ANY OPINIONS OF "ARTERY CLEARING" PROMOTED BY HUGH DOWNS?

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:51 am

ANY OPINIONS OF "ARTERY CLEARING" SUBSTANCE
PROMOTED BY HUGH DOWNS ?

Does anyone know if it does any good ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 5,289 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 12:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Hugh Downs seems to have been bought and paid for long ago. Nice man that he may be, I wouldn't believe a smidge of what he advertises.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:06 am
@ossobuco,

Thank u, Osso
roger

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:13 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah. I was wondering about some kind of energy boosting crap being pushed by Lance Armstrong, Barbara Walters, and other names I was probably supposed to recognize. I gave it a pass on the same grounds.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:16 am
@roger,
Well, I did just read about espresso as plaque clearing, I say, exagerrating re mice.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:24 am
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I'm driving myself nuts. There was a really really really good article about a scientist from India at UCSD and various studies in a new yorker article a few months ago. I gave the NYer to D and D and can't remember his name (snarls at self).

I get it that I'm not following the latest science stuff. What latest science stuff will let me follow, as a lay person?
mismi

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:46 am
@ossobuco,
Oh I totally agree Osso. When I saw how he set up that promo commercial for that book...I was so annoyed. Basically he is taking advantage of his journalistic integrity to make money. Truly - I can't believe he doesn't understand how he has totally thrown that integrity to the wind now. Or, maybe he does. I don't know. The book may be great - but I would be suspect of it...just because of how he did it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 05:56 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yeah. I was wondering about some kind of energy boosting crap being pushed by Lance Armstrong,
Barbara Walters, and other names I was probably supposed to recognize.
I gave it a pass on the same grounds.

I need more energy; too ofen I fall asleep at the computer.
Good thing that most of the time I can sleep as late as I want the next day,
unless I have somewhere to go. Its gotten so bad that many times my low level
of energy interferes with my posted commentary on line.
My surgeon told me to exercise. I hope he has good malpractice insurance.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:02 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Well, I did just read about espresso as plaque clearing,
I say, exagerrating re mice.

OK, I 'll see if I can find one. I saw an Opossum in my backyard
a few weeks ago. Last summer, a racoon stomped on my left foot, in the same yard.
That place is getting to be like Grand Central Station-- no mice, tho.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:04 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Meantime, I'm driving myself nuts. There was a really really really good article
about a scientist from India at UCSD and various studies in a new yorker article a few months ago.
I gave the NYer to D and D and can't remember his name (snarls at self).

I get it that I'm not following the latest science stuff.
What latest science stuff will let me follow, as a lay person?

Maybe Google will help ?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 06:09 am
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

Oh I totally agree Osso. When I saw how he set up that promo commercial
for that book...I was so annoyed. Basically he is taking advantage of his
journalistic integrity to make money. Truly - I can't believe he
doesn't understand how he has totally thrown that integrity to
the wind now. Or, maybe he does. I don't know. The book may be
great - but I would be suspect of it...just because of how he did it.

Well, it IS theoretically conceivable that famous people can tell the truth SOMETIMES.
I don 't know if that theory has ever been tested.
mismi

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 07:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well...it's not his honesty that I am questioning so much . Though the way he set up the infomercial to make it seem like a real interview - peddling this book, certainly makes me question it. I think if he believed in the book - he could have done a simple commercial stating he believed strongly in the book and it's usefulness. Instead he used his journalistic background to snare. That's the way I see it anyway.

It just seems a little...contrived...which makes me think that he did it for money and not so much that he believed in it.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 07:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Come on David. The surgeon doesn't make any money by getting you to excercise-- why not trust him. It seems to me that exercise is fine advice (particularly from a surgeon).

It is the surgeons who tell me I need surgery that make me suspicious. Isn't this part of the reason that health care costs are so high?

I don't think I would want a surgeon who didn't tell me to exercise.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 02:56 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

I need more energy; too ofen I fall asleep at the computer.
Good thing that most of the time I can sleep as late as I want the next day,
unless I have somewhere to go. Its gotten so bad that many times my low level
of energy interferes with my posted commentary on line.

That's how I feel, and sure enough, whatever problem we can come up with, someone is ready to sell us a cure.

Your doctor may be correct on this one. If racoons are stepping on your feet, you probably should be moving around more.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Meantime, I'm driving myself nuts. There was a really really really good article about a scientist from India at UCSD and various studies in a new yorker article a few months ago. I gave the NYer to D and D and can't remember his name (snarls at self).

I get it that I'm not following the latest science stuff. What latest science stuff will let me follow, as a lay person?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I'll find the link, it was in the BBC news health section. Adds, I should have been clearer - it wasn't about blood vessel plaque, but about alzheimer's plaques in the brain. However, I've seen other articles recently on the benefits of drinking coffee, perhaps some of those also on the BBC news online site.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:26 pm
@ossobuco,
OK, here's that link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8132122.stm

I didn't seen the other articles I was referring to, David, so I'll look in my "health" files.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:34 pm
@ossobuco,
And here's one more bit about coffee that I grabbed from my health files -

http://www.webmd.com/stroke/news/20090216/coffee-cuts-stroke-risk-in-women

That was not specifically about artery clearing. I'll look further on that tomorrow, as it could take me quite a while to search.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:39 pm
@Foofie,
Thanks, Foofie. My allusion was to the matter of really checking out the latest science papers, as those tend to be sites that involve payment. But I'll look at your link as a "keep up with the news" help. And, who am I kidding, I haven't read science papers for decades and would probably only confuse myself now.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 11:52 pm
@ossobuco,
I did just find the NYer article I was whining about losing track of. The article was titled "Brain Games", by John Colapinto, and the subject's name is Ramachandran - but it seems to be only available to subscribers.
0 Replies