Swine Flu/N1H1...A Big Deal-Or Not?

High Seas

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:49 am
@roger,
There are new federal triage guidelines in case of H1N1 emergency. Right now obese H1N1 patients are placed in a medically induced coma for weeks, but that takes up scarce resources like beds, antibiotics, IV drips, respirators, nursing staff etc. If we really do get the tens of millions of new cases being predicted, these people will just have to be turned away; hospitals and other medical facilities now enjoy civil immunity in that respect.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:01 am
@High Seas,
The medical system is broken, so anyone who expects it to deal well with a pandemic of deadly flu is delusional. Pray that swine flu stays relatively benign.
ebrown p

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:05 am
I have an acquaintance at work who is continuously worried about the "catastrophic" affects of global overpopulation.

Now he is very worried about the swine flu.

There is no pleasing some people.
High Seas

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:15 am
@hawkeye10,
The gods help those who help themselves, and Obama isn't doing his health care reform agenda any good by nominating for Surgeon General someone with the cubic displacement of a small truck - wonder if she will ever get confirmed, whatever her medical qualifications may be:
http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2009-08/48532589.jpg
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:19 am
@ebrown p,
Know just what you mean, brownie. There are people who worry as an avocation. And that's only because nobody will pay them for it.
High Seas

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:21 am
@Merry Andrew,
I think the point here was that you cannot logically worry about a problem and its solution when both happen simultaneously.
maporsche

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:24 am
I don't mean to sound cold-hearted; but I'm actually kind of looking forward to the H1N1 deal.

It should be very interesting; and if mother nature does it right, it could correct many problems our society now faces.

I believe for example, that the highest levels of obesity are in republican states.

We're at probably 20% real unemployement; think of the job openings that this could create.

Healthcare costs are up due to obesity, think of the savings we'll seee there.

Obese people obviously eat more food, which contributes to global pollution and warming; that'll come down.

j/k of course.........maybe....... Twisted Evil
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:28 am
@High Seas,
I got the point, Helen. I got it. Just wanted to comment on worry warts in gdeneral. Sorry. Carry on.
High Seas

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:32 am
@Merry Andrew,
Sorry, Andrew, it's just I've been going over the fine print of the new federal and state guidelines - after, and if, a H1N1 emergency is declared - and was told by the travel agent that we'll have to buy extra insurance for tickets (first class is getting very expensive, as is business class) overseas travel. It seems the feds can now tell us we can't leave town, or the state, or go to countries they place on "plague" lists or whatever the legalese is.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:34 am
@maporsche,
and, if the flue kills a high percentage of the old, as flu usually does, the bankruptcy of SS will be delayed.
maporsche

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 11:35 am
@hawkeye10,
Exactly.

Win-win?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 02:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
Oh, I do not think this flu is that hard on old people - sonny.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 28 Aug, 2009 04:21 pm
I have the BBC on my computer's "Favorites." I was wandering around there today and found a bunch of articles about SF.
There was a map showing CONFIRMED cases of SF by country (source: European Center for Disease Prevention and Control). The ECDC took over the stat-keeping from the World Health Organization of the UN last month.
As of 31 July, 2009:
Worldwide - 177699 confirmed cases; 1126 cases;
By country,
#1 - U.S. with 43771 cases and 1126 deaths;
#2 - Australia with 21109 and 58.
There was also an article about the issue I tossed out to get this thread started; namely, are the various health agencies and the media over stating the risk. The conclusion seemed to be that there is a history of that, ranging back through 3 or 4 other perceived threats in the last 20 or so years.
By the way, in some article, reference was made to the fact that the "common flu" that occurs every year, kills 500000 annually.
emma-xx

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:28 am
i dont think swine flu is such a big deal.... yes its killed a few people (a very few compared to the number of people who have had it and mostly in poorer, less prepared countries) , but to be honest i dont think its any more serious than normal flu (all the people i know who've had it are fine and said it wasnt a big deal) also most places are pretty well prepared for it. But it doesnt need to be in the news every day like it was! that was annoying!!!!!
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:42 am
@High Seas,
maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
@Butrflynet,
What does this have to do with swine flu?
maporsche

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:58 am
@emma-xx,
The thought though emma, is that it's been killing people in the southern hemisphere where it's winter there now; it hasn't been killing people in the northern hemisphere because it's summer and the flu is less likely to spread during the summer months (for a variety of reasons, which you can google).

It will soon be winter in the USA and other developed countries; otherwise known as flu-season; hence the concern.
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 11:09 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
The thought though emma, is that it's been killing people in the southern hemisphere where it's winter there now; it hasn't been killing people in the northern hemisphere because it's summer and the flu is less likely to spread during the summer months (for a variety of reasons, which you can google).

It will soon be winter in the USA and other developed countries; otherwise known as flu-season; hence the concern.

that's what researchers and health professionals in canada are saying too .
it seems to be impossible to accurately predict the outcome of the "swine" flu - there are simply too many unknowns .

parents have been advised NOT to send their kids back to school wearing face-masks : apparently the ordinary ones don't give any protection and would just add a fear-factor .

it does seem that the spread of the swine-flu had not been predicted . northern-native communities in canada were hit fairly hard in the early summer . it is being blamed on general lack of proper hygiene - contaminated water - non-existing or broken sewer facililities .
the canadian government is now "hoping" to rectify those problems : too little-too late imo .

from the article by the CBC :

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/manitoba/story/2009/08/28/swine-flu-first-nations.html

Quote:
Health Minister Leona Aglukkaq and a First Nations chief had widely divergent views Friday on the state of flu pandemic preparedness plans for aboriginal communities.

Aglukkaq told a parliamentary committee hearing in Ottawa that 90 per cent of 600 First Nations communities have a plan. In contrast, Grand Chief Sydney Garrioch of the Manitoba Keewatinowi Okimakanak said only two of 30 communities in his northern territory have a plan for dealing with the swine flu pandemic.

When Opposition MPs asked why the federal government is not contributing to pandemic kits for First Nations in Manitoba, Aglukkaq responded by asking whether purchasing soap should be federal responsibility, and that medical supplies are available from nursing stations.

Aglukkaq noted that aboriginal communities in Canada are younger on average than other communities, with a higher number of pregnant women and people with diabetes, which make them more vulnerable to severe disease from the H1N1 virus.

Soap without water
Dr. David Butler-Jones, Canada's chief public health officer, said all families should have basic supplies on hand, such as Tylenol for flu symptoms, a thermometer to check for fever, soap and water and potentially hand sanitizer.

But several native leaders described their frustrations from trying to deal with the pandemic when they lack running water, face overcrowded housing and insufficient funding. ... ... ...
emma-xx

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 06:49 am
@maporsche,
yes.... but the countries in the southern hemisphere got the worst of the flu straight away, if only because of the weather and the fact that it caught them by surprise. Thanks to the delay in the seasons, we are now prepared for the people most in danger to be saved from the flu. Also the southern hemisphere has more less developed countries than the northern hemisphere, so that is another factor to how many people die - because of the differing standards in hygiene (as we all know the best way of preventing swine flu is washing your hands!). However, there are still more important things to be worried about... like crossing the road! that still kills more people than swine flu!
maporsche

Reply Sun 30 Aug, 2009 08:09 am
@emma-xx,
There is no cure for the flu emma. And despite all of our hygiene, the flu still spreads like wildfire each and every year.

Many believe that our "superior hygiene" makes us MORE susceptible to swine flu, as our bodies immune systems are not up to the challenge.

You're right though; there are bigger things to worry about. Like whether or not Izzie or George will live in the coming season of Grey's Anatomy. Laughing Laughing