England and Britain

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:30 am
I wonder if there is any difference between England and Britain?I mean the word.

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 777 • Replies: 3
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 03:08 am
@jinmin1988,
This has been covered about a thousand squillion times, all over the web, for a start you can try typing "England Britain difference" into Google -- wait I'll do it for you --

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=england+britain+difference&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3D&aq=f&oq=

but I'm at a loose end so I'll tell you myself.

(1) Political.

There is a nation called "The United Kingdom Of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". This is a political entity, just as the United States Of America, Malaysia, Indonesia, Canada, etc, are. That long name is often shortened to "The United Kingdom" or "The UK". It is made up of three "countries" called England, Wales and Scotland, and a "province" called Northern Ireland.

England, Wales and Scotland are all located on an island near the European mainland called "Great Britain". Northern Ireland is an area of another island nearby called "Ireland".

(2) Geographical.

England is one of the three countries which are located on the island of Great Britain.

So put simply, England is part of Britain. Not the whole, as many people, particularly Americans, seem to think.

lmur

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 03:15 am
@contrex,
I'm not at all sure that Paisley et al would be delighted to realise that Norn Iron is merely a "province". Gerry Adams might agree though.
contrex

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 05:24 am
@lmur,
You used the word "merely", not I, which surely implies a level of value-judgement?

Anyhow, there is evidence that Dr Paisley is OK with the word, at least he was on 8 May 2007 when he made a speech upon taking his pledge of office as first minister of the new power-sharing government.

"How true are the words of Holy Scripture, 'We know not what a day may bring forth'. If anyone had told me that I would be standing here today to take this office, I would have been totally unbelieving. I am here by the vote of the majority of the electorate of our beloved province."

Curiously, it is quite hard to find the word "province" in any of Gerry Adams' speeches quoted online.

0 Replies