gollum

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 07:49 pm
I try to eat healthy food. I search for food reasonably low in calories, fat (e.g., 0) and saturated fat (e.g., 0). I am reasonably successful in that regard.

However, these foods almost always are high in sodium. Today, I tried to buy a sandwich at Quiznos but the sodium was expressed in four figures. Subway was only a little bit better.

Why are so many foods so high in sodium? Is one particular ingredient responsible? Can it be removed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,791 • Replies: 4
No top replies

spikepipsqueak

Reply Thu 20 Aug, 2009 08:04 pm
@gollum,
In cheap, flour based food, salt= flavour. You'll have to munch on a carrot from the greengrocer if you want to avoid salt, fats, carbs and still get takeaway.

The salty, fatty sauces mask the nenatured food.
jespah

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 03:44 am
@spikepipsqueak,
Simple answer: make your own food.

Most takeaway (like spike says) is flavored with salt because (a) it's cheap, (b) it masks other things if you're getting foods that are lower in fat, etc. because fat and sugar are also cheap flavorings and (c) it's used for preservation.

Get a salad, dressing on the side, or just get oil and vinegar for your dressing and you will avoid a lot of salt. There is still salt in growing plants -- you will never be 100% free of it, nor should you be, as it is a necessary nutrient -- but it's far better than standard takeout fare. Tomatoes and fish are often preserved with salt, and cheese of course is made with it.

Keep as well within 2400 mg/day as you can, and recognize that some days you'll be over, and that's healthy and as good as can be expected in our busy lives these days.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 07:30 am
@gollum,
If it's any consolation, a healthy body can process large quantities of salt without harm. While there is some evidence that those with hypertension be at higher risk for heart issues, a normal healthy person will just get a little more thirsty.
gollum

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 06:21 pm
@engineer,
engineer-
How large a quantity of salt can a person consume daily without harm? Does high quantities of salt raise the blood pressure of some people? Is there a scientific study I can refer to that corroborates your statements? Do you have any medical or scientific credentials?
0 Replies