Unemployed Graduate Sues college for tuition

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 02:20 pm
27-year-old Trina Thompson went to the Bronx Supreme Court in the past week to file the claim against the college where she previously studied.
The graduate hopes to get back the $70,000 that was spent on tuition fees whilst she worked towards her degree in information technology.
According to Thompson she did not get the help she had been promised by the Office of Career Advancement Department.

The college has described the case has not having any merit.
In the lawsuit the former student said: "They have not tried hard enough to help me." But the college states that it does assist its students in finding work. A spokesman for the Monroe College said: "The college prides itself on the excellent career-development support that we provide to each of our students, and this case does not deserve further consideration."

Is this another case of blaming some one else? Could it be a down economy? Considering people with experience are having difficulty getting jobs, how can you blame the college? So now can all newly graduated students get their tuition money back?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,262 • Replies: 8
No top replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 02:33 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

27-year-old Trina Thompson went to the Bronx Supreme Court in the past week to file the claim against the college where she previously studied.
The graduate hopes to get back the $70,000 that was spent on tuition fees whilst she worked towards her degree in information technology.
According to Thompson she did not get the help she had been promised by the Office of Career Advancement Department.

The college has described the case has not having any merit.
In the lawsuit the former student said: "They have not tried hard enough to help me." But the college states that it does assist its students in finding work. A spokesman for the Monroe College said: "The college prides itself on the excellent career-development support that we provide to each of our students, and this case does not deserve further consideration."

Is this another case of blaming some one else? Could it be a down economy? Considering people with experience are having difficulty getting jobs, how can you blame the college? So now can all newly graduated students get their tuition money back?

We lack sufficient facts to judge the case.
We 've not been told who promised what in the applicable contract.

On its face, the case appears to have very little prospect of success.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 02:34 pm
@Linkat,
Yeah, I saw that in the papers yesterday. I think it's hilarious. I think I might file a suit against the high school I attended; because of their lax teaching standards I was not admitted to Harvard, nor did I receive a Rhodes scholarship or McArthur genius grant. It's all the fault of Boston English High, damnit!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 02:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
In theory I agree - but only if the placement office refused to assist this student (which I find highly unlikely).

Some of the facts that I did find was that her GPA is 2.7. Depends on the articles you read how much info is provided.

Not stellar and not from a stellar college. What reasonable person could expect to find a job in a few months in this economy unless you were extremely lucky and/or have excellent grades/college, etc. There are people that cannot find jobs for a longer period of time with pertainent experience. Should they be able to go back to their college and request their tuition back?

One item I read in the an article "This story illuminates a larger problem in the generation of instant gratification.
Many young people in their 20s today are having trouble in employment due to short attention spans and the need for immediate recognition and advancement. "

Could this be what we seem to be seeing instant gratification?

I tend to think this women is reaching for whatever she can get out of desperation...I know lots of people of feeling that way in this economy.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:04 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

In theory I agree - but only if the placement office refused to assist this student (which I find highly unlikely).

Some of the facts that I did find was that her GPA is 2.7. Depends on the articles you read how much info is provided.

Not stellar and not from a stellar college. What reasonable person could expect to find a job in a few months in this economy unless you were extremely lucky and/or have excellent grades/college, etc. There are people that cannot find jobs for a longer period of time with pertainent experience. Should they be able to go back to their college and request their tuition back?

One item I read in the an article "This story illuminates a larger problem in the generation of instant gratification.
Many young people in their 20s today are having trouble in employment due to short attention spans and the need for immediate recognition and advancement. "

Could this be what we seem to be seeing instant gratification?

I tend to think this women is reaching for whatever she can get out of desperation...I know lots of people of feeling that way in this economy.

I surmise that this case sounds in breach of contract;
maybe also in negligence. Either way, plaintiff has the burden of proof
of her allegations in the pleadings.

She has to prove that defendant made and defaulted upon promises.
It remains to be seen what those promises are alleged to be
(in her testimony) and what defendant did or failed to do.

Chances are that the case will settle out; that 's what usually happens.

David

Linkat

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:08 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'm not so concerned about the actual legality - more I am interested in what prompts some one to do this... is it the entitlement? Is it the frustration of not being able to find a job? And what could be the potential impacts of settling? More students suing for this? Not sure if the college would really want to open themselves up for the potential impact.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 03:30 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I'm not so concerned about the actual legality - more I am interested in what prompts some one to do this... is it the entitlement? Is it the frustration of not being able to find a job? And what could be the potential impacts of settling? More students suing for this? Not sure if the college would really want to open themselves up for the potential impact.

Most of the time, settlements include confidentiality agreements,
by whose terms, the paid settlements are refundable,
if plaintiffs reveal their terms.

As to what causes them:
that is a question in psychology.

Sometimes its a matter of mood.

There was one case wherein a law student was out shopping,
when she saw that she was passing by the office of defendant 's insurance carrier.
She sought to settle her case.
She ascended to its offices, and was rebuffed by claims staffers
who were more interested in going home at the end of the day.
She took offense, and strode to her law library,
where she began her research with impassioned determination
to get them. She cobbled together a novel theory of liability
that the defense counsel laffed off, but she sold the NY Court of Appeals on it
and it became the law of the land, terrorizing insurance carriers
for several years until eventually it was ruled unconstitutional.

It has been the case for many years that mentally unbalance people
are very litigious, and are known for throwing wide nets on rich corporations
for paranoid and psychotic reasons.

U never know.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 04:08 pm
@Linkat,
I also recently read that disability claims are on the increase among the unemployed. Maybe someone works in spite of a disability in hopes of keeping the job; maybe it's just desparation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 06:07 pm
@Linkat,
Before I read any replies, let me just say "good grief".
0 Replies