Child abduction victim found after 18 years in captivity

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 12:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
Me too. I saw the interview with the step dad this morning and couldn't stop the tears. You could also see the anger he felt toward this "man" that kidnapped his daughter. You can see if he had the chance, that man would suffer from this dad's bare hands.

I did appreciate that the interviewer stated she is your daughter not step daughter - because did it really matter he wasn't her biological dad - he was the only dad she knew.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 01:00 pm
Watching News right now:

Sheriff Rupf says that in November 2006, law enforcement authorities missed an opportunity to rescue Jaycee. They received a 911 call stating that people, including children, were living in the back yard of Garrido's home. Police made contact with Garrido in his front yard and informed him that there were codes against living outdoors in a residential neighborhood. No attempt was made to view the backyard.

Sheriff Rupf stated that the officer who responded to the call didn't have access to a database, didn't know that Garrido was a registered sex offender, and treated the call as a code violation. The Sheriff is apologizing, stating that authorities should have been more curious and probing, and that the entire department deeply regrets missing this opportunity to rescue Jaycee.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 04:36 pm
The thinking now is that the guy may be a serial killer of prostitutes, according to a news broadcast I just finished watching.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:45 pm
Quote:
Cheyvonne Molino and her husband, James, said they had known Mr. Garrido in a professional relationship for about a decade but only recently met his two daughters with Ms. Dugard " apparently named Starlite and Angel " most recently at a birthday party on Aug. 15 at a local community center.

While the younger child seemed happy and carefree, Ms. Molino said, the 15-year-old seemed overly dependent on her father. “Before walking across the room, she was checking to see if that’s O.K.,” Ms. Molino said. “She’d ask, ‘Dad is it O.K. if I go here?’ ”

Diane Doty, a neighbor, said she had encountered Mr. Garrido on the street recently and was even more disturbed than usual by his demeanor. “He said he hadn’t seen me in a while,” Ms. Doty said. “And he said, ‘You’ll see me on the news soon.’ ”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/29/us/29abduct.html?pagewanted=2&hp

I wonder for how long he tried to get caught. For sure it took at least several attempts.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 06:29 am
elisabeth fritzl
natascha kampusch
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 07:27 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
Quote:
My idea of justice would be for someone with a magic wand
to wave it at the perpetrator and have him
suddenly develop a conscience so he would see himself as the rest of us see him.

I 'm pretty sure that this will be dismissed as foolishness, but
I 'll offer it anyway: some of the folks who have returned from death
in hospitals (defined as no EEG, no EKG nor respiration for a while)
have reported what thay described as life-review experiences
wherein thay saw the significant events of their lives.
Some of these decedents have described feeling the discomfort
that thay inflicted on others, and even the derivative secondary
discomfort of people who were not present at the scene.
(I have extrapolated from that, the possibility of empathetically feeling
the happiness that u inflict upon them as well.)
My point is that u might get your wish, Green Witch .

Green Witch wrote:
Quote:
David would just shoot him in the head and then go make a sandwich.
Its better to go to a good restaurant.

In these circumstances, I 'd just let them be run thru the legal process.
Obviously, there is a major question of non compus mentis,
qua his fitness to stand trial; it remains to be seen how things
work out for Mrs. Kidnapper.

My advocacy of capital punishment is less intense than it once was.
(I took great pleasure n satisfaction in the electrocution of the Rosenbergs in 1953.)
We know for a fact that the perpetrater WILL die.
Its only a question of whether he will be subjected to unpleasant circumstances b4 he does.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

The kids of JAycee have never attended school
and Jaycees own socialization essentially stopped when she was 11. REally saad.
Can we call David in to adminster some punishment?
David is not the punishment guy (as a general rule); David is the self-defense guy.
David does not follow in the footsteps of Jack Ruby.
Rather than avenging the offense,
David prefers that it had been prevented in the first place by successful defenses.

Whenever I read of this sort of thing, I always wish that the victims
had not obayed the liberal gun control laws.
Weakness makes good victims, from the predators' perspective.

Its better to be tried by 12 than to be carried by 6
or to suffer the effects that were manifested in this case for years on end.

The story always has a happy ending (or happier ending)
when the victims dispatch the predators. When thay kidnapped her,
it was in a contest of power. The predators depended upon her
being too weak n feeble to resist -- like a butterfly.
The purpose of being well armed is to be able to control the situation as well
as possible, if a predatory emergency arises, as it did in this case.
Part of defensive preparation is tactical training & practice for accurate shot placement.

