Crown molding - prices, is it a good idea?

Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:29 am
@ehBeth,
I didn't see any of it and didn't even know what any of it stood for. Good thing I posted. I'll have to ask hubby about it. Is wood more likely to crack? Also, is wood much more expensive? How about the look difference? Since we would hopefully be moving within a year, I'd give up wood for a savings if there wasn't much difference in appearance.
DrewDad

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:34 am
@Linkat,
Some MDF products can out gas toxic chemicals such as formaldehyde.
DrewDad

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:35 am
@Linkat,
MDF is more dimensionally stable than wood (natural wood expands and shrinks depending on the humidity), and is easier to work with since you don't have to worry about the grain of the wood.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:39 am
@Linkat,
The window sill above our kitchen sink is some kind of fabricated wood, the Lady Diane has several plants on that sill and she waters them often. The sill turned into mush and I had to have a carpenter replace the mush with real wood.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:44 am
@DrewDad,
OK, a little research indicates that the formaldehyde concern may be outdated. People who have constant exposure are warned to use dust masks (which is a standard precaution for woodworkers anyway).
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 07:55 am
@ossobuco,
Shocked OK that's just freaky!!! This is off-topic but the first time I noticed it -- read that line (osso's new sig) last night in the NY'er and strongly considered making it a sig line. Love it.

edit: now I've read further. I think the main reason people use mdf is just the cost. It's cheap. I do think that real wood would be a lot better (looks like it would be in the kitchen, anyway), but probably more expensive.
Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:11 am
@sozobe,
Thanks - I usually prefer "real" wood to fabricated stuff, however, in this case, where we would not be here for much longer - does anyone know if there is a significant difference in appearance?

In other words, someone viewing the place would say this is fake crap? And how much is the difference in $$$?
sozobe

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:14 am
@Linkat,
I have no idea. Found this though, seems pretty anti-mdf.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f13/mdf-vs-wood-crown-46051/
0 Replies

panzade

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:20 am
I've used MDF(medium density fiberboard) and wood crown molding and prefer the MDF because it doesn't shrink and open the joints like wood does. It looks identical to wood and finishes very well. For the purposes of tricking up the common areas and if the house is to be sold in a year or two it should be fine.

The reason I don't like crown in bathrooms is because it tends to make the room seem out of scale and closed in, unless the ceilings are 10 foot or higher.

I agree with farmer dude that spicing up the trim adds a lot of bang for the buck
panzade

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:29 am
@sozobe,
That whole Siberian journal was awesome soz
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:34 am
@panzade,
Thanks - I didn't think it would be great for the bathrooms, but hubby seems to want to put it evey where (except the laundry room - thank goodness).

Yes - if it significantly less and not materially different in looks might as well save some money - and it looked like there was mixed reaction to mdf and wood on that website.

We will make sure though that the work quality is there first - that seems to be what everyone is in agreement including that website link.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 08:46 am
@panzade,
Seconding this. Since it will be painted, I don't think you'll be able to tell the difference. There would be a visual difference if the grain of the wood could be seen, but that's not the case here.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 09:27 am
I'll just add that we installed MDF crown moulding about seven years ago and it looks as terrific now as it did then. No gaps, etc. Painted up great. I doubt anyone could tell the difference - but it's not elaborate as these things go.

In addition to dining/living room, we added it to the main entrance and hallway. I was opposed to the hallway initially --thought it was too small a space, but liked it very much in the end.

boomerang

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 09:32 am
I'd go with MDF to if you're going to paint it. You won't be able to tell the difference.

We had to replace some of our arched moulding with flex trim - a resin based flexible trim. It looks amazing. People are always stopping by asking where we had them made, believing that they are wood.
0 Replies

Linkat

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 11:21 am
@Joeblow,
thanks - we plan to do the entry way/stairway - it is very high ceilings.

We do have a very long hallway - maybe it would look good there.
0 Replies

Sglass

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 04:29 pm
@Linkat,
When I think of crown moulding I think of the plaster mouldings used in the Victorian houses in the South End of Boston.
JTT

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:17 pm
@Sglass,
That can still be done, Sglass, but I'm not sure of the cost. It's not that difficult to shape a scraper for oozy material. It doesn't even have to be sharp. But, I must allow that the process would be a bit troublesome.

Ever done it, Panzade or see it done?
ossobuco

Fri 14 Aug, 2009 06:49 pm
@JTT,
And I remember my last california bungalow. The crown moldings in the living room and dining room were complex, that is, a few levels, adding up to something like fifteen inches of old redwood, with special light, um, blocks, every x number of feet on some walls. I have photos, but not on my computer.
Sigh.
panzade

Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:54 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Ever done it, Panzade or see it done?

No, I haven't, JTT
0 Replies

panzade

Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Funny you should mention that osso. I designed and built some crown in a dining room that I kept (the crown)one inch from the ceiling. Inside it I strung a rope light attached to a dimmer. The effect was like that in a movie theater...when the lights dimmed and candles were lit.