22
   

Child abduction victim found after 18 years in captivity

 
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  2  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:05 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

I've no doubt that a guns nut like yourself would certainly do.

But I'd like to see what would your reaction be, unarmed, in front of an armed adult, at age of eleven..

Boasting, sitting in your couch, is so easy..
U FALSELY accuse me of boasting, Francis.

U shoud be ashamed of that.
U shoud apologize, unless u identify the boasting
and justify your point of vu.

I dispute that my ways are "twisted" and I call upon u to indicate
how thay are "twisted" but I am glad to be predictable & thank u for that observation.

Francis wrote:
Quote:
I'd like to see what would your reaction be, unarmed,
in front of an armed adult, at age of eleven..

The answer is simple: its the same at any age,
one must wait for an opportune time to attack,
conceive of an effective plan to get the job done,
and then do one 's best to kill him as fast as one possibly can.

Depending upon relative skill and luck,
one will succeed or fail.

I think that is ez to understand.

Woud French boys act differently ?



David
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  6  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:16 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
It needs to be pointed out that I never called anyone a liar.


According to Setanta he's been calling her a compulsive liar because of you "pointed it out". While you may not have said as much explicitly you do seem (to me, at least) to be trying to hint at it even if you aren't being a jerk about it.

Francis wrote:
But the need Aidan has to justify her positions is another matter..


When people call you a compulsive liar repeatedly that might have something to do with wanting to substantiate your stories. I've seen aidan ignore this several times, with Setanta bombastically telling her she's a "liar" and her being remarkably nice in return. It should come as no surprise to you that this treatment will eventually evoke a defensive reaction. Hell, that is a big reason I'm so fed up with Setanta acting like a total boor on a2k and I wasn't even the person he was being rude to. The start contrast of aidan's politeness to the Setanta's churlish attacks was the last straw for me and if he were going around calling me the compulsive liar I'm sure I'd have reacted a lot earlier than aidan did. Wouldn't you?

Francis wrote:
As Debra Law wrote:
aidan: this thread isn't about you.


Francis, as far as I can tell you were the one who first made aidan's honesty the subject of the discussion in this thread. If you insinuate that someone is lying (or even "embellishing" as you now prefer) don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to then pull an "off topic" on them when they defend themselves? Where was this sentiment when you guys were painting her as a compulsive liar on this thread?
0 Replies
 
Francis
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 02:55 am
Robert wrote:
According to Setanta he's been calling her a compulsive liar because of you "pointed it out".


People own their opinions and I'm not responsible for that.

If you are not aware, Setanta is probably referring to a case where Aidan was caught in flagrante delicto, for which she apologized profusely.

I acknowledged that and forgot the case.

and wrote:
While you may not have said as much explicitly you do seem (to me, at least) to be trying to hint at it


I do not consider Aidan a compulsive liar.

I'm just upset by what I consider to be a tendency to embellish the reality.

This can be a very good social skill like when you compliment a woman for her beauty, while thinking she doesn't desserve half of what you said.

But when it comes to serious matters like child abuse, I think people should use a bit more thought before boasting.

If it's true, ok, but I don't believe it.


and wrote:
If you insinuate that someone is lying (or even "embellishing" as you now prefer) don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to then pull an "off topic" on them when they defend themselves?


Are you insinuating that I said something worse before and I'm now using euphemisms?

This argument would be over a long time ago if people took contradictions for what they are: just contradictions.
Robert Gentel
 
  4  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 03:45 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
If you are not aware, Setanta is probably referring to a case where Aidan was caught in flagrante delicto, for which she apologized profusely.

I acknowledged that and forgot the case.


That's not what I recall, over two years later you and Setanta brought it up and Setanta called her "pathetic" and you asked her for proof of the apology. Now here we are two more years later and things don't seem very forgotten.

Quote:
But when it comes to serious matters like child abuse, I think people should use a bit more thought before boasting.

If it's true, ok, but I don't believe it.


If what is true? On this thread you were criticizing her hypothetical claim that she'd have "fought" her captor, and considered it boasting. She said she thinks nothing less of the victim for not having escaped earlier and this is something a lot of people here on this thread seem to be having a hard time accepting: that her failure to escape is simply not a criticism of her and that discussing it simply isn't to demean her in any way.

