Draw (a?) definite conclusion

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:43 pm
I saw a sentence” someone draw definite conclusion that…”, but conclusion is countable noun, so is it should be “someone draw a definite conclusion that…”. I searched both of them on Google, and found the former is bit more than the latter. I wonder if there are some differences between them.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,839 • Replies: 2
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:57 pm
@jinmin1988,
jinmin1988 wrote:

I saw a sentence” someone draw definite conclusion that…”, but conclusion is countable noun, so is it should be “someone draw a definite conclusion that…”. I searched both of them on Google, and found the former is bit more than the latter. I wonder if there are some differences between them.

Thanks.

Someone could draw a definite conclusion from the evidence shown by the attorney.
Or -
Someone drew a definite conclusion from the evidence.

Someone is drawing a definite conclusion with too little evidence.
Or -
Someone draws a conclusion, some other people do not.

Of course, I could be drawing rash conclusions.

But not "someone draw". The 'someone' is singular and therefore requires the verb in your example to have an 's' at the end.

Your question seems to be about the use of 'a' - using it is correct with only one conclusion.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 03:00 am
Quote:
Your question seems to be about the use of 'a' - using it is correct with only one conclusion.

Not only "correct", but also required.
0 Replies