Dog having breating problems

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 08:47 pm
My dog sometimes hyperventilates. Typically when we come home he'll start snorting/hacking (sounds an awful lot like a cat with a hairball) and I've taken him to the vet about it in the past and they did an x-ray and didn't find anything.

But last night, I gave him a dog treat, and he vomited and then started with the chuffing, it lasted a few minutes and scared me enough to seek other opinions with local vets but if anyone here has any insight I'd appreciate it as my efforts so far haven't produced a diagnosis.

I will try to record it the next time it happens, but it sounds nasal and his chest heaves pretty hard. It usually lasts about 10 seconds and if we calm him down it usually goes away. Last night it was for much longer, it looked like he was trying to keep vomiting (for a bit I thought he was choking on something) and sounded like it might have gone into his nose a bit (his breathing sounded "wet" from his nostrils right after he puked).

View best answer, chosen by Robert Gentel
Reyn

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 08:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Just a shot in the dark, Robert, but could he be getting over-excited sometimes seeing you come home, to the point that it affects his breathing?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 08:59 pm
@Reyn,
Yeah, I must have explained it poorly. He's clearly being triggered in those cases by being excited at our arrival, but I am worried that he might have an underlying respiratory problem that is not being diagnosed and that the excitement is merely bringing out.

When he got his dog treat he may have been excited as well, but something else happened because before he could start eating it he puked and then started the heaves before settling down and gobbling up the treat.
Rockhead

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:08 pm
@Robert Gentel,
my gram's poodle did that for the last 10 or so years of it's life. (was kinda like asthma)

(she spent plenty and never solved it)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
He might have a Doggie cold (respiratory virus), or he might have Kennel Cough (which is just a specific type of Doggie cold virus).

If your first Vet can't figure it out, then I guess I would try another Vet. Make sure you don't pre-diagnose the condition before letting the vet think about it, sometimes that causes them to put blinders on when figuring out the problem. I would just take the dog to a good vet and say, "the dog does this, that and the other thing, and I'm worried about it, can you help". Then let the Vet figure out what it causing it.

parados

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 07:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
You didn't mention what kind of dog it was. Some breeds do have breathing issues.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
Does it sound/look like a reverse sneeeze?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:53 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:
He might have a Doggie cold (respiratory virus), or he might have Kennel Cough (which is just a specific type of Doggie cold virus).

But this has gone on for months, so I'm pretty sure it's not a cold.

Quote:
If your first Vet can't figure it out, then I guess I would try another Vet. Make sure you don't pre-diagnose the condition before letting the vet think about it, sometimes that causes them to put blinders on when figuring out the problem. I would just take the dog to a good vet and say, "the dog does this, that and the other thing, and I'm worried about it, can you help". Then let the Vet figure out what it causing it.

I have done this.

[/quote]
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:53 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
You didn't mention what kind of dog it was. Some breeds do have breathing issues.

He's a Maltese.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 10:54 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Does it sound/look like a reverse sneeeze?

No, it sounds like vomiting/snorting. Like "Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh" while he heaves.
ehBeth
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/reverse-sneezing-in-dogs/page1.aspx

nothing like these hacking examples? (just checking, we all describe things differently - your original post read like a description of classic reverse sneezing - which isn't sneezing at all)
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:06 am
@ehBeth,
I think that is exactly what it is, just doesn't sound like sneezing to me.

In this one the dog's ribcage bulges just like Harry does (feels like an alien is going to bust out!):

Thanks! Now I have something to go on.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:11 am
@ehBeth,
that's what gram's dog sounded like, with a poodle accent.

worried hell outta me for the first couple years, just kinda got used to it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:12 am
@Robert Gentel,
I like this link (but the video in the other link was helpful, I thought)

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ReverseSneezing.html

The only reason I know the term "reverse sneezing" is that Bailey happened to have an episode while he was on the vet's examining table one year. It certainly helped my nerves once I knew what was happening.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 11:22 am
BBB's dog, Dolly does that occassionally too. She has a very small nose and always sounds stuffed up and like she's having a hard time breathing. She also snores real loud when she's in a deep sleep. Like yours, sometimes when she gets overly excited she goes into what seems like an asthma attack as if she's struggling to get a breath. If I just lie down next to her and give her calming, full-body strokes and talk softly to her it calms her down and her breathing goes back to normal.

Both of BBB's dogs had what I call an allergic reaction to a new dry dog food I bought at a health food store. The very first bite of it had then both wheezing and coughing until they finally vomitted it out. They were fine after that. Tried it again a few days later and the same thing happened. We took the food away from them and replaced it with grocery store dog food and they were just fine.

So, there's two possibilities for you to investigate. Your dog may have a slight asthma problem that small breeds are known for; or he may be having an allergic reaction to his food. Try switching the food to something else and see if that stops the problem.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:04 pm
@ehBeth,
That's really interesting!!!!

Blimey, no wonder Robert was worried about the poor little fella.....looks as though the dog is in terrible distress.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 02:55 pm
@ehBeth,
Interesting. I never heard of reverse sneezing before. Thanks.

Good luck with your dog Robert.
0 Replies