The Baseball Thread

George

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 05:51 am
@tsarstepan,
Ask Ygritte.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 05:24 am

ryan rayburn, your crawl-under rock is waiting for you in the clubhouse...

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2014 07:17 pm
@Region Philbis,
Has Raburn contacted 50 Cent's people to see about throwing lessons?
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 04:59 am
@Ticomaya,
Im planning to send the Phillies a series of new design bats for Ryan Howard. He only seems to need a bat that is about 6" longer
Ragman

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 05:22 am
@Ticomaya,
If I were him I wouldn't want go back to the clubhouse. Of course, to begin with if I really were him, on a daily basis I'd have been doing what he did, so they wouldn't let me into the ballpark.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 11:35 am
@farmerman,
The Phillies have some major problems with aging players and huge contracts.
Wouldn't be surprised if Utley is the only one standing next year.
farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 11:38 am
@panzade,
I think he will be retired also.
Nostalgia over good business hs left us with a battered and aging team. BUT, we have a few seceret weapons coming on via the Farm system
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 30 Jul, 2014 04:08 pm
An attaboy for my Marlins.
The other night they made up a 0-6 deficit by pummeling a super Wash Nats reliever squad and won it with a walk-off single by Jeff Baker.
Who?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 07:30 am
@panzade,
Went to a Brooklyn Cyclones minor league game yesterday night. The law firm in which I work for, treated us to the game as well as some hot dogs from Nathan's Famous.

The Cyclone's handily beat the Auburn DoubleDays with the score 9-4.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/tsarstepan/Brooklyn%20Cyclones%207-30-14/WP_20140730_012.jpg
http://s1190.photobucket.com/user/tsarstepan/library/Brooklyn%20Cyclones%207-30-14
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 02:19 pm
Quote:
The Detroit Tigers have acquired All-Star left-hander David Price in a blockbuster three-team trade with
the Tampa Bay Rays and Seattle Mariners, a source has confirmed to ESPN's Jayson Stark.

Detroit sent center fielder Austin Jackson to Seattle while Tampa Bay received left-hander Drew Smyly
from the Tigers and infielder Nick Franklin from the Mariners, according to multiple reports.
(espn)
Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 02:21 pm
@Region Philbis,
Code:TB Rays just let go of Zobrist to the Pirates.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 03:14 pm
@Ragman,

they're only 5.5 games back in the wildcard chase
http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/type/wild-card

surprised they're throwing in the towel...
Ragman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 03:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
Perhaps they're not focusing on this year but focusing on next year? It sure seems they are..just like Red Sox are doing.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 04:13 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
TB Rays just let go of Zobrist to the Pirates.

...nonsense
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 05:27 pm
Quote:
Did ESPN Get Fooled By A Fake Twitter Account
Reporting A Zobrist Trade?

Minutes ago on Baseball Tonight's trade deadline special, it was announced that Tampa's
Ben Zobrist was heading to Pittsburgh. But it wasn't true, and the first and only person
reporting it was a fake Bob Nightengale Twitter account.

Moderator Jon Sciambi, presumably fed the news by a producer, threw it to the panel:
"Here's what's out there right now, that Ben Zobrist has actually been moved as well
by the Tampa Bay Rays." They quickly threw up footage of Zobrist over a graphic that
said he was going to the Pirates. Buster Olney acted like it was no surprise:
"That's what we heard all along, that if the Rays deciced to trade David Price, they were
going to move Ben Zobrist as well."

The problem is, Ben Zobrist wasn't traded today. Confirmed by reporters in Pittsburgh
and Tampa, and now by the Pirates.

ESPN appeared to catch its mistake fairly quickly—the Zobrist-to-Pittsburgh graphic was
taken down, and at the 2-minute mark of the video above, Sciambi offers a confusing
correction that doesn't mention Zobrist, but appears to clarify that he wasn't involved
in the David Price multi-team trade, as they had perhaps assumed.

So who's the patient zero on this rumor? The very first tweet to mention Zobrist to
Pittsburgh is this one, from a guy with a couple hundred followers who's spent the day
pretending to be Bob Nightengale. He sent this out about 20 minutes before ESPN's crew
began discussing it.
(deadspin)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2014 08:45 pm
In my estimation the Rays threw in the towel way too quickly.

Watching them play the last 2 weeks they seemed to be gathering momentum.
They were only 5 games back in the WC race.

Like Buster Olney said, they could have gotten just as much in return if they'd waited til November to trade Price.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:58 am
http://storage.torontosun.com/v1/dynamic_resize/sws_path/suns-prod-images/1297590021637_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&size=420x
Marlins manager Redmond snapped when umpires in NY overturned an out call at home plate that gave the Reds a likely victory..
Worst call I've ever seen in 50 years....bar none
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2014 05:19 pm
Mo'Ne Davis makes Little League World Series history in three-hit shutout
She's an amazing pitcher...really enjoyed watching her last night
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2014 10:42 pm
LETS go ROYals...
Ragman

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2014 01:37 pm