List of smoking triggers

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:33 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Dude yeah, that's a lot! And the worst part is that it's all about the tolerance buildup; you probably don't get any more stoned than I, and I smoke maybe a quarter ounce per month, tops.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I got a lot less stoned than just about anyone. I felt "stoned" about once or twice a year and usually only when traveling some place with very different weed.

Four ounces a month is pretty much smoking all day every day. At that point it's not stoned anymore, it's just "normal".
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:35 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Dude yeah, that's a lot! And the worst part is that it's all about the tolerance buildup; you probably don't get any more stoned than I, and I smoke maybe a quarter ounce per month, tops.

Oh, I'm pretty sure I got a lot less stoned than just about anyone. I felt "stoned" about once or twice a year and usually only when traveling some place with very different weed.

Four ounces a month is pretty much smoking all day every day. At that point it's not stoned anymore, it's just "normal".

Yeah, you're totally making the right call. Go three weeks off and then take a rip and you'll be amazed.

Good luck! As for the cigs, what made me quit was, like you, the cravings. I didn't feel in control of my life, as when I didn't have a cig I'd start doing and thinking irrational things in order to get one, which isn't cool.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:36 pm
When I consciously tried to quit the habit, all it took would be for me to get a whiff of the tobacco smoke from a passer-by and my will power would crumble. What finally did it for me, the people around me did not like my smoke. I smoked away from them as much as I could, but eventually forgot to buy any smokes, and I was fine with it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yes....I only started smoking tobacco because people would mix it with marijuana or hash, and I must have had enough nicotine to get the taste for it.

When I stopped, the big trigger for me was parties, or any large group socialization. For a few years after I stopped smoking, I would have a couple at parties.

Sex was a big one (I still vaguely miss the post-coital ciggy....but the funny thing was the opposite pairing....a cigarette would make me feel horny!)

Stress was the other big one for me.

For one of my friends, who has made various attempts to give up since I first met her in the 80's, drinking is the killer.....coffee and alcohol.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:37 pm
@ossobuco,
On marijuana, I don't smoke just because I don't want to get into cigs again. Like eoe, I was some days and nights up to three packs in stress times. I think I'm invulnerable by this time, having quit in '82, but I don't want to test it.

The good part, I like clarity of breathing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:40 pm
In some cases, as with me, you can develope a hate for the taste and smell of tobacco, even though you might have loved your smokes from childhood to the day you quit.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
But did you dislike smoke before you started smoking?

As a kid, even before I ever thought of smoking I'd always liked the smell.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:44 pm
One of the things that played a huge part in me being able to quit cold turkey was switching to a brand and flavor of cigarettes I absolutely could not stand the taste of. I did that for a couple months, which lessened the quantity and frequency of my smoking. It finally got to the point that I just couldn't stand it anymore and quit.

Another very good deterrent for me as a new non-smoker was visiting relatives and going to their bingo games with them. Sitting in a smoke-filled bingo parlor for several hours while not smoking is enough to make you quit smoking for life.
dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

In some cases, as with me, you can develope a hate for the taste and smell of tobacco, even though you might have loved your smokes from childhood to the day you quit.

It utterly sickens me now. It's odd, because it didn't BEFORE I started smoking....and I was in my twenties before I started smoking tobacco....though I guess I had spent a lifetime inhaling others' smoke.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:48 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yeh. The time quitting worked for me, when I'd quit cold five years before and started up again about a year later, was when I got into thinking that "other people smoke", thus I had no involvement with all those cigarette packages behind checkout counters. I just stopped with conscious association. So, maybe we shouldn't be feeding the talk trigger.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 04:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
One of the things that played a huge part in me being able to quit cold turkey was switching to a brand and flavor of cigarettes I absolutely could not stand the taste of. I did that for a couple months, which lessened the quantity and frequency of my smoking. It finally got to the point that I just couldn't stand it anymore and quit.

I switched to lights for a couple weeks before quitting, I really do think it's a good trick. They were much less enjoyable but not enough to not smoke them, so it was a nice enjoyment reduction before quitting cold turkey.

Quote:
Another very good deterrent for me as a new non-smoker was visiting relatives and going to their bingo games with them. Sitting in a smoke-filled bingo parlor for several hours while not smoking is enough to make you quit smoking for life.

I think I'd be the opposite. I've been avoiding poker and bars because while I don't want to become a smoker again I'm undecided about whether I'll have an occasional cigarette and that kind of thing would likely make the decision for me.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:00 pm
Even when I was at my peak (3 packs of 25 a day) I didn't smoke inside my home. But I could, and did, smoke at work. Used to pride myself on being able to smoke those three packs on no more than four lights a day.

