Sarah Palin resigns as Governor of Alaska.

Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 09:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar: I'm with you 100%. I always hope for the best, but my expectations aren't at the same level. Sure is a mess that was inherited internationally and domesticly. Of course, this crackerjack Congress is up for the huge task, right?!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 10:03 pm
@Ragman,
I try not to observe them too closely. They make me very nervous.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 03:04 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

She scared YOU?

The possibility of her being elected veep with a physically frail president, scared the living beejesus out of me, and most of the civilised world, yes.

Her appalling ignorance of the world, of complexity in general, her simplistic and christian right slogan philosophy, the fact that even her Repub handlers knew her to be so naive and ignorant that they never allowed her actually to be exposed to proper media questioning (I don't mean the slime press, I mean proper examination and challenging of her views, knowledge and abilities) scared me, yes. The speeches (prepared though they were) ans her manner of delivering them in a person close to possible real power scared me, yes.

That the repub machine would put such a person up for election scared me, yes.

I know veeps hitorically are chosen to appeal to the parts of the electorate that the presidential candidate has trouble with and...except during the Cheney presidency...are not much taken seriously...but Palin and a frail oldish man, plus the US history of political assassinations, come on...you have to put up a candidate with some credibility.

And the people Palin has credibility with are kind of scary too.

farmerman

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 04:27 am
@dlowan,
Many times we, in the states, will purposely elect someone who can provide great richness of humor. Remember , in the great state of Minnesota, several years back, the people elected a professional restler who was a huge cartoon of "sen Foghorn". We had 4 years of so much humor that were still blowing our noses.
Sarah would have been a similar stunt. Im sorry that she wont be around to deliver her fractured syntax and her charming way of saying "you betcha".

AS far as scaring you AUstrians, we wouldnt let that happen, thered be too many humor outlets that could diffuse any negative effects that she could have.

Rest assured dear debster.
dlowan

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 05:12 am
@farmerman,
Actually, she was kind of like Agnew.

0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 06:52 am
What's happened is she looked around her and discovered that the Republicans making the most money, Newt, Rush, Pat Buchanan (Not necessarily in that order)aren't in office.

I see a big political action committee being formed with her as the head. Lots of Internet money "solicitationing" and other means to get cash flowing in her direction. Once out of office she can be on Fox Spews Sunday three weeks out of five, make six speeches a month at $50-175K each and build herself a base made mostly of the cotton-candy that passes for her big ideas.

I suggest she start a blog.

I have to say to, I'm disappointed, I had hoped she was leaving office in the more traditional Republican way, that of the sex scandal, but then I tried to imagine how that might happen and I was forced to jab a knitting needle into my brain to get the visions of that out of my head.

Joe(eeeewwwwwwhhhh)Nation
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:11 am
Why is it that no one seems to be considering the obvious thing...which has nothing to do with her politics and would be considered by any thinking individual if Sara Palin were the world largest bleeding heart liberal, a nazi neo con, a political moderate or just a girl off the street, and that is that her behavior is startling and erratic and perhaps this woman is coming unraveled and has genuine mental issues?

djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:23 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Why is it that no one seems to be considering the obvious thing.....and that is that her behavior is startling and erratic and perhaps this woman is coming unraveled and has genuine mental issues?

hey, where'd this elephant come from Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:53 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Even the Repubs aren't stupid enough to put Palin as the nominee after trying their luck with senile McCain.

don't be too sure Very Happy
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:54 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

At this point in ife, I could not bear to vote Republican. But, I am not that thrilled with the Democrats. Something's got to give.

yup yup yup
ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 09:59 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
edgarblythe wrote:

At this point in ife, I could not bear to vote Republican. But, I am not that thrilled with the Democrats. Something's got to give.

yup yup yup

I wish Democrats would stop whining. We won, we have a very intelligent Democratic president with lots of political capital and we occupy the center of American political thought.

I don't know what more would make you guys happy-- but personally I think you are being rather unrealistic.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:03 am
@ebrown p,
I don't believe wanting something more substantive than mere winning constitutes "whining."
ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:14 am
@edgarblythe,
You are getting something more substantive than just winning.

We have already got Lilly Ledbetter, a saner foreign policy, increased spending on infrastructure and tuition credits (and let's not forget the aqueduct.) We are now getting the best shot at health care we have had in decades.

OK... you are not getting everything you want.

Stop whining.

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:16 am
@ebrown p,
Calling people whiners is not conducive to to a continuing dialog. It is apparently meant to silence those with whom you disagree.
ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Calling people whiners is not conducive to to a continuing dialog. It is apparently meant to silence those with whom you disagree.

Exactly.

I thought that "Stop Whining" would be clear enough.

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:52 am
@ebrown p,
personally, i'm a whiner.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 10:59 am
@ebrown p,
It just means I will ignore you on this topic and continue to express my opinions.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 11:06 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe is usually so clear. This time, I can't tell if he's just being kind to her, or what.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 11:07 am
@dyslexia,
Personally. I prefer winning.

Obama is 100 times better than McCain would be on tons of issues-- McCain would have been a disaster for foreign policy and civil liberties and the economy (and whatever you think of Obama on any of these issues, just imagine what a McCain/Palin administration would have done).

Right now it is the Republicans time to tear themselves apart-- accusing each other of being RINOs or Extremists or disloyal or weak. This has the effect of moving the center of the party into crazy land (i.e. unelectable) which in my humble opinion is a great place for them to be.

I want a strong Democratic party which can move forward on a progressive agenda slowly, deliberately and intelligently in a way that understands you need to carefully move the center along with you... because the center is where the battles are won. This is what the Obama administration brings to the table.

Politics is about reality. I don't know what you all would do were you in power-- but I doubt you would do much better than our current administration or Congressional leadership.

You certainly won't do any better by whining.
JPB

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 11:12 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

yes , I agree. The ultimate health of our 2-party system and our country is at stake...

I certainly hope so! The 2-party system has been dysfunctional for decades. May it's demise come quickly!