My maine coon has hair balls alot and uses the washroom alot too.

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 11:08 am
My black and white maine coon cat has been barfing alot lately and also he has been in his litter box 24/7.I have searched the whole web and I have been trying to find the cure,but unfortunatly I cannot find the cure.When I am almost at the end of the string something cuts it. ~Tatiana

Ragman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:26 pm
This situation is prime case for a good veterenarian to solve. It's important for reg visits.

I used to use Laxatone or Petromalt on my cat. Go to pet store and ask for one of these hairball remedies. These have a petroleum jelly base with a flavoring that cats like. You need to get REAL help while your cat is in this distress.

Also with Maine Coons you need to groom them. Buy a cat comb and brush and do it daily. If you haven't been doing it, they'll barf daily or worse.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 04:49 pm
@tatianam,
Not wanting to alarm you but, if the cat is also having the runs, then you definitely need to bring the cat to the vet. You might have something a bit more involved going on.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:33 pm
Maine Coons like to groom themselves. Its just their nature. The laxatone cure is essential. Our little coon ca loves laxatone and eats it off a finger like it was mapl syrup. If its real bad and you cant get ahead, try having your cat shaved for the summer. Thatll get the fur free from tangles (which isanother problem on coon cats). When you hve the cat shorn, it wont get big clots of hair in its system.
Another trick is to serve up papayan tablets. We used to use papayan enzyme tablets to help stop hairball problems in our Angora Rabbits.

Grooming is essential if you dont have your cat shorn. Use a very fine brush/comb. Most coon cats love to be brushed but a small prcentage of them hate getting brushed. Those will need to be shorn every summer.
Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:57 am
@farmerman,
I support everything you wrote 100%. Bonkers my dear (but deceased) 18 lb Maine Coon cat, had a 'lion cut' every summer. He hated being groomed, though I could brush him alot at top of his head, back and shoulders. His chest, underarms and belly were where all the trouble was. When it matted up, sometimes it was impossible.

Laxatone worked if iused regularly (1x to 2x wk as preventative and 3-4x when it was really bad.

After the first year I first got him (2yrs old), he got so clogged up that the vet had to do an endoscopic ($$$) exam to get 2 massive fur balls out that wouldn't pass. He was uptight 'cause I had jsut gotten him a playmate - a new 7 wk old kitten. He was not happy. However I learned to groom him regularly after that episode.

Hope this helps somone save a kitty from getting matts and some grief.
JPB

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 05:33 am
@tatianam,
We give petromalt to our Maine Coons. One of ours is an excessive groomer and has ongoing hairball problems.

I'm concerned about the cat box use. If he's just trying to pass something that's stuck that may explain why he's in the box so much. Otherwise, you've got a different problem which should be look at by a vet.

Also, unless he's able to keep some food down, don't wait too long before you make that appointment. If he's a large MC and he goes without eating for more than a day or two then he could wind up with fatty liver disease, an almost always fatal condition when not caught early.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 04:00 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
'lion cut'
precisely. When done correctly, its not a bad look, although Coon cats are very proud of their fur, your cat may be pissed at you for a few days. They get over it.
Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 05:07 pm
@farmerman,
The oddest thing was when 18 lb feisty Bonkers came home from the vet with his lion cut, little 9.5 lb Sugar saw him, sniffed him and then hissed and swatted at him. Bonkers then skulked off as though he was a shorn feline version of Sampson. He HID, as a matter of fact. Oh, the indignity of it all.
0 Replies