Particular types of jazz, when I'm listening outdoors, still make me want to light up. I gave up the big smoking close to two decades ago, but I did have a brief (one-month) fit of chain-smoking about 8 years ago. I still can't smoke 1 cigarette, it's always a pack at a time.

I'm very nervous about it - freak if I find any evidence of tobacco in my house. I know it's dangerous for me.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Last time I was in a bar type bar was five years ago to see a horse race in the afternoon. Gorgeous bar from the early nineteen hundreds, big tv, but there weren't many people in it, none of them smoking. I can't even remember if smoking in bars in CA was outlawed then. Point though is that I was free of that "I'm in a smokey bar with friends" trigger. The more rambunctious bars or jazz clubs I used to go to, on the other hand, might still temp me to the evil cig, but they too don't have smoking permitted anymore.

How to describe jazz clubs? rambunctious wouldn't be the word I quite want. I probably haven't been to one since I quit smoking, but to have them smokeless would seem weird.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The first time I quit, I started again after one cig, that aforementioned year later. The second and final time, again maybe after another year, I did smoke at an old professor's smoked filled apartment each time we visited her, in an odd way to keep her company. Never bought another pack, only did that twice, I think. Given my own cigarette history, it was dumb on my part. For you, I don't know.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:18 pm
@ehBeth,
It's interesting how different people are!

I NEVER smoked at work, and mostly people who were not house-mates or close friends could not believe I smoked.

I agree re the jazz......I used to see music as streamers of different coloured light blending and twining together...in the way a smoke stream from a single cigarette smoked by a restrained smoker does.

It's also funny how differently people smoke.....there are supremely elegant smokers.....who sort of sip at their cigarettes, and make beautiful smoke streams, and hold their cigarettes with grace and style.....then there are the manic puffers who look like greedy children stuffing lollies in their mouths until their cheeks bulge, and their eyes pop.

My first year uni English tutor was my favourite smoker.

He would have, perhaps, two cigarettes per tutorial...and he was a delightful looking man, very elegant.....and kind....he would sit back thoughtfully and listen to us....leaning back elegantly in his chair....with his slow smoke stream making lovely patterns against the windows.

My boss at my first professional job was one of the desperatel greedy ones..... (before smoking at work was blessedly banned......she made the whole office so smoky it was hard to see if you were of the height where the smoke settled (I was fortunately above this stratum).....it was common to see her with a lit cigarette in her mouth, another in her hand, another still going in her ashtray.....and she puffed so constantly and frenetically that she looked like a hypermanic steam train in a vastly speeded up film.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:27 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

But did you dislike smoke before you started smoking?

As a kid, even before I ever thought of smoking I'd always liked the smell.

The adults around me kept the air so full of smoke (you couldn't see through the blue smoke lots of times) that the smoke was part of me. It never crossed my mind to not like it. They thought it was cute when we smoked the butts as little kids.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
[...] it affects short-term memory being high all the time has a big impact on long-term memory. I was a hell of a lot sharper 15 years ago, and I'd like to figure out what is aging and what is marijuana. [...]

Thank you for your honesty. One rarely hears from users that the substance is not as benign as it is usually and openly touted.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:46 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:
It's also funny how differently people smoke.....there are supremely elegant smokers.....who sort of sip at their cigarettes, and make beautiful smoke streams, and hold their cigarettes with grace and style.....then there are the manic puffers who look like greedy children stuffing lollies in their mouths until their cheeks bulge, and their eyes pop.

People always told me that I smoked with a relish. I'd get comments to the effect that I seemed to really savor the smoke and I'd often really pause to enjoy the hell out of it so I think they had a point.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:54 pm
@Reyn,
Well don't get me wrong, I think marijuana is great. Much better than alcohol . I don't see anything wrong with the substance itself when used in moderation, just with abuse of it. If I'd spent my whole adult life drunk it would have been a lot worse than stoned.

The problem is a moderation problem to me. Almost anything is pretty bad for you if you do it every waking minute, including eating, sleeping etc.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Wed 5 Aug, 2009 05:57 pm
@Butrflynet,
Congrats Robert. I quit about 15 years ago and don't regret it. Now I can't stand the smell of cigarrette smoke. When I am stressed and the thought of a ciggy enters my head, I stop and take some deep breathes.

Merry Andrew has also stopped smoking. It's been almost five months for him.
He used the patch. He takes long walks.

Keep up thre good work.
0 Replies