The Baseball Thread

Gargamel

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 12:25 pm
@Region Philbis,
Who on the Giants staff is going to throw at Fielder? Especially since he went after Mota?

Tim Lincecum? That'd be a fair fight.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 12:27 pm
@Gargamel,
i heard he knows judo.

let's say interesting fight...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 12:29 pm
@Gargamel,

it was excessive, y'ask me...

R(i blame Cecil)P
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:41 am
here come the twinkies again...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap;_ylt=Aq16huiNnKJzQIGH8w2lfeQRvLYF?gid=290919109&prov=ap

seems like every year they run under the radar and get no press, and then at crunch time, they are peaking...
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:17 pm
@Rockhead,

how're they doing it w/o mourneau?
or are the tigers tanking...
Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 09:18 pm
@Region Philbis,
twinkies rock, win it or not.

Cleveland just fired one of my favorite baseball guys. I think it says a lot about him that he wanted to finish out the season and then walk away...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-indians-wedgefired&prov=ap&type=lgns

Eric Wedge

Eric Michael Wedge (born January 27, 1968 in Fort Wayne, Indiana) is the former manager of the Cleveland Indians of Major League Baseball's American League Central Division. Wedge and his staff will be fired at the end of the season. He attended Northrop High School in Fort Wayne and played on the school's state champion baseball team in 1983. He won the AL Manager of the year award in 2007. As a player, he led the Wichita State University Shockers to the 1989 College World Series championship. He was drafted by the Boston Red Sox that same year, played nine minor league seasons in the Red Sox, Colorado Rockies, Detroit Tigers and Philadelphia Phillies organizations and played briefly for the Red Sox (1991, 1992, 1994) and the Rockies (1993). After managing in the Indians' minor league system from 1998 through 2002, he was named manager of the Indians in October 2002 and became the youngest manager since 1985 in the Major Leagues at 35 years, 64 days young on opening day 2003. On September 30, 2009, the Cleveland Indians announced that Eric Wedge would not be retained as manager after the end of the season.

Wedge played catcher for Wichita State University from 1987"1989, leading the school to a 68-16 record and the College World Series championship in 1989. He hit .380 for the Shockers that year, led the NCAA in walks and total bases and finished second in runs, RBI, and home runs. Wedge's performance earned him first-team All-America honors, the Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year award and he was runner-up to Ben McDonald for the Rotary Smith Award for College Baseball Player of the Year. (wiki)

I think he goes to Boston when the dust settles.

Or replaces Gene...
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:52 am
@Rockhead,

will be interesting to see what affect the new outdoor stadium has on the twinx next season.
expect a lot of snow-outs early...

wedge will land on his feet somewhere.
hoping the tribe doesn't rassle farrell away from Bahstin yet...
Rockhead

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2009 01:56 pm
@Region Philbis,
looks like the twinkies gotta go through Grienke to get there, unless Detroit just falls down. it will be an interesting finish. i might hafta take over a screen at the bar for it. 1 game down with two to play...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=291002109&prov=ap
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 12:51 am
it ain't right to be admiring players on other teams within my own division, even if we ain't ever gonna win it again.

but...

Joe Mauer is a flippin' stud. Johnny Bench has nothin' on the guy.

broke open a scoreless duel and sent Zak to the showers. had hisself down 0-2 to start. watching 95 mph heat go by. then drills the next one to right. end of game.

twinkies and tigers all tied up heading into the season's last day. Mebbe*.

*if they are still tied after tomorrow they meet Monday up in that horrible Metrodome one last time, for winner takes all.

go twinx...
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 03:47 pm
@Rockhead,

make that tuesday -- packers + vikings already had the Dome reserved mundee night...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:02 pm
so, are the playoffs all set yet, or are there still some wild cards to go

don't really pay attention anymore until playoffs roll around
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2009 04:07 pm
@djjd62,

tigers-twins play a tie-breaker to decide who finishes in 1st place, thus advancing to the playoffs.
the loser goes home because the red sawx have already clinched the wildcard.
the yankees and angels are also in for the AL.

the NL playoffs will feature the phillies, cardinals, dodgers and rockies...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 6 Oct, 2009 08:10 pm
#163 was a doozy.

6-5 twinkies in the bottom of the 12th.

wow...
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:39 am
@Rockhead,

both teams had chances to win, both teams made costly mistakes.
in the end, twinx were the better team.

their reward?
go face CC + co in da bronx tonight...
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:45 am
Any gas left in the Twins' tank?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 07:51 am
@Rockhead,
I love the Tigers....I was pulling for them. What a heartbreaker. It is sad to see those disappointed faces when the other team is running around the field so happy. But the Twins managed to pull it off ...I wouldn't say they were the better team though.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:42 am
@mismi,
Quote:
I wouldn't say they were the better team though.
losing 12 out of 18 to the twinx didn't help their cause, and cabrera's drunken rampage over the weekend was a distraction the tigers soooooo didn't need...
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:54 am
I'm saying Sox in 5.
Any other fearless prognostications?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:57 am
@George,

halos get to beckett in game 2... sawx in 4...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 11:14 pm
poor twinkies...

they looked tired.

and mr Sabathia ain't missin' any meals of late. (i'm just sayin'...)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=291007110&prov=ap

halos in 5, Yanks sweep.