My gigantic hand

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 05:56 pm
Suddenly, my hand is gigantic. Seriously.

Let me explain:

Over the last week I had to paint several multipaned windows and some trim work -- all of it had to be painted by hand as it's intricate stuff.

After a couple of days my hand really started to hurt and swell so I put some ice on it and wrapped it up in a bandage. The next day it didn't hurt at all but it is enormous. Now, a few days later, it is still colossal! But, hurray, it doesn't hurt at all.

The hugeness starts just below my fingers, runs across my thumb, the back of my hand, and into my wrist. Seriously, it's like a hand and a half thick. It truly looks bizarre -- like I've had a hand transplant.

Is it possible to increase the size of your hand muscles through exercise?

Will my hand go back to normal or am I stuck with an elephant hand?

Thanks

djjd62

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:00 pm
not sure what to tell you, but here's a little talking heads to keep you entertained while you wait

Joeblow

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:02 pm
@boomerang,
Sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Dunno. Maybe a spider bite?
dyslexia

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:09 pm
@boomerang,
when you point your big hand straight up it will be noon or midnight.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:17 pm

U shoud seek professional medical attention.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:26 pm
@Joeblow,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 06:56 pm
@boomerang,
Drugs, Darlin' . . . you need some heavy-duty drugs . . .

When I was a child, I had a fever.
My hands felt just like two balloons.
Now I've got that feeling once again.
I can't explain, you would not understand.
This is not how I am.

I have become comfortably numb.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:05 pm
@boomerang,
It certainly seems possible, but so soon after doing it I'd say it may still be somewhat swollen. And your hand muscles are also bigger.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:07 pm
So many things come to mind:

gout
arthritis
muscle strain
wrist strain
insect bite

Motrin and Ice it and see if it goes down. If not, get to the Dr. He/she will take xrays for sure to rule out break.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:19 pm
Interesting music and drugs would most certainly benefit me but not for the right reasons.

I don't think it's an allergic reaction. I know about those. Interestingly enough my "roast beef" finger on the other hand is really swollen from where I reached down to turn on a faucet and got stung by a bee.

My hands are a mess I tell you!

I was convinced I'd go to the doctor the other day when it hurt so bad but now it doesn't hurt at all, except maybe my sense of vanity, so I don't think gout or arthritis or anything is the problem -- those things would hurt, wouldn't they?

I just hate to waste a doctor visit on "big hand". Seriously, I painted about a gazillion board feet with a one inch paint brush. I still have rooms and rooms of trim and windows to paint. I don't want to exercise one hand into some freakish steroidal looking monster hand.

Hmmmm.... maybe I could strap a paintbrush to my belly and get those abs I've always dreamed of.....
Ceili

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 07:54 pm
Boomerang please go to the doctor. The bodies natural defense against any irritant whether it be a sprain, allergy or injury such a cut is to swell up. If the part of the body remains in this state further damage can occur...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 09:22 pm
@boomerang,
Is it possible that you got stung by a bee on this hand too? It doesn't sound like it would be from holding a paintbrush.

Do you have any tingling in your fingers? Go to a doc right away if yes to tingling.

Is the swelling spreading? Did it always reach up into the wrist or did it start out smaller? Go to a doc right away if the swelling is spreading.

Have you finished the project? Go to a doc if the activity has stopped and the swelling hasn't started going down.

Is the swelling from the bee sting on the other hand more extensive than you'd expect from a bee sting (localized swelling at the sting site but not more than approx quarter-size in diameter)?

Do you get big golf ball to baseball sized welts from stings? If so then this could be a reaction to a sting that you don't remember getting.

Is there any discoloration/bruising?

I think you should get it checked out by a doc. Particularly if you've got a bunch more painting to do.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:07 pm
I have painted a gazillion feet of trim, and my hand has never swelled to the size you are talking about.
Anti-inflammitory and the doctor.
(I'd be going to see my Orthopedic Doc, if it were me)
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 11:14 pm
I just googled "swollen no pain hand" and did find this little blurb that is interesting...WIth the swelling, I would be concerned with compromising the blood flow to that area and possible tissue and blood vessel damage. You can try applying ice to the area several times a day (20 min at a time with the ice or cold pack covered in a towel to prevent frostbite, 3 or 4 times a day) continuing with the anti inflamatory medications and possibly wrapping the hand to assist in reducing the swelling.
http://en.allexperts.com/q/First-Aid-995/swelling-hand.htm This was also written to in reply to someone who was far from serious medical attention.

I dunno, could swelling squish enough nerves that you wouldn't feel the pain? If that's true, than it seems like there could be a chance of nerve damage if you don't have it looked at?

I'm no Doc. I use my hands for a living and I had Carpal Tunnel surgery.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:21 am
@boomerang,
Could you call and ask some questions? I do this with my children and once for me - just to get advice on what to give them or do for them. Usually you can talk with the nurse practioner or doctor and s/he can give advice based on symptoms and tell you if you should come in.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:41 am
@boomerang,
I'd have it seen.

Sounds weird to me.

And no muscle development is gonna do that!!!

Are you at least keeping it elevated above your heart whenever you can to help it drain?

Sounds lymphatic to me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:08 pm
Awww. You guys are so sweet.

I can actually see a few bones in the back of my hand today so the swelling is going down.

Mo had a sports physical today so I took the opportunity to ask our doctor about my hand. She said it was most likely tendonitis. The remedy? Ice packs and support bandages -- exactly what I had been doing.

I'm on the road to recovery!

Thanks everyone.
dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:11 pm
@boomerang,
when the big hand goes down to 9 a.m. you can make left turns.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:12 pm
@boomerang,
this bud's for you, boom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb55EniWVSY
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 01:13 pm
@boomerang,
even cowgirls get the blues.
0 Replies