Your editing comments are appreciated here

Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:41 am
First I'd say that Mr. Jordan has posted a good thread, though he added the awkward snake's tail (as Chinese saying goes) to it.

Second, I'd prefer Einstein's God rather than Mr Jordan's supernatural beings. Obviously the latter shows too much superstition.

Third, Mr Jordan tells us to be careful in treating Asians (including Chinese of course) because Asians are good at voodoo and so forth. Would you permit me to ask you a question, Mr Jordan? If Ghosts existed and Chinese were stronger-minded than Americans, why China is so poor and is still a developing country? Your ghosts don't work, Mr Jordan.

More later.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,424 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Robert Gentel

Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:07 am
@oristarA,
oristarA,

That was not bad, your English seems to be improving. There are only two small corrections I would make.

Quote:
Third, Mr Jordan tells us to be careful in treating Asians (including Chinese of course) because Asians are good at voodoo and so forth.

This part doesn't quite make sense, you should substitute "treating" for "handling" or "dealing with" if I understand your intended meaning correctly.

Quote:
Would you permit me to ask you a question, Mr Jordan? If Ghosts existed and Chinese were stronger-minded than Americans, why China is so poor and is still a developing country?

The last part of this should read "why is China" instead of "why China is". You could also drop the "is" from "is still a developing country" and it would be cleaner.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:13 am
@oristarA,
Put a comma after "First" in the first paragraph. Also: "(as the Chinese saying goes)"

Put a period after "Mr" in the second and third paragraphs. I'd put a comma after "Obviously" in the second (but others might disagree). Instead, you might rewrite that sentence, such as: "The latter involves too much superstition, in my opinion." (Not sure it's "obvious," particularly if you are discussing your preferences or opinion.

Don't use a capital "G" in the word "ghosts," in the third paragraph. Finally, "... why China is so poor and is still a developing country?" should be changed to "... why is China so poor and still a developing country?"
Robert Gentel

Thu 23 Jul, 2009 09:33 am
@Ticomaya,
Whoops. I neglected punctuation entirely.

oristarA, let me know if you care about that. I usually just focus on the vocabulary and grammar when I edit your texts.
0 Replies

oristarA

Thu 23 Jul, 2009 10:53 pm
Thank you both!
0 Replies

Setanta
  Selected Answer

Thu 23 Jul, 2009 11:30 pm
@oristarA,
Tico got the part about using "the" before the name of a people (in this case, the Chinese), and both RG and Tico gave you good advice about the rest of it.

My comments would be about the content and about style.

Second, I'd prefer Einstein's God rather than Mr Jordan's supernatural beings. Obviously the latter shows too much superstition.

Although there is nothing wrong about "prefer . . . rather than," most English-speakers would probably write: ". . . I'd prefer Einstein's God to Mr. Jordan's supernatural beings." (Please note that the English would write "Mr Jordan," while Americans--at least of my generation--would write "Mr. Jordan.") I'd also probably prefer to write: "Obviously, the latter is too superstitious."

Then you write: " . . . because Asians are good at voodoo and so forth." For Americans, at least, Voodoo (or Vodun--in either case, it is usually capitalized) is associated with people of the West Indian islands--those descended from Africans--rather than with Asians. That being said, i cannot suggest a better alternative right off the top of my head. Also, the use of "and so forth" is here a weak construction--it should really only be used when it can be expected that the reader will know what else would be associated with the referent. In this case, what else is there that one would associate in one's mind with Voodoo?

All that being said, it is well written, and knowing that students of ESL prefer their own constructions, you might just as well ignore my stylistic suggestions.
oristarA

Fri 24 Jul, 2009 08:24 pm
@Setanta,
I appreciate your opinion on my writing, Setanta.
I know how heartfelt you are in improving the accuracy of my English expression and I am grateful for what you've done.
Thank you again.
0 Replies

proofreadmyfile

Thu 9 Apr, 2015 11:39 pm
@oristarA,
Hi OristarA
Thanks to Mr. Jordan for the great thread he has posted, and now OristarA I liked the way you answered for the thread, Really its appreciable for me.
oristarA

Fri 10 Apr, 2015 04:59 am
@proofreadmyfile,
Thanks for appreciating.
0 Replies