The Baseball Thread

Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:57 pm
• Silver Slugger Award (1996)
• 5× All-Star (1997, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2006)
• Led NL in home runs in 2003
• Tied 1st all time for walk-off home runs (12)
• 600 home run club
• In his first year 2006 after his trade to ChiSox, hit 42 homers, batted in 109 runs, and hit .288.
• He also struck out 30.0% of the time, the highest percentage in the American League.

• He is considered one of the most complete power hitters of his era due to his ability to create extra base hits, maintain a solid batting average for a power hitter (his career batting average is .277), and ability to get on base. Despite this, he is still very prone to striking out. He is 2nd on the all-time list of strikeouts by a batter, and the active leader in that category, with 2,395. Thome also has 1,708 walks. Only 7 other major league players have more career walks than Thome.
• Thome has been named Player of the Month three times: July 2001, September 2003 and June 2004. He is one of only six players to be named Player of the Month in each league (Vladimir Guerrero, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Gaylord Perry and Dave Winfield are the others).
• Jim Thome has the fifth-lowest career AB/HR (at bats per home run) average in major-league history. His 13.68 is eclipsed only by Mark McGwire (10.61), Babe Ruth (11.76), Ryan Howard (12.16), and Barry Bonds (12.90). Stretching behind Thome, all with averages greater than 14, are such hall-of-famers as Ralph Kiner, Harmon Killebrew, Ted Williams, Mickey Mantle, Jimmie Foxx, and Mike Schmidt, in that order.
• Although once a fine first baseman, with a career fielding percentage of .994, injuries have hampered Thome so that he is almost completely limited to the DH position. Thome played one game at first base for the Chicago White Sox in 2007, but he has not played the field since.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 12:59 pm
@Rockhead,
Did he DH a lot before he joined the Sox? Did he make a lot of outs on the basepaths? If he was notorious for it, I had no idea. Surely he didn't steal a lot of bases, but SBs don't contribute significantly to run production.

But these are different arguments altogether. I was just arguing against the significance of strikeouts for a player who gets on base a lot.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 01:04 pm
@Gargamel,
my point is this, I think...

we are talking about him because of the 600 thing.

If he were not a DH, he retires in 2005.

far short of the number.

McGriff was a better overall player by far.

Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 01:13 pm
my argument with myself over this...

If I could not bring myself to put him on my fantasy baseball team. (i think he was there for a day or two once)

how can I think he should be in the hall?

Junior Griffey goes first ballot...
Gargamel

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 01:37 pm
@Rockhead,
Yeah, I don't know where I sit on his HOF worthiness. No one gets in just on the merits of their defense, so why should it go the other way?
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 02:37 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Personally, being a long-time baseball fan, I feel that the high amount of strikeouts a player has had is but one issue or drawback to Cooperstown status - but it's no THE issue. (After all, Babe was a high strike-out hitter, but for sure it doesn't disqualify him or many of the other great HOF players who struck out a lot .)

Babe Ruth struck out a lot for a player in the 1920s, but not a lot in comparison to today's players. His highest strikeout total was 93 in 1923. That doesn't even put him in the top 500 for most strikeouts in a season.

Ragman wrote:
But, couple his strikeout totals and his less-than-stellar productive years in his declining years, he has a weight on his Cooperstown vote. You can't penalize him ytoo much for his later years that he is a DH, but it doesn't earn him a lot of positive votes either. It's all dependent on his competition with respect to the group that is up for votes at time of his eligibility.

It would have a lot of weight with me, but then I'm not a fan of the DH. And I'm not a member of the BBWAA, which must make Thome feel a little better.

Ragman wrote:
As for Fred McGriff eligibility: may he NEVER enter Cooperstown. He's tainted big time with steroids.

Really? I had never heard that.

Ragman wrote:
How many team MVPs has Thome won? Off-hand, I know of no MLB MVP awards he has won?

That's correct.
joefromchicago

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 02:41 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

my point is this, I think...

we are talking about him because of the 600 thing.

If he were not a DH, he retires in 2005.

far short of the number.

And that's my big gripe with the DH. Like I said before, the only reason Thome is still in the game is because he can hit home runs. He's a one-dimensional player, and has been since he came to the White Sox in 2006.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 02:46 pm
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

Yeah, I don't know where I sit on his HOF worthiness. No one gets in just on the merits of their defense, so why should it go the other way?

