Drowning or near drowning

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:18 pm
Anyone know what is considered officially a drowning? Say someone was under water and unresponsive, but recovered - would this be near drowning or drowning? Do you have to die to have drown in other words?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,304 • Replies: 8
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:41 pm
I think you have to die to drown. Otherwise you didn't drown.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:55 pm
@Linkat,
near drowning sounds right.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:55 pm
BPB Jr. drowned when he was 9. he had a seaizure in a pool. He was declared dead and then revived afer 3 to 4 minutes. It's about as scary as anything period. The miracle is no measurable brain or organ damage occured.
JPB

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:57 pm
Here you go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drown

Quote:
Drowning is death from suffocation (asphyxia) caused by a liquid entering the lungs and preventing the absorption of oxygen leading to cerebral hypoxia and myocardial infarction. [1]

Near drowning is the survival of a drowning event involving unconsciousness or water inhalation and can lead to serious secondary complications, including death, after the event.[1][2]

Secondary drowning is death due to chemical or biological changes in the lungs after a near drowning incident.
Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 03:02 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
My goodness that had to scary - I was asking as this young girl had drowned or had a near drowning just the other day - she was unresponsive and even when taken away by the ambulance wasn't moving at all. Fortunately she made a full recovery - no brain damage/just had some short term issues with too much cholrine - I was telling the story to some one and wasn't sure if drowning or near drowning was the right terminology and haven't been able to find a clear enough defination to determine.
NickFun

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 04:58 pm
@Linkat,
If a woman told me her husband had drowned then introduced him to me I'd know something was amiss. Near drowning would be more like it.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 04:59 pm
@NickFun,
All I remember is that near drowning is not a good thing, some portion of the time. No links.

Oh, but JPB gave a link.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 10:53 am
@JPB,
thanks - I'll be able to relay the story correctly.
0 Replies