Could this happen, or should it happen?

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:26 pm
While I dont listen to Limbaugh, and disagree with much of what he says, he does raise one interesting point in the following article.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/limbaugh_obama_third_term/2009/07/01/230937.html

Quote:
Rush Limbaugh is suggesting that President Barack Obama and his political operatives already are laying the groundwork for a third term.

“You have to wonder if Obama is just trying to lay a foundation for not being a hypocrite when he tries to serve beyond 2016,” Limbaugh told his national radio audience. “I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the next number of years there is a move on the 22nd Amendment.”

Limbaugh has a point.

Upon Obama's taking office, Rep. Jose Serrano, D-N.Y., introduced legislation in the House to repeal the 22nd Amendment to the Constitution, which limits presidents to two consecutive terms or 10 years in office. Serrano’s justification for the bill is that, until 1951, nothing prevented a president from serving more than two terms.

Additionally, a grass-roots movement is under way to make Obama's third term possible. A Web site, End22.com, is dedicated to abolishing the 22nd Amendment and is asking supporters for donations to make it happen.

To be honest, the rest of the article is pure crap, and not worth the read.

But, could it be possible to overturn the 22 amendment and allow Obama a third term?
Does anyone think it will happen?
SHOULD it happen?

http://www.end22.com/

rosborne979

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:34 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
“You have to wonder if Obama is just trying to lay a foundation for not being a hypocrite when he tries to serve beyond 2016,” Limbaugh told his national radio audience. “I wouldn't be at all surprised if in the next number of years there is a move on the 22nd Amendment.”

He knows his audience well; knows just how to push their buttons.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:38 pm
@rosborne979,
But there has been legislation in congress to repeal the 22 amendment, so someone is serious about the idea.
djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:38 pm
i'll be amazed if he wants a second term

i remember the same type of stuff being said about bush, suspending the election, using a provision in a homeland security bill, if there was a credible threat to national security (has there actually been one outside of 9/11, or are we supposed to just believe them when they tell us there were lots of them)

frankly i don't believe for a minute that bush would have wanted this term in office, i'm pretty sure obama was the only candidate that did (i firmly believe the conservatives through the election by choosing mc cain/palin to avoid having to deal with the economic crisis)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:40 pm
I don't think it will happen, and I don't want it to happen.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:42 pm
I dont care if Obama wants a third term or not.
Legislation has been introduced to repeal the 22 amendment, and I wonder if it should be.

And I wonder how the voters will react if it is repealed.
After all, if it was repealed, wouldnt it allow a President to serve for life (as long as he kept getting elected)?

I personally dont think a President should be allowed more then 2 terms.
djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 12:53 pm
@mysteryman,
interesting, if you believe in the power of the vote, what does it matter

if the majority want the leader perhaps they should have that power to say so

i'm guessing we might still have WJC as president if there were no term limits
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 01:16 pm
@mysteryman,
Fortunately, amending the Constitution is a long and difficult process.

I used to be against term limits on the grounds that it denyed us the right to vote for whomever we wanted. Given the power of an incumbent to influence election results, and I mean legally, I have changed my mind. Now, I think it should be extended to congress.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 04:12 pm
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/termlimits.asp

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 04:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you very much, butrflynet.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 04:38 pm
I am against term limits. I am pro ballot boxes.
djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 04:41 pm
@dyslexia,
agreed, to me democracy is electing the best person 50 times, if they live that long
dyslexia

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 04:45 pm
@djjd62,
you can't agree with me, I have you on ignore.
djjd62

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 04:46 pm
@dyslexia,
my bad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 05:03 pm
@dyslexia,
I agree, or think I do. CA has term limits, and a couple of friends in office are affected by it, although I haven't seen them lately to talk about it to get a take on their opinions. They may even be for term limits - both are now near term ends. Not that I base my opinion on theirs, just that I'd like to hear their takes. I can see a concern re long held office, with the nature of humans and corruption often baying at the heels of what plays as democracy and often winning, and if not that, encrusted modes of power. Still, I agree the ballot box is the muscle to use.
Foofie

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:12 pm
I believe that term limits functions as a sort of safety valve in behalf of the U.S., in relation to those domestic and foreign adversaries to the President and his/her administration. With term limits any adversary must weigh the benefit of confronting the administration presently, rather than wait out the eventual end of that administration (no more than eight years). Without term limits, a youngish President could make an adversary get impatient, and then do something confrontational.

0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 06:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
I dont understand your point.
Snopes agreed with the statement made that there is legislation to try and get the 22 amendment repealed, so I wasnt wrong (and neither was Limbaugh, this time).
I also said I dont care if Obama wants a third term or not.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 07:25 pm
@mysteryman,
Read the whole snopes article, MM.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:00 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

But there has been legislation in congress to repeal the 22 amendment, so someone is serious about the idea.

I think bills of this type are filed on a fairly routine basis. But they never go anywhere. I'm guessing that they are politically expedient for certain politicians at certain times (to make a show for their constituency), and they know they won't be approved, so it makes good sizzle without having to pay for the steak.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
I did read the whole article.
It was quite clear that politicians of both parties have submitted the legislation, and that it hasnt gone anywhere.

That doesnt make it any less apparent that it has been tried in the past, and it is being tried now.