Tue 18 Aug, 2009 01:09 pm
So I went home for lunch today to walk the dog. I decided to watch some of the news while downing my lunch and tossing the ball to the dog.
I find out just a measly mile from my office, a hazmat team has been sent out to investigate. See details below:
Firefighters and other city officials went inside the building shortly after 8 a.m. after a neighbor's complaint about illegal dumping. The firefighters and inspectors saw a vehicle inside and a pile of wood and smelled the odor.
A total of four firefighters, two EMTs, and one building inspector came down with a rash. They're now being quarantined at a nearby firehouse.
Firefighters are suiting up in special protective suits this afternoon and taking meters into the building. "It's an old, decrepit warehouse. No idea what's in there, who owns it, anything..."
The department is treating it as a Level 3 hazmat incident, the most serious. Once officials realized there could be something dangerous, MacDonald said, "The idea was to take a step back, pull back, and we're treating it now as a Level 3 hazmat."
I have a rash (granted I had several weeks ago and thought it was poison ivy), but maybe I am infected. Maybe this hazard stuff is deadly and it has been leaking out over time.
Well according to the news report, people in the neighborhood are safe and it poses no public hazard. Yes, I believe them.
Oh my Linkat. That is not good. Are you going to go get it checked out?
No - actually the rash has gotten better and is almost gone at this point - but this is the first time I have ever caught poison ivy before. More likely a coincedence.
Well I have that to look forward to. I frequently tell my daughter's I don't really work at the office, but I am a super hero. Sadly they don't believe me.
Wonder how these new condos are selling - seeing how they are less than a block away from this hazard site...
Description: A progressive South Boston development, 321 West Second, offers 15 units with wall to wall windows, and high-end finishes - hardwood floors throughout, hardwood veneer cabinets by Italian cabinet maker Aster Cucine, granite and stainless steel countertops, and stainless steel appliances, bathrooms feature Aquatherm air-handling systems, tile floors, vanities by Bayerwald (with "tilt-turn" technology).
The residences at 321 West Second surround a central courtyard, and offer residents easy access to Logan airport, I-93, and the Mass Pike, as well as public transportation. All units will come with at least one deeded parking space in the development's secured garage.
One-bedroom, one-bathroom units start at $429,000 and offer approximately 863 square feet. Two-bedroom, two-bathroom units start at $529,000 and offer approximately 1,200 square feet of living space and a gas fireplace. Units feature generous nine-foot ceilings for an expanded look and feel.
Here is a question for you that I would like to know before my company makes me do this task. I'm in the refrigeration field and we recover R-22 the empty cylenders we will cut in half with a portable plasma cutter. I was walking by as they were being cut open and there was a yellowish smoke coming off this R-22 cylender. The smell was almost choaking and left a sour taste in my mouth. I assume that there is residue still left inside of the container for this strong smell. I'm sure that it's bad for you but I would like to know how bad it is for you and what the chemical is that we are breathing.
Thanks for you time and you may contact me at the following:
Now where the h*ll did that come from???
Well did you swallow any? I did a google check to see if it was hazardous and it wiki says it is harmful if swallowed. Did you check with a doctor?