From the age of 8, I took measures to not be defenseless.
I never actually needed those defenses until well into adulthood,
1000s of miles away, but it is better to HAVE a gun and NOT NEED it,
than it is to NEED a gun and NOT HAVE it.

In this situation, or in one like Polly Klass,
I think it 'd have been a much better result
if one of the victims had
opened up with some good firepower
on Richard Davis with his knife or the same on this pervert.

The moral issue, the logical issue of gun control resolves itself down to one question:
does the human victim have a natural right to possess
as much power as the predator?

The Founding Fathers who wrote the Bill of Rights
are on MY side concerning personal defense. It was deemed a virtue.
It still shoud be.

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 12:01 pm
Quote:
But it became increasingly clear Friday that this 18-year nightmare did not have to be for Dugard, with new details surfacing that authorities blew numerous chances to catch her alleged captor.

Neighbors complained to law enforcement that a psychotic sex addict was in their midst, alarmed that Phillip Garrido was housing young girls in backyard tents. A deputy showed up to investigate, but never went beyond the front porch.

Probation officers showed up at the home, too, but had no inkling that his back yard was actually a labyrinth of tents, sheds and buildings that were Dugard's prison. They did not even know he had children on the premises.

Garrido also wore a GPS-linked ankle bracelet that tracked his every movement, the result of his sex-crime convictions that sent him away to Leavenworth for a 50-year stint, only to get paroled after 10 years.

"Why is he out and about?" said Dan DeMaranville, who investigated Garrido in the 1970s rape case in Nevada. "If he's on lifetime parole, where was his parole officer? The guy was a sick puppy, and should have been neutered before he was paroled."

The outrage came as a sheriff's department acknowledged that it missed an opportunity to arrest Garrido in 2006 after the neighbor complaint about children in the yard.

"We missed an opportunity to bring earlier closure to this situation," Contra Costa County Sheriff Warren E. Rupf said. "I cannot change the course of events but we are beating ourselves up over this and continue to do so."

"We should have been more inquisitive, more curious and turned over a rock or two."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090829/ap_on_re_us/us_kidnapped_girl_found
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 02:53 am

Violent recidivists shoud be BANISHED from the North American Continent, on pain of death.
(That does not include those upon whom capital punishment has already been executed, or will be.)
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Violent recidivists shoud be BANISHED from the North American Continent

and where do you think they'll be banished to? what gives North Americans the right to send people to any other country?

(hint - they have no such right)
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:02 am
@ehBeth,
I believe they should live in sheds in David's back yard.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:07 am
@edgarblythe,
and listen to his silent trees
boomerang

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 10:58 am
It's been driving me crazy -- trying to remember the story that this one reminded me of.

Today it finally clicked: Carole Smith (aka: the girl in the box) who was kidnapped by Cameron Hooker and his wife, Janice. The stories are strangely similar.

Read all about it: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/criminal_mind/psychology/sex_slave/index.html
Rockhead

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 11:17 am
@boomerang,
boomer, you just freaked me out...

I used to stay in red bluff once a year. never connected it with the Hooker's story, which I remember now from the news back then.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 01:51 pm
See Article and Pictures here:

Jaycee Lee Dugard's prison: First pictures of filthy backyard jail where religious fanatic held kidnapped girl

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 01:58 pm
@Debra Law,
The pics leave out the pool, the shower, and the piles of toys found. The talk of this being a prison compound is overstated by half. Alissia felt that she was married to this perp, she did not think of herself as a prisoner.

BTW- did you known that the perp was in jail some of the time that these women were "prisoners"? Maybe you want to come up with a new label for them, because "prisoner" does not work.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 02:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The pics leave out the pool, the shower, and the piles of toys found. The talk of this being a prison compound is overstated by half. Alissia felt that she was married to this perp, she did not think of herself as a prisoner.

It was paradise. We all strive to have such happiness.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 02:02 pm
@ehBeth,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Violent recidivists shoud be BANISHED from the North American Continent

ehBeth wrote:
Quote:
and where do you think they'll be banished to?

some uninhabited island owned by America

ehBeth wrote:
Quote:
what gives North Americans the right to send people to any other country?
Nothing that I know of;
I did not propose that we do that.
(Some 'd probably accept the criminals, if we paid them enuf.)

ehBeth wrote:
Quote:
(hint - they have no such right)
I know that.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 02:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I believe they should live in sheds in David's back yard.
No, no -- thay shoud live in tents in Ed's front yard.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 02:03 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

and listen to his silent trees
Thay don 't say much.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 10:31:13