Is my goldfish pregnant? Somebody help me please :S

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 01:07 pm
Hey.

Around 2 weeks ago, i got two gold fish from a pet shop and put them in a small tank.
I got these particular fish because they were the smallest, but since then, the one that i thought was female has been growing wider.
Is she pregnant?

The other fish has no white spots anywhere, however it does chase the fat one around often.
Also, the fat one lies at the bottom of the tank a lot, and becomes nervous when i go near the tank.
I have read some other questions and have found that if goldfish are pregnant, each side becomes uneven, but it's not uneven.

How do i sex a fish?
How do i know if it's pregnant?
How long should i wait to see if it lays eggs?
What should i do if my fish grows wider, but doesn't lay any eggs?
Please can i have some advise on what to do with the new eggs (if/when i get them).

I know i have lots of questions, but theyre my first pair of fish and its definatly my first experience of fish eggs!
Thanks a lot XD

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:52 pm
@aleksmanle96,
Welcome to a2k aleksmanle96.

aleksmanle96 wrote:
I got these particular fish because they were the smallest, but since then, the one that i thought was female has been growing wider.
Is she pregnant?

It depends, it could just be natural growth of the fish.

Quote:
How do i sex a fish?

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4468/fishsex.html

Quote:
How do i know if it's pregnant?

Goldfish aren't live bearers, so you'll mainly be checking to see if the fish will lay eggs. The basics are if the fish is plump enough (hard to describe, you really just got to get a feel for it) then it's going to lay eggs.

Quote:
How long should i wait to see if it lays eggs?

2-4 weeks.

Quote:
What should i do if my fish grows wider, but doesn't lay any eggs?

Nothing, or if you are concerned about the fish's health you can always take the fish to a reputable pet store for advice.

Quote:
Please can i have some advise on what to do with the new eggs (if/when i get them).

Depends, if you want to spawn them you'll need a male in the tank, and you may want to remove the adults shortly to prevent them from eating the eggs or the fry.

Alternately you can make a "spawning mop" and then move the eggs, but this can be more tricky.
0 Replies

aleksmanle96

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2009 06:23 am
Thankyou for the reply!
These Youtube clips will help me a lot.
But my fish isn't a fan tail - it's just an average goldfish.
Can i still tell their sex the same way?
0 Replies