Swine Flu/N1H1...A Big Deal-Or Not?

emma-xx

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 09:30 am
@maporsche,
ah i thought that that was only a rumour - that you were more likely to get it if you were healthy. Still although there is no cure, having good personal hygiene does help prevent it (i think). Yet you are right about the immune systems - without a doubt we couldn't live through some conditions other people live through day to day. however, i still think that too much fuss is being made about swine flu.... but we shall have to wait and see. Grey's Anatomy? :S
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 4 Sep, 2009 10:16 am
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

[.............
it does seem that the spread of the swine-flu had not been predicted . northern-native communities in canada were hit fairly hard in the early summer . it is being blamed on general lack of proper hygiene - contaminated water - non-existing or broken sewer facililities .

Hamburger - the fact that "minorities and indigenous peoples" are at very high risk from H1N1 has long been publicised by WHO (World Health Organization) in Geneva. Hygiene may well be a factor, but the "viral chatter" analysis (a mathematical technique for dating a virus from the moment it crossed from animal to human host) shows that genetic factors are at work. Recall the virus crossed from pig to human in a mountainous area near Mexico City, presumably to an "indigenous" human host.

The other known major risk factors in addition to race are obesity and ages between 5 and 55.

Vaccine now exists and is effective in one dose for (tested) ages 3 to 60. Anyone who doesn't meet at least 2 of the 3 major risk factors shouldn't worry - chances of contracting H1N1 in any but the mildest form (milder than the common flu) are almost nil.
High Seas

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:04 pm
@High Seas,
Further good news from the WHO: vaccines will be produced in sufficient quantities to vaccinate everyone meeting all three criteria for high risk by the end of September, and those with only 2 criteria by mid-October. Pregnant women by definition meet one criterion, age group 5-55, but the vaccine itself can cause harm to a fetus, so unless they also meet the other 2 criteria they should consult a doctor.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:10 pm
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:

There are new federal triage guidelines in case of H1N1 emergency. Right now obese H1N1 patients are placed in a medically induced coma for weeks, but that takes up scarce resources like beds, antibiotics, IV drips, respirators, nursing staff etc. If we really do get the tens of millions of new cases being predicted, these people will just have to be turned away; hospitals and other medical facilities now enjoy civil immunity in that respect.

Can you document this?
High Seas

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:29 pm
@roger,
Sure, several such cases are registered with the CDC, at least some should be in general news also... Here goes: enter "medically induced coma h1n1", get thousand of hits:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/28/earlyshow/health/main5271440.shtml
High Seas

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:39 pm
@High Seas,
PS if you enter the same search terms adding another term "obesity" you get a couple of thousand hits - on a medical database, which I'm using, but even Google comes up with almost 2 thousand. For the 3rd risk factor listed "minority or indigenous" that's the wording on the WHO announcement, but is also borne out in statistics for worldwide deaths from H1N1. Other groups previously at danger from other flu viruses (AIDS patients, eg, or the elderly) remarkably seem at very low risk from this one.
roger

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2009 02:59 pm
@High Seas,
Well, fan me with a blowtorch. It's all there, so now it's only almost incredible.
High Seas

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 09:34 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Well, fan me with a blowtorch. It's all there, so now it's only almost incredible.

Stands to reason, though, so I'm not sure why you found it hard to believe. Left to their own devices the obese will continue eating, so they have to be placed in a coma until the antibiotics can do their work. This been known since the very start of the epidemic:

Quote:
...Fat cells secrete chemicals that cause chronic, low-level inflammation that can hamper the body’s immune response and narrow the airways, says Tim Armstrong, a doctor working in the WHO’s chronic diseases department in Geneva...What’s more, excess fatty tissue compresses the chest, and the fatty infiltration of the chest wall causes a decrease in lung function and an increase in the pulmonary blood volume..... “If you are obese, you tend to be less physically active and have an associated shallower breathing pattern. All these compound, leading to breathing difficulties.”....The morbidly obese are also more likely to experience insulin resistance, a condition that makes it harder for doctors to lower the level of sugar in the blood of critically ill patients...

http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601202&sid=aM.7Dg3Z_msI
In poor countries these people are just plain left to die, and we may get there too if we really get as many cases as predicted >
Quote:
The first two people to die from the bug in Peru -- a 38- year-old woman and a 4-year-old girl from impoverished areas on the outskirts of Lima -- were both obese ...

