i'm a married man and i'm in love with my ex what do i do

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 01:25 pm
i'm a married man i've been married with my wife for 5 years and i've know her since high school. I"m only 26 and we got married young. We have a 2 year old son together and we bought a house together. Here is my dilemma. Just recently i crossed paths with my ex girlfriend and i found out that we both still have feelings for each other. I knew my ex way before i met my wife and when me and my ex dated we where both young like 16 and 17. We talked on the phone every now and then but we didn't really get to hang out or see each other. We dated for a couple months and i was under the impression that r relationship wasn't really that serious so when i met my wife i decided to break up with my ex and be with my wife. Even though we broke up we didn't end on bad terms and we where still cool. The problem is the reason why we broke up was because i felt like r relationship never had a change to mature but i think if i had of given it a chance it might have really turned into something . She even explained to me later why she was so distant with me when we dated cause she said she was goning thru somethings. She even said that when she found out that i got married she couldn't help but to cry cause she felt like i was suppose to be her husband. and even though she is happy for us she says when she see us together it's torture. well my wife knows that i broke up with my ex's for her and she even knows who the girl is. Me and my ex remained friends and when we met up a couple of years later the feelings started coming back. We meet up a couple of times secretly and then eventually i ended up having in affair. Now my ex feels bad because she didn't want to take it that far and she doesn't want we to leave my wife she actually wants u to work on r marriage. I'm at a point though where i dont think i want to do this anymore. When i'm with my ex i'm so happy but when i'm without her i'm miserable. My wife knows something is bothering me but i can't bear to tell her the truth. I don't want to hurt anybody but i feel like i am hurting her by not telling her the truth. Then if i do tell her the truth since she knows the girl it is gonna b like a slap in the face then on top of that her mom and my mom know each other and when it gets back to them there gonna look at her like she is a homewrecker and look at me like i'm wrong for leaving my wife. I am so confused i don't know what to do. Do i stay in my marriage and be miserable or do i tell my wife the truth and have to deal with a divorce and hope that my ex can deal with me leaving my wife for her. Cause if i take that chance i could end up being alone all together.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 19,158 • Replies: 28
No top replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 02:21 pm
@playstate09,
There's a few things in here you've left out.

Do you love your wife? Are you in love with your wife? What sort of hours does your wife do? (including employment, cooking, cleaning, looking after the child etc)? What sort of hours do you do (same criteria)? Do you and your wife take time out to develop your relationship? When was the last time you took time, thought, and effort to seduce her? What are your finances like? How do you & she handle conflict? Are there any other things that make the marriage difficult or hard (in-laws, stresses etc)?

Basically, you're asking for advice, without saying what your marriage is like / where it's at. You say you're miserable in the marriage, but not the cause of the misery (causes for unhappiness are often treatable).

You may find that you're happy when you're with your ex simply because there are none of the stressors that exist in the marriage...many of those stressors develop during marriage, and not during the 'courtship' phase.

ie. your affair may only be better because it's short term - that parts almost impossible to tell just from information you can provide (because it will invariably be incomplete)...but a comparison isn't (if you provide info as per above)
glitterbag

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:44 pm
I still get phone calls every few years from an old boyfriend of mine from my late teens early twenties. You might be experiencing what he is experiencing, an exagerated idea of what that moldy old relationship was really like. It's been decades and when he calls, it always ends with him proclaiming his "love" for me and me telling him things that graduate from really, why?, enought is enough already, leave me alone to finally "go f yourself". It's been decades and his wife hasn't been alive as long as we have been broken up. You may be just burdened with responsibilities, re-inventing your high school days...I don't know. But the ex should not be encouraging a married man, and maybe she just wants to feel she is more desirable than your wife. Kind of the gal you can never get over. You should probably talk to a counselor for some advice before you damage your marriage and five years from now start to wonder why you didn't stay with that wonderful girl you married.

But bottom line is, if it is not working do your wife a favor and end it. Just remember that it is unwise to leave because you think you discovered your true soul mate, once the dust settles, you often discover she/he is not the wonderful person you imagined or hoped for. Good luck.
0 Replies

