Is the sentence correct?

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 09:36 pm
I go to school by walking.

I was taught that it should be "I walk to school." Some time ago, I saw the above sentence. Is it correct?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,211 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 11:58 pm
@tanguatlay,
It is understandable, but it is not very natural.

I get to school by walking
I go to school on foot

look better

Quote:
I was taught that it should be "I walk to school."

"I walk to school" is just one of a number of possible ways to express this idea.
McTag

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 01:04 am
@contrex,

I agree.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 01:17 am
"I go to school by walking" focuses on the mode you use to get to school--i.e. walking. It contrasts with "I go to school by car" or "I go to school by bus". There is a common action "going to school" in all of them, but a different modified means in each. "I walk to school" eems to focus more on the action of getting to school and less on the means. As pointed out above, either is okay, but most English speakers would generally prefer, "I walk to school".
contrex

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 01:45 am
@MontereyJack,
I think this is a good point that MontereyJack has raised. Often, when I read Tanguatlay's questions, I have the impression that she asks them because she is correcting somebody elses written work: maybe a student's homework. From time to time she comes across a word or phrase that she is not familiar with. "Is it wrong? I'll ask the people on able2know", she thinks.

Sometimes an answer is easy to give, the word or phrase is just plain incorrect, but sometimes the answer is more complicated, because writing good English is not just a matter of choosing between the "right" and "wrong" verb or noun or adjective. Often it is necessary to choose the best out of a range of possible alternatives that best suit the context.

"How do we get to school?" asked the teacher. "My house is five kilometres from school; I go to school by car." said John. "I live the same distance away", Peter added, and continued: "However my family does not own a car. I go to school by bus." Everyone looked at Contrex. "My house is just over there", he said, pointing out of the window. "I walk to school."

0 Replies

Miss Linda

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 04:44 pm
@tanguatlay,
It's native to say:
I walk to school or I drive to school

But:

I go to school by (car/bus)
I go to Londong by (train/ plane)
contrex

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 05:34 pm
@Miss Linda,