Off the top of my head, I can think of three players who are in the HoF primarily because of their fielding: Ozzie Smith; Brooks Robinson; and Rabbit Maranville. You could probably throw Luis Aparicio and Bobby Wallace into that category too. And Bill Mazeroski would be in that group as well, except that we all know he's really in the HoF because he once hit a home run against the Yankees.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:24 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
contact advances base runners.
not always.
with a runner on first and less than two outs, a whiff is much better than a GIDP...
Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:26 pm
@Region Philbis,
especially if Thome is on first at the time.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 17 Aug, 2011 03:33 pm
@joefromchicago,
IMHO, Ozzie Smith belongs in the HOF because of great fielding, decent hitting, stealing bases and that acrobatic flip. Man...what a trip!

Brooks belongs there because besides being one of the best fielders of ALL-TIME, he was a clutch hitter and hit in clutch in WS not just reg games. plus he was league MVP in 1964. He hit some qty of HR..far better hitter than I recalled.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2011 10:12 am
Quote:
Mike Jacobs suspended for HGH

Colorado Rockies minor leaguer Mike Jacobs carved his name in drug-testing history Thursday by becoming the first
North American professional athlete to be suspended for testing positive for human growth hormone.

Jacobs, who has been playing for the Rockies' Triple-A affiliate in Colorado Springs, was suspended for 50 games,
effective immediately. The 30-year-old first baseman has played for the New York Mets, Florida Marlins and Kansas City
Royals, but hasn't appeared in the major leagues at all this season.

According to the commissioner's office, Jacobs is the first athlete in any North American professional sport to test
positive for HGH. The only positive test anywhere involved British rugby player Terry Newton, in 2010.

The Rockies released Jacobs Thursday after he was suspended.

"We were very disappointed to learn that Mike Jacobs had been suspended after testing positive for a performance-enhancing
substance," the team said in a statement Thursday. "The Colorado Rockies have long been committed to eliminating the use of
performance-enhancing substances from the game of baseball. We have fully supported the adoption and implementation of
the Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association joint drug prevention and treatment program."

Jacobs apologized in a statement, saying he used HGH to try to recover from injuries.

"A few weeks ago, in an attempt to overcome knee and back problems, I made the terrible decision to take HGH," Jacobs said
in the statement.

"I immediately stopped a couple of days later after being tested. Taking it was one of the worst decisions I could have ever made,
one for which I take full responsibility. I apologize to my family, friends, the Colorado Rockies organization, Major League Baseball
and to the fans. Now, as required by the minor league drug program, I will serve a 50-game suspension. After my suspension is
completed, I hope to have the opportunity to continue my career in the game that I love so much."
(espn)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 10:36 am
What's up with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts letting fired GM Hendry run operations right around the trade deadline.?
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 20 Aug, 2011 01:28 pm
@panzade,
Hendry hadn't completed his job of totally screwing up the organization, so Ricketts let him stick around until he finished.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 08:45 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

What's up with Cubs owner Tom Ricketts letting fired GM Hendry run operations right around the trade deadline.?

He's a mole for the Cards.

Anyway, really looking forward to Giambi signing a five-year deal as the Cubs new first baseman this December.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 11:17 am
@Gargamel,
Garg, remember when I wrote that the Cards were going to give the Brew Crew a run for their money?

Well, I gotta admit it. I was wrong.
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 12:05 pm
@fbaezer,
MLB season still has time left though with about 20% remaining. However, it seems pretty unlikely as Cards are not hot at all and Brew crew is white-hot.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 12:21 pm
@joefromchicago,
OK. I'll admit to my ignorance, though I'm a big beisbol fan. I've show 'fanny' more than edu-ca-mated fan. 1000 pardons!

In deed, Babe R did not strikeout a lot per season for free-swinging HR hitter. His SO rate of 15.8% of the time (equiv 83 SO/ out of typical 550 AB season). FWIW, in comparison Ty Cobb was a career 3.1% SO rate. However, their hitting styles were vastly different.

Also, Fred McGriff, as far as all reports goes, has been viewed as squeaky clean steroid-wise. His HR totals pre-1993 and after it are relatively similiar with the exception of a spurt happening in '99 season.

Exposed myself there. In my feverish mind I had him linked/equated with McGwire who has been tainted from the same era.
Ragman

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 12:39 pm
@Ragman,
And ..McGwire also admitted (after bing exposed) to repeated and sporadic steroid use (for recovery from injuries).
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2011 01:59 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

Garg, remember when I wrote that the Cards were going to give the Brew Crew a run for their money?

Well, I gotta admit it. I was wrong.

I am cherishing the unusual experience of enjoying late-August baseball. This 8.5 game divisional lead is tied for the largest in Brewers history.

When did they last have such a lead? In 2008. And they BLEW IT IN LESS THAN A MONTH.

So I am as anxious as I am elated.