It is no boast to hypothesize that you would do differently, as it's no slight on her for not doing so.

Quote:
Are you insinuating that I said something worse before and I'm now using euphemisms?


No, I think you pretty consistently use this form of understatement. I do, however, think you are being more cautious about it now that it's being criticized.

Quote:
This argument would be over a long time ago if people took contradictions for what they are: just contradictions.


So she should just take the criticism and not defend herself so as not to prolong an argument that you started, but you are free to defend yourself? That is a rather one-sided off topic card you are playing.

You do realize that this has been going on for over four years now right? What makes you play the let it go card now? I've been wondering when her attackers planned to let it go for years. Now that I start speaking up about it suddenly it seems all the rage.
0 Replies
 
Francis
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 03:53 am
Robert wrote:
Now that I start speaking up about it suddenly it seems all the rage.


Can't you see how your arguments sound just like nitpicking rethorics?

If you want to make a mountain out of a molehill, it's up to you.
Robert Gentel
 
  5  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 03:58 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
Can't you see how your arguments sound just like nitpicking rethorics?


No. There are simple non-rhetorical facts I am citing. This nonsense has gone on for over 4 years now. If it wasn't nitpicking to keep harassing her about it it certainly isn't nitpicking to criticize the harassment.

Quote:
If you want to make a mountain out of a molehill, it's up to you.


So calling her "pathetic" and a "compulsive liar" for years is a molehill but calling this behavior rude is a mountain? We'll have to agree to disagree on that.
Francis
 
  -3  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:01 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert wrote:
So calling her "pathetic" and a "compulsive liar" for years is a molehill but calling this behavior rude is a mountain?

Are you sure you are talking to me, or about me, Robert?

You are misleading people..
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:07 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
Are you sure you are talking to me, or about me, Robert?


I am talking to you, yes but the behavior I initially criticized was Setanta's, not yours, and I've already made that very clear.

I've acknowledged that you haven't been verbally abusing her like he does. But that is the kind of boorish behavior that I began to criticize here and would be what is being made a mountain out of by your estimation.

Quote:
You are misleading people..


Here we go again... Laughing
0 Replies
 
aidan
 
  3  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:21 am
@Francis,
Quote:
I'm just upset by what I consider to be a tendency to embellish the reality.

Embellish reality how? I'm a lowly public school TEACHER for Christ's sake (not this year - but for most of my working years). If I were going to embellish reality - wouldn't I say a was a researcher or professor or child advocacy lawyer (which actually - I'd have loved to have been).

I spend the majority of my time ferrying kids around, cooking, washing dishes, doing laundry, walking my dog, listening to music and reading newspapers and the occasional book (when I have time).

What do you not believe? That I have talked to people who have experienced abuse? That I know myself and my personality enough to know that I'd get myself killed in the same situation? That I feel for this girl and every victim of abuse?

And as per my ONE lie on this forum - I was not caught or found out in it. I did it deliberately and I almost immediately regretted my behavior and confessed and apologized. It was an immature and kneejerk prank/reaction to what I thought was something similar done to me.

For goodness sake - move on.

But one thing you said was interesting to me: that I have the skills to mislead.
Why would I want to mislead? I would only mislead if I wanted something from someone I couldn't get by being myself. I don't want anything from anyone on this forum except interesting discussion and a few laughs. I don't have to mislead to obtain that. And I respect the creators and participants here too much to do that.
People aren't jokes to me Francis. They do not exist for my amusement.
That's the god's honest truth.

Setanta
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:34 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
You just finished saying that you started calling her a liar because of Francis who is "on his/her trail", and ehbeth has added support (but not evidence) for that accusation a few times too. That is several people.


That doesn't make it a vendetta, and it is not an appropriate use of the term vendetta. What happened here did not involve any name-calling or abusive language, until you showed up to escalate the situation. I've noticed in the past that Aidan seems to have had a life experience to match just about any controversial discussion in which she becomes involved. Francis pointed this out here, and said it bears repeating. Now you want to characterize this as "abusive" because someone makes and observation with which someone else agrees. You're the one who is prolonging this sidetrack of the topic, and making it the central issue. Therefore, it seems to me that you bear as much responsibility, and really more responsibility, as anyone else for continuing a discussion which Aidan might find unpleasant. Congratulations.

