The Baseball Thread

fbaezer

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:10 pm
I was just watchin' the Series, with no real team to root for.
Then, on game 3, I saw GWB rooting for the Rangers.
Go Giants!
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:15 pm
On the other hand, a couple of nuns have had season tickets to the Rangers games for decades. Do you want to root against nuns, Fbaezer?
fbaezer

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 07:40 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

On the other hand, a couple of nuns have had season tickets to the Rangers games for decades. Do you want to root against nuns, Fbaezer?

Certainly!
Their suffering with the Rangers' loss -after so many years of not even making the WS- will only make their heavenly indulgences account even fatter.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:47 pm
Giants win.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:48 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Giants win.

I guess it means plenary indulgences for the nuns.
realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 08:57 pm
@fbaezer,
I went to a Catholic grade school with nuns. I was a bit of a brat and spent a lot of time cleaning blackboards after writing, multiple times, "I will not (do whatever I had done.)"
At the end of one year, I am not making this up, I was recognized as being the Best Blackboard Cleaner.
It was the highlight of my life.
fbaezer

Reply Mon 1 Nov, 2010 09:27 pm
@realjohnboy,
I knew about you being in a school with nuns (explains some traumas, I guess), so I knew you'd fully understand about the indulgences.

Belated congrats on that board cleaning prize.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 05:27 am
@realjohnboy,

happy for Eddie Rent, who was mercilessly booed outta beantown in '05 -- "rent-a-wreck" we called him back then.
he goes down in history with Gehrig, DiMaggio and Berra as the only players to have series-winning hits twice in their careers...

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:32 am
I been waitin' for this since them bums was in New York . . . i always resented the move of my Giants to San Francisco . . . but now, all is forgiven . . .
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 2 Nov, 2010 06:37 am
regardless of the election outcome, we now know that god has abandon america, the godless liberal dope smoking sodomites vanquishing the true american conservative born agains

maybe the westboro church is right after all
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 11:30 am

Jon Miller, Joe Morgan not returning to "Sunday Night Baseball"
Quote:
Jon Miller and Joe Morgan's 21-year run on ESPN's "Sunday Night Baseball" is over.

Morgan's contract is expiring and he will not be renewed. Miller's contract is also expiring though
he may remain at ESPN working the "Sunday Night Baseball" series and postseason baseball for ESPN Radio.

"Jon and Joe have contributed greatly to the success of 'Sunday Night Baseball' for the past 21 seasons,"
ESPN executive vice president Norby Williamson said in a statement Monday. "Over the last two decades,
Joe went from Hall of Fame player to one of his sport's top analysts and Jon's Hall of Fame voice and
tremendous knowledge of the game have connected with baseball fans everywhere. We owe them our
deepest thanks for an outstanding body of work."
(espn)
panzade

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 02:17 pm
@Region Philbis,
They were a great team.
fbaezer

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 02:21 pm
@panzade,
I have heard or read that Joe Morgan was Mr. Baseball Commonplace. Now they say he was a great analyst.
What's your take, fellows?
(On ESPN Sunday Nights I have Ernesto Jerez and Candy Maldonado).
joefromchicago

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 03:21 pm
@fbaezer,
Nobody was better at promoting the legend of Joe Morgan quite so well as Joe Morgan.
panzade

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 03:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
there's some truth to that
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 04:54 pm
@fbaezer,

great team.
morgan made plenty of mistakes, but miller always managed to smooth them over...
panzade

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 07:48 pm
@Region Philbis,
right...I seem to remember Miller being the Orioles announcer back in the goodle days when I listened to them on the radio.
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 9 Nov, 2010 07:52 pm
@panzade,
Me, too, re Miller as the Oriole broadcast guy years and years ago.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2010 04:15 am
@realjohnboy,

Quote:
Miller was dismissed by the Athletics following the 1974 season. After brief stints with the Texas Rangers (1978-79)
and the Boston Red Sox (1980-82), he was hired in 1983 by Baltimore's WFBR Radio, which at the time served as the
flagship station for the Baltimore Orioles.

Since 1997, Miller has been the primary play-by-play voice of the San Francisco Giants.
(wiki)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2010 06:22 am

Playoffs to be Expanded to 10 Teams

Quote:
Commissioner Bud Selig's plan to expand baseball's playoffs to 10 teams gained a sense of inevitability after little to no opposition emerged during meetings this week with owners and general managers.

Selig said his special 14-man committee will discuss adding two wild-card teams when it meets Dec. 7 during the winter meetings in nearby Lake Buena Vista.

"We will move ahead, and move ahead pretty quickly," Selig said Thursday after three days of meetings concluded.

A change would have to be approved by owners, who next meet Jan. 12-13 in Paradise Valley, Ariz., and by the players' association, which has said it is open to the extra round. The additional games would also have to be sold to baseball's national television partners and slotted into a crowded schedule that has already pushed the World Series into November in the past two years.

Because baseball's labor contract runs to December 2011, the extra round of playoffs is not likely to start until 2012.
(espn)

this will undoubtedly help my red sawx in the super-tough AL east...