playstate09

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:50 pm
@vikorr,
well yea i love my wife but i feel like the love is dying. My wife works a normal 8am to 4pm job monday thru friday, and i work sunday thru thursday from 7 am to 330pm but someday i can work later. On monday, wednesday, thursday, and saturday my wife is in church so most of the time i'm at home with my son. Then by the time she does come home i'm tired or she is on the phone with somebody. I can't really tell her that i don't want her going to church because i know that she likes it and i don't wanna go because i don't like it. Her church schedule has been going on ever since i was married and i would usually pass the time by playing video games, watching tv, etc, etc. but now it's gotten to the point where i'm tried of being lonely and i need someone to talk to. I try to talk to my wife when she is here but i don't really have a lot to talk about and then she get mad cause i don't communicate with her but if i don't have anything to say then i'm not gonna talk. Then she says that i don't spend any time with her and she doesn't consider us being in the same room as spending time. We have been living from paycheck to paycheck since we have been married. When i comes to conflict she says i show no emotions and she gets upset when i'm like that but i'm the type of person that is lay back and i don't get upset over certain things. The biggest issues in r marriage r communication, the fact that i don't tell her how i feel, and that i don't show her any affection. I've been trying to change my way for the past five years but i keep going back to my old self.
sullyfish6

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:53 pm
Can you two get to counseling? She is hiding in church activities just as you have hidden yourself in an affair. You need to be honest with her. sit down and just say, "Something is wrong with our marriage. Would you go to counseling with me to help save our marriage?"

Of course, I am assuming that you do want to save this marriage. Are you?
vikorr

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 02:20 am
@playstate09,
Quote:
well yea i love my wife but i feel like the love is dying.
If it’s not growing, it’s dying...that goes for both the relationship, and love.

Think about what that means.

Quote:
My wife works a normal 8am to 4pm job monday thru friday, and i work sunday thru thursday from 7 am to 330pm but someday i can work later. On monday, wednesday, thursday, and saturday my wife is in church so most of the time i'm at home with my son. Then by the time she does come home i'm tired or she is on the phone with somebody.
That really does sound like an excessive church schedule, and it’s contributing to your marriage going downhill...either she doesn’t realise the amount of time she spends in church is contributing to you marriage dying, or as sully said, she may be hiding behind her schedule. It could be both.
Quote:
I try to talk to my wife when she is here but i don't really have a lot to talk about and then she get mad cause i don't communicate with her but if i don't have anything to say then i'm not gonna talk. Then she says that i don't spend any time with her and she doesn't consider us being in the same room as spending time.
Communication skills can be learnt. It may be that you both need to spend time learning to communicate (there’s only ever 3 things you do when communicating : Listen, Ask Questions, and Tell stories " everything you say tells a story btw. )
Quote:
We have been living from paycheck to paycheck since we have been married.

If you haven’t got a budget then this will probably add to your problems and unhappiness. Budgets are tough to live by when money is tight, but if you do, they do save a lot of arguments / conflict.
Quote:
When i comes to conflict she says i show no emotions and she gets upset when i'm like that but i'm the type of person that is lay back and i don't get upset over certain things.
At a guess, you may find you are laid back because you prefer to avoid conflict (either you don’t see the need for it, you don’t like it, or you want everyone to be happy). I used to be like this (well, I’m still laid back, but I’m always aware of when . It’s actually unhealthy because, naturally, you won’t always agree with the other person. And naturally, sometimes something the other person does will upset you (whether or not you know it), or sometimes they will invade your world (your unique perception of what your life entails)...and you will need to let them know they can’t do that. It’s honesty that leads to people engaging in conflict - and self deception that leads to us doing it badly.
Quote:
The biggest issues in r marriage r communication, the fact that i don't tell her how i feel, and that i don't show her any affection.
Reminds me a lot of how I used to be. The lack of affection was the flip side of the lack of conflict coin.
Quote:
I've been trying to change my way for the past five years but i keep going back to my old self.
Don’t change " grow. Find out what your weaknesses and strengths are, and build them up. Find out who you are, and train yourself to a higher standard. Find out what your unique skill is and make it even better. Teach yourself things you aren’t comfortable with, and make a written goal (if your hearts not in this it won’t work half so well) of what you are going to achieve each day.

And while you are going about growing, remember to always be true to yourself. Changes done for the self are permanent. Changes done for others rarely are (unless we find that we enjoy them, in which case they become done for ourselves)

There are other ways to achieve growth " Self Hypnosis, Neuro Linguistic Programming, Creative Visualisation, Meditation, exercise, practice, breathing exercises, counselling, studying.
0 Replies

JustLeSha

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 01:47 pm
@sullyfish6,
sullyfish6 wrote:

Can you two get to counseling? She is hiding in church activities just as you have hidden yourself in an affair. You need to be honest with her. sit down and just say, "Something is wrong with our marriage. Would you go to counseling with me to help save our marriage?"

ok sullyfish, i think the problem isnt necessarily to be dealt with by counseling, but moreso with talking.