This is no vendetta. People don't follow him/her around to get on his/her case about this, but if it comes up, it's perfectly reasonable to acknowledge the doubts that several of us have--but that doesn't make it a vendetta.
aidan
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:42 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Therefore, it seems to me that you bear as much responsibility, and really more responsibility, as anyone else for continuing a discussion which Aidan might find unpleasant.

Actually, I've appreciated reading his point of view and interpretation of the situation.




0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 04:48 am
@aidan,
This is an example of the problem that i have with this member:

Quote:
I'm a lowly public school TEACHER for Christ's sake (not this year - but for most of my working years).


Within the last year, this member has, in the context of a discussion in which they claim would have given him/her some authority, to have worked extensively with people who were incarcerated. In another discussion within the last year, this member has claimed in another context (once again, apparently to appear authoritative) to have worked extensively with immigrants. Challenged on that, his/her response was to the effect that the immigrants were incarcerated awaiting deportation.

It's all just too much of a stretch of credulity that his member seems so often to have had experience which would seem to lend authority to his/her statements. In view of an earlier admission that he/she had lied about his/her gender in order to see what reactions he/she would get, it stretches credulity to the breaking point.
aidan
 
  4  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 05:50 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Within the last year, this member has, in the context of a discussion in which they claim would have given him/her some authority, to have worked extensively with people who were incarcerated. In another discussion within the last year, this member has claimed in another context (once again, apparently to appear authoritative) to have worked extensively with immigrants. Challenged on that, his/her response was to the effect that the immigrants were incarcerated awaiting deportation.

It's all just too much of a stretch of credulity that his member seems so often to have had experience which would seem to lend authority to his/her statements.

Really? You can't fathom that someone with a teaching certificate and training in adult literacy and numeracy might work teaching in prison?
And that some people in prison might be there for visa and/or passport fraud and awaiting deportation?
I don't know how to help you understand how that could work if you can't do that yourself.

Quote:
In view of an earlier admission that he/she had lied about his/her gender in order to see what reactions he/she would get, it stretches credulity to the breaking point.

oh my goodness - why spend so much of your time worrying about it?
djjd62
 
  2  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:16 am
so, ummm, we're NOT supposed to lie about ourselves here

boy is my face Embarrassed

aidan
 
  4  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 06:19 am
@aidan,
Quote:
It's all just too much of a stretch of credulity that his member seems so often to have had experience which would seem to lend authority to his/her statements.

I also spoke on that immigration thread to the fact that I am an immigrant myself. Whether you choose to believe me or not - the fact of the matter is that I am an immigrant.
I can talk about whatever I please. Your acceptance or belief about what I say is not an issue with me.
I do not like having my character defamed however.
Setanta
 
  -2  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:21 am
@aidan,
So, it's not an issue, but you don't like having your character defamed. Seems rather contradictory to me. Your character is viewed as it is based on what you post--get over it.
0 Replies
 
Setanta
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:24 am
@aidan,
This is hilarious. You spend a full day teaching, and then volunteer to work in a prison, which just conveniently is filled with people accused of violating immigration laws. My, my . . . you are so very busy. When did you ever find time to raise your children?

It is just because of the implausibility of claims such as this that i doubt your veracity. And i don't worry about it, i just comment on it.
Francis
 
  0  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:26 am
djjd wrote:
so, ummm, we're NOT supposed to lie about ourselves here


No we are not, but you can lie as long everybody knows.. Mr. Green

In addition, you can learn things from us:
- How to be mean, for example..
Setanta
 
  -1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:28 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:
. . . but you can lie as long everybody knows . . .


Or you don't get caught . . . for example, i have to confess that i am not really a legendary Irish hero . . . but no one seemed to have noticed so far . . .
0 Replies
 
Francis
 
  1  
Reply Wed 2 Sep, 2009 07:30 am
Setanta wrote:
that i am not really a legendary Irish hero

Really?

Who would have known?
0 Replies
 
 

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/23/2020 at 10:23:53