Do your pets watch TV? What are their favorite shows?

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 08:53 pm
I used to have a DVD for cats, it had mice and other furry rodents running around and used to send any cat I knew looking behind the TV for where they might be running off to.

It showed me that with the right kind of programming (mainly featuring other animals instead of people) animals could dig TV and video.

My dog likes seeing animals (especially dogs) on TV. When he gets curious he'll start to watch it like this scene from that dog whisperer (or whatever he's called) show:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/7125/harrys.jpg

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:01 pm
sally dog likes animal planet, especially the animal sounds dante likes catnip.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:08 pm
I used to have (maybe still do) a documentary LP, narrated, I think, by Robert Redford, about the lives of wolves. I had an Alaskan Malamute, at the time, the Eskimo sled dog breed, which looks a lot like a wolf (and allegedly was bred by the Eskimos with wolves occasionally to keep them strong). First time she heard the record,the sound of wolf pups making puppy sounds in their den (don't know who it was, or how they did it, putting the microphone in the den), she sat and stared at the left speaker for a few seconds, then went nosing around it and behind it to try to find the pups, couldn't, and did the same with the right speaker. After a couple tries she gave up, maybe because there was no smell, and lay down and went to sleep. Until the record did a recorded wolf alarm call.She woke up, jumped to her feet, the hair on her back stood up, and she went running into the bedroom, and hid under the bed. She was born and bred in Massachusetts, and needless to say had never met or seen or heard a wolf in her life. but on some instinctive level, something must have been there.

Really cute picture of your dog, Robert.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:19 pm
#1 Dog Whisperer

#2 animal planet
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:37 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Phoebe (my clever Siamese) liked shows that tracked balls...(eg tennis, golf, football) she liked to sit on the TV and look down at them, and bat at them.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:42 pm
@Robert Gentel,
stinky used to like watching basketball for a while, then got bored of it.

he does not like seeing other cats on the computer screen.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:25 am
I got my (late, lamented) cat Mikey a video of a scene in a park. Birds and squirrels mostly. Sounds of chirping or a breeze rustling through leaves.

He watched peacefully (I thought) night after night. One night he ran head first into the TV set. He nearly knocked himself out--and nearly knocked over the TV.

That was the last time I let him watch that video.

Wonderful photo of your dog, Robert.
The Dog Whisperer had an episode about a shar pei who watched his show just a little too intensely. Cesar helped deintensify the situation.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 11:46 am
Winston, my cat, seems to know that what happens on TV is only make believe and will generally ignore it. He does, though, pay close attention to sounds made by cats on the TV.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 11:49 am
My cats don't watch TV, but if you put your cel phone on speaker mode - it drives them nuts. They run over to investigate, they hear a person but can't see or smell one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies