mac11

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 10:31 am
Wonderful writing, rjb. Thank you.

I've heard a lot about Camille on the Gulf Coast, but nothing about the damage she did inland.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 03:43 pm
Keeping an eye on Hilda in the Pacific, tracking S of HI.
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 04:36 pm
@realjohnboy,
Hasn't been much (if anything) on the local news about Hilda. Unlike Felicia which got more coverage than the violence in Afghan istan or Iraq. But looks like Bill is now heading towards my old hometown of Boston.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 05:08 pm
Hilda has only 40 mph winds and is moving due west at, perhaps, 200 miles S of HI.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 06:54 pm
ACADIA NATIONAL PARK, Maine (AP) " The Coast Guard says a 7-year-old girl has died after a large wave stirred up by Hurricane Bill swept her and two others off a rocky ledge at Acadia National Park in Maine.
Steve McCausland of the Maine Public Safety Department says the girl's name isn't being released but that she was from New York state. The girl was one of three people plucked from the water by rescuers. The other two were a man and a 12-year-old girl who were hospitalized.

The Coast Guard says the girl was unresponsive when she was rescued.

WAVES: Hurricane Bill weakens as it spins past New England
GRAPHIC: Hurricane tracking, science and history

The hurricane was also blamed for the death of a 54-year-old swimmer Saturday in Florida. Volusia County Beach Patrol Capt. Scott Petersohn said Angel Rosa was unconscious when he washed ashore in rough waves fueled by Bill at New Smyrna Beach, along the central Florida coast. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

hamburgboy

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 07:11 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20670001&sid=aqQ7E_9eQAoE

Quote:
Hurricane Bill Passes Nova Scotia, Heads Up Coast (Update1)

By Chris Fournier

Aug. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Hurricane Bill swept past Nova Scotia today, felling trees, swamping roads and leaving about 40,000 people without power, as it made its way up the Atlantic Coast to Newfoundland.

The storm, 75 kilometers (47 miles) east of Halifax, is moving northeast at 56 kilometers an hour, with maximum sustained winds of 120 kilometers an hour, Environment Canada said on its Web site as of 3 p.m. local time. The storm is a Category 1 on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said. It’s expected to be below hurricane strength when it reaches Newfoundland overnight.

“It’s now making its way up the Eastern Shore toward Cape Breton,” said Jodi Sibley, a spokeswoman for the Nova Scotia Emergency Management Office. “We’ve seen some impact along the coast. We haven’t seen any severe damage.”

Wharves and other structures may be damaged in southern Newfoundland as high waves and a meter-high storm surge meet spring tides. “Spectators are strongly advised to keep a safe distance from the shoreline due to the rapid approach of large waves,” Environment Canada said.

Earlier today, at least five people were swept up in the storm’s waves at Arcadia National Park in Bar Harbor, Maine, the Associated Press said. The U.S. Coast Guard rescued two individuals and is searching for the other three, AP said.

(tornadoes touched down on the outskirts of toronto/ontario and caused fairly extensive damage to houses , powerlines and trees .
category still to be assessed by environment canada .
the shore of eastern lake ontario was under tornado warning friday night - we decided to sleep in the basement - heavy rain but no major damage locally - but some flooded basements in lower parts of the city .
ehbeth and thomas were visiting - they slept soundly - particularly thomas - after having had two bottles of guiness stout )
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2009 07:23 pm
Thomas had only 2? is he all right?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2009 03:30 pm
I see that there are 2 new storms, one in the Atlantic and one in the Pacific.
JPB

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 06:34 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

I see that there are 2 new storms, one in the Atlantic and one in the Pacific.

And one that will affect both.

Here's 92L in the Atlantic

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200992_model.gif

And 93L, which has formed in the Atlantic basin but expected to cross over into the Pacific.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200993_model.gif
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:49 pm
92L is now TS Danny. It looks like the eastern seaboard and the Canadian Meritime provinces are in for another wet weekend.

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/at200905.gif
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 05:08 pm
@lmur,
So, Imur, was there much rain from Bill as it came across the UK?
lmur

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 08:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
Can't speak for the UK but Tuesday night was a tad wetter than normal on this island (mudslides leading to road closures in the NW). This type of event was newsworthy once but now is barely noted as it's been raining for nigh on three years.
realjohnboy

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 08:44 pm
@lmur,
Oops. I should have known better than to put Ireland into the UK. Sorry.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:28 pm
There are 2 new storms to watch. The one in the Pacific could be bad. Soon.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:33 pm
@realjohnboy,
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/Jimena_Firecast_track.png

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 12:47 pm
Jimena is going to do some severe damage, I think.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 31 Aug, 2009 04:55 pm
Here's the colorized version of Jimena

http://icons-pe.wunderground.com/data/images/ep200913.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 01:24 pm
Ordinarily, tropical weather rates among my least favorite things. But, there have been just three rain showers on my property since May. By the front porch, a big bald cypress has suddenly begun to brown. I hope I was not too late to save it with my hose yesterday. The huge pines look okay so far. I am now thinking that a tropical storm could be my only hope.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 03:24 pm
I wonder if the rain will get into the LA area. That would sure help with the fire scene there.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 1 Sep, 2009 05:23 pm
Can we see a map for Erika in the Atlantic?