a plethora of

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:40 am
Hello,

I can find a host of examples of "a plethora of something" like "a plethora of products", "a plethora of pictures". Can we use uncountable nouns after "a plethora of", such as "a plethora of violence", "a plethora of carbon dioxide", "a plethora of dirty water"?

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 3,055 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 06:45 am
@jinmin1988,
I think you can because it just means an excess of something. The language experts are welcome to correct me, but that is my understanding of the word.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 12:05 pm
@Green Witch,
I've never seen 'plethora' used with uncountable nouns.
Francis

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 12:50 pm
@ossobuco,
As the word exists in other languages too, I agree that it should not be used with uncountable nouns..
Sglass

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:04 am
@Francis,
uncountable nouns do not have plurals correct?
MontereyJack

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:18 am
plethora--def. : a bodily condition characterized by an excess of blood and marked by turgescence and a florid complexion.

probably not the sense of the word we're concerned with here. "plethora" is another one of those words ESL teachers seem to come up with but that you will probably never hear anybody ever use in actual speech. People may have a rough idea what it means, but I don't think it's part of most people's speech vocabulary. I'd say you probably do have to use a count noun.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 02:47 am
Maybe J meant plethera???
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:04 am
@Sglass,
Well, you know I'm only a dilettante in English language (but a determined one).

I'd say that the answer to your question is yes, by the usual grammar rules.

However, consider the following:

- Water is uncountable, but you add an s as to form a plural: you are losing the waters, the waters of the deluge, I'll take the waters.

- People is uncountable but you can add an s: that ethnologist can identify many peoples.

- Coffee is uncountable but you can add an s: he took two coffees.

And so on...
McTag

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 09:25 am

More thoughtful stuff from Francis, always valuable.

I'd agree that plethora is used only with countable nouns.

And this reminds me of the following, wrt. "less" and "fewer"

Less bacon, fewer pigs.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2009 03:10 pm
Who's never heard the word "plethora" used in actual speech?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik
Wy

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 05:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
I use it.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:31 pm
@Francis,
Quote:
However, consider the following:

- Water is uncountable, but you add an s as to form a plural: you are losing the waters, the waters of the deluge, I'll take the waters.

- People is uncountable but you can add an s: that ethnologist can identify many peoples.

- Coffee is uncountable but you can add an s: he took two coffees.

And so on...

Water is uncountable when it's uncountable and countable when it's countable, Francis. So only when it's being used as a countable do you add an s.

People is countable --> There are three people in the room. It doesn't normally need an s because it is already a plural form, an irregular one.

Coffee is also uncountable when it's uncountable and countable when it's countable. So only when it's being used as a countable do you add an s.

Two coffees/whiskies/beers/milks is really just a shortcut for Two cups of coffee/two shots of whiskey/ two bottles or pints of beer ... .
McTag

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 04:49 am
@JTT,
And three peoples is short for three discrete ethnic population groups.
Francis

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 05:22 am
@McTag,
Indeed.

That's what I meant..
0 Replies