BERNIE MADOFF GETS 150 YEARS-DOW UP

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:14 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
On the square are some great kielbasi and beer joints, and, it being sumer, there will no doubt be pickup jazz baqnds and the summer jazz festivals going on. Pittsburgh, if youd been there yeqars ago, has changed so much for the better that its no longer a dull drab downtown. Course I really dont think they need a "Pickle Museum".

Pittsburgh, being fairly blue collar, doesnt celebrate its diverse cuisines. There are lots of FAr East restaurants and , of course German and Italian , but not one comes to mind except a German Restaurant near Cannonsburg. This had all kinds of schnitzels and most excellent scpaetzle. (Vienner, Prager, Indie, and several others) . The restaurant was very similar to SCHADEs in Fredericktown NB, but slightly different only in their table service.
Id check the phonebook and get thee up to Cannonsburg (That is the hometown of an old time singer ,Perry Coma)
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 01:22 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

On the square are some great kielbasi and beer joints, and, it being sumer, there will no doubt be pickup jazz baqnds and the summer jazz festivals going on. Pittsburgh, if youd been there yeqars ago, has changed so much for the better that its no longer a dull drab downtown. Course I really dont think they need a "Pickle Museum".

Pittsburgh, being fairly blue collar, doesnt celebrate its diverse cuisines. There are lots of FAr East restaurants and , of course German and Italian , but not one comes to mind except a German Restaurant near Cannonsburg. This had all kinds of schnitzels and most excellent scpaetzle. (Vienner, Prager, Indie, and several others) . The restaurant was very similar to SCHADEs in Fredericktown NB, but slightly different only in their table service.
Id check the phonebook and get thee up to Cannonsburg (That is the hometown of an old time singer ,Perry Coma)

I was very fond of Perry Como; smooth.
I 'm glad u mentioned Italian; love it.
The German sounds interesting; Vienner too.
This will be my first trip to Pittsburgh.

David
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 04:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
but I do wonder about the justice of a 150 year sentence in light of sentencing for other crimes.
Hes not the longest sentence in that category. In 2005, SHALOM WEISS, (also 71) was given a sentence of 845 years for a 400million Ponzi scheme in NY state. I guess Shalom's name is appropriate. He can get out by 2745 with good behavior (and I imagine that from about year 30 to the end of his sentence he will be on very good behavior)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 04:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
What mde your club ever choose Pittsburgh. NOT that its not a great choice, but you have to be selective as far as activities. Im an easy one to keep entertained, but world class restaurants really arent something that would make me choose the "Pit" . (Unless of course you are seeking some of the greatest kielbasis and cavanoszi or krakowska sausages) .

Nobody has ever penned a paean re the great beers or wines of Pittsburgh as far as I know. There was a big deal about whiskey a few years back but that was pretty much crushed.

Quote:
I was very fond of Perry Como; smooth

I think my dad coined the name "Perry Coma". My mom used to collect PC records and play them on their 33.3 RPM "stereo"
ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 04:38 pm
@farmerman,
The first three parts of the Vanity Fair series on Madoff have been fascinating. I understand there may be more - people keep calling the author with more info.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 04:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's when I am joyfully heading to Idlewild Airport

sometimes your posts read like the transcript of very old episodes of the Ed Sullivan show. Idlewild. Seriously. How 1962 of you.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:44 pm
@ehBeth,
If you live in Manhattan Idlewild is THE place from which all taking offs should be acomplished.

Iread the Madoff article that set posted from VF. All I can say is that"all scfams are a crafty combination of the point picking out his mark and the mark not wanting to appear stupid, lkets the whole thing happen to him.

I liked the lines about how Bernie picked smart people who, as part of their MO have visible egos and dont want to appear stupid.

I cannot believe that ANdy and MArk and Sarah and Ruths werent involved. I can understand the turning evidence, but I think the sons and daughter and wifey need to fess up also.

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I cannot believe that ANdy and MArk and Sarah and Ruths werent involved. I can understand the turning evidence, but I think the sons and daughter and wifey need to fess up also.

when you read how bernie thought that his kids were weak, and how the firm operated with the legit side totally insulated from the fraud side of the firm you can see how the kids might never had known, right? Ruth on the other hand had to know, she was the only one who Bernie fully trusted, and she knew everything else about the business and where their personal money was.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 12:46 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
What mde your club ever choose Pittsburgh.

