a car wreck/accident

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:35 pm
Does British people say "a car wreck" instead of "a car accident"?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,057 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:47 pm
@jinmin1988,
People is plural, so you would write: "Do British people say "a car wreck" instead of "a car accident." The locution "car accident" sounds rather contrived to me. I'm an American, but i believe that the British would say "a car crash" rather than either wreck or accident. Americans would be likely to say "a car wreck," and if they used accident, they would very likely not modify it with car. So, if i say: "Did you hear? Thomas was in an accident."--speakers of the American language would understand it to mean an accident in an automobile. However, if i said: "Did you hear? Thomas had an accident."--an American would probably ask what kind of accident, but would not think of an automobile accident.
jinmin1988

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 09:21 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you, Sentanta.
Quote:
So, if i say: "Did you hear? Thomas was in an accident."--speakers of the American language would understand it to mean an accident in an automobile.

Do you man British language?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:04 pm
No, i meant the American language. The Americans and the British both speak English, but they speak it in ways which are sufficiently different that it is not inappropriate to speak of the American language.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:09 pm
not to de-rail or presuppose any significant eligibility as an expert on the language, but I did spend the last week as an interpreter for some English people in rural Missouri, and there are some interesting differences.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:21 pm
@jinmin1988,
Car accident, in my view.

Certainly not wreck.....possibly crash.
roger

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:28 pm
@dlowan,
Sure. Trains wreck; cars crash.
dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 12:25 am
@roger,
Sometimes smash.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 02:10 am
@roger,
Quote:
Trains wreck; cars crash.

In British English, (which is what the questioner was asking about), trains and cars "crash" (verb), they can also be in "crashes" (noun), in which they are "wrecked" (verb). British people often hear and read about Americans who sadly are in train and car "wrecks" (noun). In the 19th and early 20th centuries, trains were often in "smashes". (At my school, a certain dish, a stew containing tomatoes, was known as "train smash") In formal British English, as seen in e.g. police, medical and insurance reports, one might see "road traffic accident", often abbreviated to "RTA".

Trains don't just "crash" into (collide with) other trains or obstacles on the line; they also figure in other types of incident such as derailments, etc, which, strictly speaking, may not be "crashes".
0 Replies