The Baseball Thread

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 12:27 pm

go Rally Squirrel, goooooooooooooo!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:08 pm
I blame myself for the Yankees' demise. I didn't watch the playoffs. I was too busy trying to breathe. I gotta get my priorities straight.

Phooey.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:09 pm
@Roberta,
the heck with that...

I blame Alex.

he couldn't get on base if he had to stand in line for a free one.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 10:49 pm
the Cardinals send the Phillies home early.

it's eerily quiet in Philly tonight...

one world series rep is gonna be from the NL Central.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:23 pm
The Brewers must beat the Cardinals!

Death to the rally squirrel!
Rockhead

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2011 11:26 pm
@joefromchicago,
that's kinda harsh joe...

could we maybe just relocate him. say to Washington DC. they could use a rally squirrel...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 06:42 am
@Rockhead,

http://nbchardballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/ryan-howard-ap1.jpeg

the agony of da foot

easily the strangest ending to a series i ever saw.
A+ for carpenter...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 12:19 pm
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

http://i610.photobucket.com/albums/tt183/Gargamel_999/318667_2288618009705_1076591209_32588984_903628210_n.jpg?t=

No complaints about the ride so far. A few things stand out as a fan of Milwaukee's only recently-successful sports team:

1. The amount of Brewers gear and fan accessories visible in Milwaukee suddenly matches that for the Packers, who truly belong to Green Bay.
2. Very strange to see arial shots of the city on television.
3. No resistance whatsoever to the narrative, the feeling that the team is "making history" or trying to separate itself from the 1982 squad, though this is baseball and you can be forgotten in a week, as a matter of luck or your own shortcomings. I guess that's what happens when you've had as little success in your history as the Brew Crew--you think you have a team of "destiny" simply because you never go to the playoffs. But hell, it's fun.

Now, at the risk of sounding "classy," or a good sport, which I am not at all, I must say the Diamondbacks look to run the NL West for the foreseeable future. Kennedy, Hudson, and Parker are among the best 1-3 starters in the NL. With Stephen Drew back next year, that offense is scary.

Again, I should be clear that had the Brewers lost I would be talking some serious **** about the D-Backs and that they were lucky. But that would just be my typical way of complimenting opponents.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 12:23 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:

The Brewers must beat the Cardinals!

Death to the rally squirrel!

But Joe, how could you root against such a fun-loving bunch (of drunk drivers)? Not to mention their brilliant manager (where brilliance is measured by the number of pitchers you use per game) and even smarter (because they say they are) fans?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 12:35 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm shocked the Phillys aren't in it. I'm so glad I don't bet as I would have bet on them to be in WS and win it. Of course prior to spt2nd thereabouts I'd have bet my Red Sawx would have been there with them; however, we all know how that turned out.

It's refreshing to see sonme new faces in the mix. The Brewers and Tigers are my favorites currently.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 02:07 pm
The Fans will love Epstein in Chicago.
Ragman

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 04:21 pm
@Miller,
There ya go. Perhaps he could turn those perpetual losers around.
odds are good that Theo won't leave the Sox while things are in such turmoil. It hasn't been his management style so far.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 08:30 pm
they're back underway in Tejas...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 8 Oct, 2011 09:44 pm
their going to try and play one more time...
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 09:00 am
@Rockhead,

that ump had it in for verlander -- many obvious strike calls were missed...
Rockhead

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 03:19 pm
@Region Philbis,
the strike zone was weird all around last night.

no low pitches for strikes at all...

Grienke just served up a gopher curve ball.

plunk.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 07:10 pm
Carpenter vs Halliday was one of the best baseball games I ever witnessed.
Kudos to LaRussa for leaving Carpenter in to finish the game.

I've never heard of a baseball player tearing his achilles tendon. Howard's comeback will be long and arduous.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 02:33 pm
speaking of arduous...

Delmon Young is back in the three hole today. strained oblique and all.

he popped out in the infield during the first, not sure if he can really help them or not...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 04:48 pm
Ryan Raburn, (whom I would have put in the three hole, btw) hit a 3 run homer from the 6 hole for a 3 -2 lead heading into the seventh...

I don't wanna jinx them.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2011 05:33 pm
@panzade,
I tore mine (achilles tendon) when I was about 40. It's not that uncommon - especially for real athletes. Of course my hitting was far worse.

It takes about 4-6 weeks to heal and about 3 months to strengthen the leg and calf again. I was on crutches for 3-4 weeks....back doing my reg biking and jogging in almost 3 months.
0 Replies