the figure for/of?

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 07:52 am
The figure for spend per visit rose by over $100 from $786 to $890 over the period. Could I use “of” instead of “for” here? If not, why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 831 • Replies: 5
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 11:12 am
@jinmin1988,
Jinmin, what's with all these "can I use abc instead of xyz here?" type posts?

Anyway the answer is "yes, you can use 'of'."

It would be very much better to write "The average sum spent during each visit rose by over $100 from $786 to $890 over the period."

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 02:12 pm
@jinmin1988,
I suspect that Jinmin is trying to gain some insight on how English speakers use prepositions, Contrex.

Quote:
The figure for spend per visit rose by over $100 from $786 to $890 over the period. Could I use “of” instead of “for” here? If not, why?

I'd say that for NaE, using 'of' would not work. But first we have to remove 'spend' which is unnatural to my ear and replace it with 'spending'.

The figure for [visitor] spending per visit rose by over $100 from $786 to $890 over the period.

With the change to 'spending', and the context as I envision it, it's my opinion that 'of' isn't possible.

0 Replies

jinmin1988

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 06:42 pm
Thank you for your replies, guys!

The posts were my questions which happened to me when I learned English. In most cases, I saw them both so I can’t figure out which one is correct. Thus, I wrote "can I use abc instead of xyz here?" type posts because I don’t know what else way I can ask.
roger

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 01:05 am
@jinmin1988,
Seems like a good way to ask. There seems like an infinity of such choices. Some have right and wrong answers, some are better choices, and some are correct but just sound odd to people using the language every day.
jinmin1988

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:40 am
@roger,
You seems like a philosopher, Roger. I just want to know your opinion, when you are sure of the answer.
0 Replies