> triage rules are to leave out the very fat (they'll probably die anyway) and the very thin (they'll probably make it on their own anyway) and to only admit the in-between patients, ie those to whom intensive care is likely to make a difference.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 12:14 pm
@maporsche,
Porsche - the poster wandered here by mistake thinking we're talking about black female singers / actresses / other professionals afflicted by wardrobe malfunctions. Presumably for the same reason she keeps marking down my posts - anyone with facts contradicting some prejudice is guilty. In this case though it's probably my fault, since I'm the one who posted the pic of our new surgeon general nominee, who may not get confirmed after all since she was discovered to be on the payroll of Burger King as scientific adviser - word in DC is she was getting paid in merchandise Smile
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:50 pm
@High Seas,
ONE SHOT SHOULD DO:

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090910/swine_vaccine_090910/20090910/?hub=TorontoNewHome

Quote:
One dose of swine flu vaccine should do: experts
Updated: Thu Sep. 10 2009 6:33:45 PM

The Canadian Press

TORONTO " Mass vaccination programs against swine flu are going to be a lot easier to mount than first thought, experts said Thursday after the fast-tracked publication of studies showing one dose should be enough to protect most people.

rolling up sleeve ... ...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:54 pm
@JPB,
...agreeing with jpb.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 04:59 pm
@High Seas,
and nodding with high seas about stability.. so far.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:13 pm
@realjohnboy,
Right, re how many the common flu(s) kill, johnboy. I have perceived a lot of overstating in the last number of years.. on the other hand, I wouldn't want to be in a position of responsibility on the decision making, say, in the WHO (I had an iffy take when reading about the most recent head of it, at least at the time) and the CDC. Some pathogens can be scary in action.. and have been.

"Swine" seems to be the major part of the scare scenario and some of that is arguable by those more recently involved with the world of microbiology than I am.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:17 pm
@hamburgboy,
hamburgboy wrote:

parents have been advised NOT to send their kids back to school wearing face-masks : apparently the ordinary ones don't give any protection and would just add a fear-factor.

Nods.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 10 Sep, 2009 05:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Oops, I didn't mean that the numbers of those killed by ordinary flus were overstated - just a general comment.
High Seas

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 02:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Ossobuco - was it your father who used to fly near nuclear explosions to take pictures, or am I confusing you with someone else? I just came across this picture - stunningly beautiful in spite (or because of) the awesome power involved; it's from a French test in the Pacific in the '60s:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/1559510790_c3b0704e4c_o.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:02 pm
A first hand description of H1N1 from a professional who caught it.

(sounds nasty... a lot like the other flu's I've had)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:27 pm
I'm not sure how much the mortality rate differs from normal flu, but pregnant women are 1% of the population, but are 6% of the deaths from H1N1.

Children with asthma are 6% of the population, but are something like 1/3 of the deaths (maybe only 1/3 of children deaths) from H1N1.
sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 03:58 pm
@DrewDad,
Not sure if DrewDad was speaking generally or responding to the Gupta article, but I'm far less concerned about getting it myself than my daughter getting it. It seems to be a pretty standard flu for people my age (38) that hits children her age (8) harder than a standard flu.
High Seas

Reply Wed 23 Sep, 2009 04:41 pm
@sozobe,
Statistics so far this year for pediatric influenza don't seem dramatically different from previous years:
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2008-2009/images/IPD36_small.gif
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/