canada in many of them.

No George, I'm not implying or assuming anything. Not even close... From what little I know of warfare, it makes sense to consolidate your forces, not thin them out over two massive countries, fighting different groups, insurgents, home grown terrorists or the people that simply want to see an invading armies backside..
I'm not going to get involved in a discussion about the glorious battles Canada's missed out on either. I make no judgement on the conflicts we skipped out on, Vietnam, Grenada, the bay of pigs, most of cold war rhetoric etc. I have no knowledge on the reasons Canada did or did not join, aside from saying we have shed plenty of blood over the past century and maybe we were tired.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 01:57 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I don't know for sure just what was the motivation. I recall my father saying that one war in this century to save the British Empire was enough. There was also the widespread belief that our entry in WWI had been a mistake, and that we (and the Australians at Gallipoli) had been duped.

I've read a fair bit on both sides of this and I can assure you it is a mystery. Being on one side is basically an act of faith.

Everybody is talking after the event anyway. And they have all read the books they want to read. It is futile to argue with your contention above. It's been done to death.

And "widespread belief" is an expression that I hope you don't think I am impressed by. I've already thought up three very good reasons for me not being impressed by it.

Four.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:00 pm
Jesus spendi. What the hell are you on about. I've reread your post three times and I still can't figure it out.
Good lord, edit.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:05 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:

I would agree, except that the Taliban have "privileged sanctuary" in Waziristan and Pakistan, so i doubt that we could have put them out of business. I don't think it is a stretch, though, to suggest that as things stand, the NATO intervention has put al Qaeda out of business, or as close as doesn't matter.

Quote:

I would agree with this, too. However, your comment was that Canada went to Afghanistan while the United States rushed into Iraq, and that doesn't happen to have been true.

Quote:

You are wrong there. I said that the second world war did not start in Poland on September 1, 1939, and pointed that out by saying that the Ethiopians and Chinese might not agree. I said that the claim was Euro-centric. Thereafter, more than one poster said i was being, in the words of the Wabbit, "USA-centric." I hadn't mentioned the United States or its role in the second world war. Therefore, i consider it reasonable to suggest that people in this thread jumped upon the opportunity to portray the United States as a villain.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:06 pm
@Ceili,
He's read my views on this subject before, and is evidently weary of them (or at least the experience of rereading it). He is also saying there is no bridging differing opinions of past events.

I can understand both. Spendi is wrongheaded, but a good guy nevertheless.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:07 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Agreed. Indeed the Canadians there - unlike the Continental NATO allies - have been willing to get out of their bases and actually engage the Taliban.

It is only simple justice to note that the English and the Dutch have been willing to do the same thing.
spendius

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:16 pm
@Ceili,
Look Ceili- you know nothing about this stuff. Nothing. I don't expect you to understand my posts.

Wars are not to be discussed in this frivolous manner. Why we are in Afghanistan and Iraq is a mystery to some well informed people. I presume we have what we think, those who lead us I mean, a very good reason. If only what happens if we don't. And if that is thought "unacceptable" then we do. And once we do it is not like doing the washing.

You should forget about these things and leave it to others. Have you no dusting to do?

You see-- you give the dangerous impression that it is oh so easy to understand and your arm can sweep across the battlefields in one sweet phrase and it just isn't like that at all.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:18 pm
@Setanta,

One of the Black Watch was killed there this week and he wasn't English.
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:27 pm
@McTag,
And doubtless would not have appreciated having been so described. Bloody Sassenachs . . .

I'm sure les habitants feel much the same. The "Van Doos" have been deployed to Afghanistan now. This corrupted name comes from their having been designated the Royal 22nd Regiment, which in their language is vignt-deux, and "Van Doos" is an English-speaker's corruption of the pronunciation.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:27 pm
@Setanta,
Well, I wonder who killed the German soldiers when it is says "died in hostile activities".
Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Jesus Christ . . . why doesn't every f*ucking gang up now . . . will everyone who is proud of their fellow countrymen for dieing in Afghanistan please post now, and get it out of their system?

The fact remains that the hot spots in southern Afghanistan have been the operational areas of the troops from the UK, Holland and Canada.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
He is also saying there is no bridging differing opinions of past events.

Yes I am. In general and in particular.

The ones who discuss this matter a lot have an emotional reason from somewhere and they have imbibed the arguments of each side. So the more they discuss the matter the wider the gap gets between them because at some point, an early point, their pride is in the balance and even takes over to the extent that the emotional content vanishes.

And having expert sounding arguments also panders to their pride and eventually the war itself becomes a sort of toy. A word game.

Only taking causation back as far as your own attention is a bit unscientific.