what he needs to do in the first place is tell his wife that she spends too much time at church, and it makes him feel lonely, which is exactly why he started to see his ex more often, and they have devoloped a deep relationship which is a contributing factor to their marriage failing.

i think both parties in this relationship need to realize that this marriage is failing because they just arent working it out

another problem with this "relationship" he has with his ex is that he's just being selfish. not only is he not thinking about the importance of his wife's feelings, but he is also not considering that this "homewrecker" will affect his child's future

speaking as a divorced kid, i can say that if the ex were to take the father from the kid, then it wont be too happy, and it will mostly blame itself, and probably become emo (theres NOTHING wrong with being emo, i am) and the only problem with that is that it might fall for the commonly over used stereotype, and cut itself (that i dont do)

does he WANT to kill his child? does he want to make his wife feel useless? im sure he doesnt, so he should see who is more important in his life...his wife...or his ex...
Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 02:08 pm
@JustLeSha,
Out of curiosity, with you being self-admittedly at the tender age of 13, how are you qualified to comment and offer advice on romantic relationship and marriage? Perhaps it'd better to learn here rather than offer advice?
vikorr

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 03:02 pm
@Ragman,
Hi Ragman,

Some of the things JustLeSha have said are valid. Some she still has to learn to express as specific possibilities, without making overly dramatic generalisations. But if learning from the people here is what you want her to do, you unfortunately just set a bad example (the tone comes across as dismissive / condescending).

It's easy enough to do Smile
Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 03:05 pm
@vikorr,
I can't help it and offer no apology. I feel that a 13-yr-old offering romantic advice to adults is something that should be dismissed. Just one man's opinion.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 03:39 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:

I can't help it and offer no apology. I feel that a 13-yr-old offering romantic advice to adults is something that should be dismissed

normally I would agree with you, but here she prefaced her remarks as being from the view-point of a child who is a product of divorce. Because I believe that the interests and feelings of the children are relevant in divorce I also believe that they are relevant in this thread, since the possibility of divorce with child has been brought up by the OP.
0 Replies

JustLeSha

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:23 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

Out of curiosity, with you being self-admittedly at the tender age of 13, how are you qualified to comment and offer advice on romantic relationship and marriage? Perhaps it'd better to learn here rather than offer advice?

i know that i admitted my age, im qualified to comment/offer romantic advice because ragman, wisdom doesnt come with age, it comes with knowledge, and i dont get my knowledge from tv or romantic novels, i pay attention with logical solutions to everyday problems, and i am learning from here whilst i try to offer my opinion, because that is all that advice is
0 Replies

JustLeSha

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 08:25 pm
@Ragman,
i believe that you criticizing my advice based upon my age is biased, cruel, and very unexceptable. i think THAT should be something to be dismissed. Just one teen's opinion.
Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 09:30 pm
@JustLeSha,
you must mean unacceptable
Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 09:32 pm
@JustLeSha,
you must mean unacceptable
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 09:32 pm
@JustLeSha,
Correct, I'm biased. My bias is not a bad thing. Anyone's opinion is a bias. In my case, the bias is based on experience as I've found that most 13-yr-olds haven't gained the life experience to offer an adult advice on romance and marriage. However, if you do offer advice on what emo is then you're in your correct area of expertise.
vikorr

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 12:37 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
I can't help it and offer no apology. I feel that a 13-yr-old offering romantic advice to adults is something that should be dismissed. Just one man's opinion.

That's self deception at work - "I think A, therefore I can treat you like B (with the implication that B is justified because of A)". We can choose what we listen to, just as we can choose how we treat others. We can choose whether to frame our disagreements with warmth, or (in this case) dismissal / condescension.

Sometimes a child speaks wisdom (as a generalisation), and sometimes an adult acts the child (as a generalisation).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 01:38 am
It had not occurred to me before that our young poster is not young, but I do wonder now, with the added responses.

I dunno. May the bird of paradise nest in your pony tails.
But, I'm figuring an older person.
JustLeSha

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:54 am
@ossobuco,
thank you

if SOME ONE hadnt stalked me (as you have to look on my responses and posts to find out such information) then no one would have found out my age, and possibly (quite possibly) my advice could/would have been accepted, yet i was sabotaged, and therefore my advice wont be considered valid (although it was quite reasonable) because of my age

its not right for you to cancel out my advice altogether (or however you spell that, i forgot because its summer) just because of my age, thats very much dismissing, and i dont appreciate it at all
JustLeSha

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:54 am
@Ragman,
yes i mean unacceptable
0 Replies