Last year was my 30th in Mensa.
During that time, I believe that we have never had the Annual Gathering there,
tho the local citizens may very well have had many local "Regional Gatherings" there.
The way that it actually works is that the chartered local groups
of cities across the nation put in bids for the national convention.
This is good for the local treasury. Those whose applications are accepted
by American Mensa are granted the nation-wide convention for a designated year.
Obviously, more FUN cities will draw more attenders, e.g. in recent years
we 've had it in Las Vegas ( I LOVE that city ), Orlando, Phoenix,
we barely got out of New Orleans ( I LOVE that city too -- its extraordinary;
I have never been treated so well in any city as New Orleans ) slightly b4 Katrina.
In 1980, I was the treasurer for the NY convention. We had a good time; we usually do.
Teachers r disproportionately well represented in Mensa, with the result that we have
the Annual Gathering in summer each year. I 'm skeptical of the wisdom of that.

Anyway, American Mensa must have liked the proposal offered by the Pittsburgh group
and knew that we 've not been there for a while -- or ever.

farmerman wrote:
Quote:

NOT that its not a great choice, but you have to be selective as far as activities.
Im an easy one to keep entertained, but world class restaurants really arent something
that would make me choose the "Pit" . (Unless of course you are seeking some of
the greatest kielbasis and cavanoszi or krakowska sausages).

On the strength of your recommendation,
I 'll mention it to my friends. Our M.O. has been to scout out
the most attractive restaurants in the city that we attend.
I am the leader (founder) of NY 's elite dining special interest group,
the Opulent Mensan SIG and my friend Marty is the leader n founder
of the economy-minded dining SIG. (Some Mensans r stingy.)
Marty usually has a Zagat of the city in question
and ferrets out the most intriguing restaurants.
Our convention is in the Hotel Omni William Penn.
Any idea if the sausage restaurants r close to that ?

Anyhow, for me, in addition to meeting old friends again,
the most interesting part of the conventions is the speakers.
We have a lot of speakers, sometimes on designated tracks.
Those tracks can be very useful; e.g., for many years, my work included litigation,
including case settlement. Most cases r settled before judgment is rendered
and even b4 the case is given to a jury.
Some of the techniques suggested by expert speakers on alternative
dispute resolution were creatively brilliant -- like to take your breath away,
for reaching voluntary settlements. This is a matter of great importance to the litigants--
sometimes thay build their lives around their litigation. I remember once, after a settlement,
a woman (plaintiff) tearfully asked me for permission to take the paper door sign bearing the name
of her case that was finally resolved. I felt honored to be asked and to have been of help.
I used to tell them that "u shoud keep the decision-making process in your own hands
by working out a voluntary settlement, rather than throwing the dice and hoping that
the court will see things your way."

Anyway, the convention speakers were keenly helpful in supporting career purposes.

farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Nobody has ever penned a paean re the great beers or wines of Pittsburgh as far as I know.
There was a big deal about whiskey a few years back but that was pretty much crushed.

I 'm not much of a beer person. In my childhood, I used to have to drink beer
and I never favored it much. My own taste runs to Armagnac.

David wrote:
Quote:
I was very fond of Perry Como; smooth

farmerman wrote:
Quote:
I think my dad coined the name "Perry Coma".
My mom used to collect PC records and play them on their 33.3 RPM "stereo"

He was an ez going guy; a mello fellow.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 01:00 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
That 's when I am joyfully heading to Idlewild Airport

sometimes your posts read like the transcript of very old episodes
of the Ed Sullivan show. Idlewild. Seriously. How 1962 of you.
Well, I the kind of guy that when I get used to a name,
it stays with me. I had a girlfriend who wanted to informally
change her name from Joan to "Luba". I kept forgetting about the change.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2009 01:02 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If you live in Manhattan Idlewild is
THE place from which all taking offs should be acomplished.

I use both Idlewild and LaGuardia
0 Replies