The Baseball Thread

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 02:44 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
In deed, Babe R did not strikeout a lot per season for free-swinging HR hitter. His SO rate of 15.8% of the time (equiv 83 SO/ out of typical 550 AB season). FWIW, in comparison Ty Cobb was a career 3.1% SO rate. However, their hitting styles were vastly different.

If you want a hall of famer who didn't strike out much, check out this guy.

Ragman wrote:
Exposed myself there. In my feverish mind I had him linked/equated with McGwire who has been tainted from the same era.

Not hard to do, given how many power hitters from that era turned out to be dirty.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 04:42 pm
@Gargamel,
I've watched the Crew play a couple of games lately and listen Garg! They ain't gonna blow this lead. This is one committed group of players.

Case in point. Saturday they lost a 7-1 lead and were losing by 2 when Pagan homered for NY in the 9th. It was painful to watch the Mets' Isringausen give up 4 earned runs including a beautiful out of the strike zone blooper to right by Fielder

Nope. No worries here Mac!
0 Replies

Bambino

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 08:52 pm
How bout them Brewers? Why not ESPN? Don't get it. One of the best teams in baseball and no ESPN?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:39 am

so... you wanna be a major leaguer?

Quote:
Matt Holliday gets moth stuck in ear

ST. LOUIS -- This was a different sort of injury bug for Matt Holliday.

In a bizarre episode, a moth got stuck deep in Holliday's right ear, forcing the St. Louis Cardinals star to walk off
the field while the Los Angeles Dodgers batted in the eighth inning Monday night.

With two outs, Holliday called time in left field and started toward the dugout holding his ear. Cardinals trainer
Barry Weinberg met Holliday and tried to help.

"He had a moth fly into his ear, deep into his ear. I don't even know what happened to it," St. Louis manager
Tony La Russa said moments after his team's 2-1 loss.

Team spokesman Brian Bartow said Holliday was taken into a dark room and trainers put a light by his ear, trying to lure
the insect out. That didn't work, so they used a utensil to get the moth, which was still alive, out of Holliday's ear.
(espn)

utensil...

< shudder >
jespah

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 05:52 am
@Region Philbis,
Pay.Him.Extra.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 09:06 am
@Region Philbis,
That was a Killer moth (killer bunny from Monty Python)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 10:52 am

thome was placed on waivers yesterday by the twins.
someone (cleveland? phillie?) will pick him up for the stretch run...
panzade

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 12:10 pm
@Region Philbis,
He'll go to a DH team I reckon
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
@panzade,

yup.
doesn't make sense to have him pinch-hit once a game...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:23 am
So I'm sure I have professed my admiration for Bob Uecker here before. Radio is my preferred medium for keeping up with the Brew Crew. I just aim my speakers at the kitchen window and kick it on the back porch for a few hours, listening to Ueck.

Now get this ****. I caught my first foul ball a week ago, at Miller Park. Andre Either hit a pop up that at its zenith appeared as if it would land in play but approached my section behind the visitor dugout as it descended. I fought off the sun with my right arm, glove extended (I hadn't brought a glove to a game in years). And suddenly there was this moment of clarity in which the ball hung above my head and I thought, "This is my chance." I made the squeeze, there was cheering and ****, I looked around to see how many 9 year-old dreams I had shoved aside, saw that in fact no kids were crying and shitting their pants because I had snagged their ball, and then remembered to raise the ball in triumph.

And then, still jacked with adrenaline, I heard somebody tell me that Uecker is talking about the catch on his broadcast. So of course that night I listened to the archived stream of the game, and sure enough, he had praised my efforts. And also laughed at them. Pretty surreal to, for thirty seconds, be a part of that fourth dimension, in my ears and head, that I visit almost nightly during baseball season.

Here are those thirty seconds: http://soundcloud.com/best-foul-ball-catcher-ev/the-catch
joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:31 am
@Gargamel,
Pretty cool.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:44 am
@Gargamel,

(can't get it to play -- what am i doing wrong)
Rockhead

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 03:02 pm
RIP Mike Flanagan.

"He was 141-116 with Baltimore and is a member of the team’s Hall of Fame."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-obit-flanagan

a sad, ugly way to go...
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 07:53 pm
@Region Philbis,
gotta press the play button Einstein
panzade

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 08:00 pm
After 136 years and 200,000 Major League games the Yankees do the unthinkable...hit 3 grand slams in one game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=310825110
Roberta

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:12 pm
@panzade,
Very Happy
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:30 pm
Yay, Gargamel, Hall of Fame material on the first vote, in a brand new category.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:14 am
@panzade,

amazingly, the yanks had 29 LOB's, including 9 by jeter Laughing
nice pitching by the A's... nawt!
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:17 am
@panzade,
Quote:
gotta press the play button Einstein
ohhhhhhhhh, you mean that big orange circle with a white arrow that looks suspiciously like a "play" button???

(windows 7 no good... got it to work on vista)
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 10:58 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

amazingly, the yanks had 29 LOB's, including 9 by jeter Laughing
nice pitching by the A's... nawt!

Yeah, they threw out their sacrificial lambs, I noticed. Two guys with, like, less than a dozen career major league innings.

I'm sure they're not even thinking about it this morning.

Because they're still drunk.
0 Replies