Baseball: switch hitters

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 09:52 pm
We got in a discussion today about switch hitters.

Mr. B thinks they would change their batting hand based on where they want to hit the ball.

I suggested that they would change their batting hand based on who was pitching to them.

Truth is, neither of us really know.

How does a switch hitter decide which hand to bat with?

Thanks!

littlek

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:01 pm
My guess is that they use the ability in any way that might give their team a benefit - both of you are right.
mismi

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:02 pm
@littlek,
I agree - both
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:06 pm
@boomerang,
mostly the pitcher.

(whether the pitcher is a lefty or a righty)

its percentages and comfort with the curveball.

bunting is easier from the left... (shorter distance to first)
boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:20 pm
Oh I just hate it when we're both right. Where is the fun in that?

So.... if the pitcher is a lefty do you hit right or left?
kuvasz

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:29 pm
righty
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:43 pm
Okay!

How does that work to the batter's advantage?
Rockhead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 10:47 pm
@boomerang,
you don't do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I28o24u3UUk
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 01:01 am
I was {still am} a switch hitter....the advantage is...if the guy is pitching right, and you are batting right, after his windup you can see his hand/the ball a split second sooner than if he were throwing across his body at you....so, you bat from the side that the ball will come from...."keep your eye on the ball"...the sooner you are able to do that, the more time you have to adjust your stance or swing....which is actually done out of reflex, cause you really don't have time to think.

Generally I always prefered bating left, as somebody already said...you are one step closer to first base...that and my left swing just had a lot more power, and was very natural...my right swing was forced. When I'm playing with the kids, I usually bat right, and they know to play a shallow field....but, before we quit, I always hit a few batting left...and they know to scoot way back. I throw right, and write with my right hand, but most anything else I do lefty.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 04:50 am
@Rockhead,
Quote:
bunting is easier from the left... (shorter distance to first)

One of the twins is a switch hitter. The coach uses him to throw off the other team...used that ability during play offs. Coach loved that he could bunt left handed up third base line (when no one was on third) and book it for 1st.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 05:21 am
@boomerang,

some switch-hitters elect to bat righty against tim wakefield, a right-handed knuckleball pitcher.
not exactly sure why...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 09:39 am
@boomerang,
Usually it has to do with the pitcher.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 08:32 pm
Oh wait wait wait...

If the pitcher throws left you bat right or left? I'm confused again. It seems we have two answers.

That is interesting about seeing the ball just a split second sooner! Amazing.

And being closer to the base makes sense although I wonder if the turning doesn't somehow slow you down a second or two...

And now I want to know why they bat against that one guy (sorry, memory failure) opposite of what they would usually do.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 9 Jul, 2009 08:52 pm
theory...

baseball is full of theory.

in theory, a batter at high levels is able to pick up the ball at a better angle from a pitcher of the opposite hand, and read the spin...

(and he does not feel the urge to bail out so much)

there are no absolutes.

growing up, I hit lefty only situationally, as I had no pop from that side, but could make consistent contact, and bunt.

bunting lefty, you are already moving to first as you drag the bat behind you.

(it helps a slow catcher to beat out the throw) Rolling Eyes
2PacksAday

Reply Fri 10 Jul, 2009 01:30 am
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

in theory, a batter at high levels is able to pick up the ball at a better angle from a pitcher of the opposite hand, and read the spin...

(and he does not feel the urge to bail out so much)

there are no absolutes.

Yeah, most guys prefer to bat opposite of the pitcher....if they are able to do so....I always had better luck batting from the same side. I never could read the seams...or saw any dots...from either side....guess that's why I never made it to the majors.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 11 Jul, 2009 04:42 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
And now I want to know why they bat against that one guy (sorry, memory failure) opposite of what they would usually do.
it's possible that they are natural right-handed hitters, and simply feel more comfortable batting that way against the erratic knuckleball...
0 Replies