Crown molding - prices, is it a good idea?

Linkat

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 03:20 pm
We were looking into getting crown molding. I don't know much about it other than I like the look. Hubby got a quote today - $2k for everything. We were going to do our living/dining/kitchen and a special molding for the top of the cabinets to make it look nicer. Then the stairway and stair ledge.

I don't know our exact measurements, but we have a very large living/dining area/a very large kitchen area and we have a long ledge in the stairway coming in . Our place is 1700 - 1800 sq feet with 2 and half baths and two bedrooms just so you can get an idea of the size we are talking about.

Also, is it valuable to do this in the bedrooms? What about the bathrooms?

We hope to sell and move late spring/summer next year and hope to get enjoyment out of it prior and also hope to add and help us sell next year. We live in a high end condo and as far as we know only a couple of people have installed crown molding so we would hope this would also help us stand out a bit.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 17 • Views: 7,046 • Replies: 46
Topic Closed

engineer

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 04:16 pm
@Linkat,
Be sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. Going around corners requires precise cuts and sloppy work really shows.
ehBeth

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 04:21 pm
@Linkat,
Does the person who gave the quote have a way to show you examples of his/her work? as Engineer has noted, it's very obvious if the job isn't done well, and you don't want that in a high-end condo you're hoping to sell. You don't want to be differentiated from other units on the market because the crown molding doesn't look good.
farmerman

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 05:07 pm
@engineer,
BOY, what he said. Corners in houses are rarely at right angles and if the guys cut moldings without measuring and compensating, the gaps will be filled with spackle and that will look shitty. You must ask the carpenter how he plans to do the corners and how hes gonna make precise fits.

I think that crown molding and wainscotting with chair rail modlings give back more in value than they cost. If we really want to get technical, the homebuilders assn publishes a listing of typical upgrades in a house and what return you may expect from them.

Unlike a swimming pool in a cool climate, decorative moldings will add some value..
realjohnboy

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
I am not challenging your assertion. f'man, but I am surprised that molding enhances the value of a house when it comes to resale.
JTT

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:08 pm
@Linkat,
How many lineal feet do you figure you have? You don't have to get out your tape, just measure your natural stride one time and then step out the number of paces wherever you want to do crown molding.

Does $2k include finishing the moldings? Are they gonna be stained and varnished or painted? What are they made of?
ossobuco

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:08 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'll tend to go along with realjohn. Plus, I'll ask, what does the building look like? Into what construction are you going to be pouring crown molding? I've owned a couple of places with wonderful real crown molding. My bias is that its use as decoration makes me pause, if not snort, and if it doesn't fit, it could be a detriment.

Given it fits the building, then I agree with all the previous advice on getting a contractor who knows what's what re corners.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:15 pm
@realjohnboy,
I think farmerman is correct. As long as the house is not ultra-modern and meant to have stark lines mouldings enhance the value, assuming they are properly done and in the correct proportion to the rooms.
ossobuco

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:34 pm
@Green Witch,
I see your point, with a good building, depending on the building. I think they look silly as tack ons, however well done. Molding, or moulding, changed over time, and I'd be sparer as I got to a more recent time building.
Green Witch

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 06:43 pm
@ossobuco,
I think Linkat is in a condo. My experience has been most condo's benefit from a a little architectural detail. I agree they can look like the Beverly Hillbillies mating with Martha Stewart if done poorly, but when done tastefully, and with skill, I think they are a plus.
panzade

Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:25 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Also, is it valuable to do this in the bedrooms?

No

Quote:
What about the bathrooms?

No

Quote:
special molding for the top of the cabinets

Good

First thing: Make sure they're working under a license.

Second: Measure the total lineal feet proposed

Third: Make sure the 2k is for labor and materials

Fourth: Get back to me and I'll let you know if it's reasonable

and what JTT said
0 Replies

Sglass

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 12:19 am
Have you chosen a pattern?
farmerman

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:26 am
@realjohnboy,
Normally, various upgrades can return anywhere from 3X to )>%X theyre costs on resale. A swimming pool, in th temperate areas of the US, actually reduces the sale value of an otherwise nice place (Upkeep and maintenance is a drag for people in PA Ny, NJ etc). Thing like wood trim (wainscotting, wider floor moldings and ceiling moldings).
Obviously you want good quality work. Thats up to you to invetigate the previous work quality done by the carpenter.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:33 am
@Linkat,
Im assuming that youve done a design evaluation and have decided that moldings would enhance your space. Im not second guessing your decisions (like some others AHEMM). Its true that moldings have affinities with spcific style buildings (colonial , Victorian, Arts and Crafts ).

Its most important tht your styles fit in character with the rooms.Arts n Crafts moldings usually tie in with built in cabinetry and are usually quarter sawn oak thats fumed, while colonial moldings are usually capped with a Roman Ogee and painted often in a bold secondary color.

Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:44 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks - I will check into that - I wasn't there my husband was so I will ask. We do plan on getting another person in and to get a quote from them as well.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:51 am
@JTT,
I got a copy of the specs and stuff (of course I don't know what the heck all this is):

Item - Crown Moulding; Profile 49mdf; description - Entrance Crown: Crown Moulding- Includes: All materials, spray finish with touch-up, and Installation

Item - 22 Specialty; Profile Custom Cap/Rail - Entrance Rail Cap: Bullnosed cap with 53m crown for stairway entrance.

Item - Picture Boxes; Profile 390mdf, astragal panels - Entrance Stairway: Picture Boxes- Includes: All materials, fabrication, finish with touch-up, and
installation

Item - Crown Moulding; Profile 49mdf - Kitchen, Dining Room, Living Room:
Crown Moulding- Includes: All materials, spray finish with touch-up, and Installation
Note: All products quoted above are painted with White semi-gloss

Kitchen Cabinets: Crown Moulding; Profile 49 Oak - clear coat - Crown Moulding- Includes: All materials, stain and clear coat, and installation

This is a quotation for the goods named, subject to the conditions noted below: Installation includes (unless otherwise noted): Caulking of all seams and joints, filling of all nail holes. Caulk and filler subject to shinkage in certain conditions.

Stain and Paint - We take pride in our finish work and will paint or stain any species of wood, any specified color you request. Custom paint or stain match information will be the responsibility of the customer to provide.
Next Day moulding will be happy to provide wood samples and direction as it
pertains to the matching process. The customer will be responsible for any costs associated to color changes after the original color is applied.
Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:57 am
@Green Witch,
Yes I am in a condo. It is modern, but not ultra. I tried to look up the pictures from a year ago when we were trying to sell to see if I could post, but I don't think any real estate agencies keep a history. If I can I will post.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:58 am
@Sglass,
My husband did - he described it to me. He said that the crown moulding place said it would be valuable to do the bedrooms, but I never believe whoever is going to sell me something.
Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:59 am
@farmerman,
When we put it on the market a year or so ago, we had a stager/designer come by - she did say that crown moulding would add value.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:03 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Item - Crown Moulding; Profile 49mdf;
Item - Picture Boxes; Profile 390mdf,
Item - Crown Moulding; Profile 49mdf

I wouldn't use mdf. Personal preference. I want actual wood.