Racial classifications, should they be eliminated?

RicardoTizon

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:15 pm
I believe another good reason to eliminate race classification is that it is very hard for people with mixed ancestry. If your father is Causasian and your mother is Black does this makes you gray. What about the Chinese which is Yellow mixed with a Filipino Brown. Does this make your race **** color?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:31 pm
Italgato
Didn't you know racism and discrimination is allowable as long as you are not a minority.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:40 pm
Well, shouldn't we all feel guilty about the ongoing oppression of white anglo saxon males in the upper income brackets? I think its just shocking how they are so evilly discriminated against! Rolling Eyes
Those darned minorities...how dare they enter universities instead of doing lawn work and becoming stevedores and going to jail like they are supposed to. Why, next they will try and tell us Jesus wasn't blonde and blue eyed! Mad
Its like old Rush said: Slaves were happy and well cared for, they weren't unhappy until after they ahd been freed. Let's hear it for the far right who are willing to put everyone who isn't white in their place! After all, servitude is good for those who just can't mwasure up racially! Everone who isn't white is a savage!
Yeah...right! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:01 pm
Hobitbob

The typical minority song. Equality comes at a price and that price is competing as equals. However, you put the entire question in perspective. How can you get preferential treatment without the check off boxes.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:07 pm
Au, I was being sarcastic. Hmmmmm...perhaps there needs to be afirmative action for the humour impaired? Confused
BTW, as an Arab, I am in your club....I'm Caucasian!! Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:11 pm
obitbob.

I am aware of that but if I am not mistaken you are also a liberal.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:13 pm
Indeed, I admit to being superior! Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
Question
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:16 pm
Wink
0 Replies

RicardoTizon

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:21 pm
Something to irked your superiority.

In the U.S. the average family income of a Filipino Family exceeds the average family income of a Caucasian family.

Deal with that!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:24 pm
Ahhh...the famous appeal to money! Don't really care about money. And AU and I give each other stuff back and forth all the time. Smile
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 11:51 pm
The only race afflected by Sickle Cell Anemia are the Blacks!

1. Is this valuable information to have ?

2. How do you figure they know it only affects Blacks ?

This has nothing to do with racial discrimination ... It has to do with genetic differences, some of which are defined by race.

I've never seen White Paranoia at such a fever pitch. Very sad folks ... lamentable!

Anon
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 12:31 am
Blacks are mostly affected, although it is also occurs in people of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and East Indian origin. I wonder how long it will take before they identify the genes responsible for sickle cell anemia within that gene pool.

Interestingly, "Sickle cell disease is much more common in certain ethnic groups, affecting approximately one out of every 500 African Americans. Because people with sickle trait were more likely to survive malaria outbreaks in Africa than those with normal hemoglobin, it is believed that this genetically aberrant hemoglobin evolved as a protection against malaria." Adam S. Levy, M.D., Department of Pediatrics, NYU Medical Center, New York, NY. Review provided by VeriMed Healthcare Network. (from
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000527.htm )

Also quite relevant to both this thread and the topic of sickle cell anemia:

Many Sickle Cell Kids Don't Get Antibiotics
Researchers Blame Prescription Restrictions For Trend

POSTED: 10:28 a.m. EDT August 27, 2003

CHICAGO -- A study says many children with sickle cell disease are not getting antibiotics to prevent life-threatening infections.

It has long been recommended that children with sickle cell anemia take antibiotics every day for the first five years of life. But University of Washington researchers found that children with sickle cell disease average only enough antibiotic prescriptions for about five months of the year. Ten percent received no antibiotics all, even though their disease leaves them vulnerable to infection.

The study, published in Wednesday's issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, was based on Medicaid data for 261 children in Tennessee and Washington, but the researchers said the data probably apply nationally.

"This is a very real problem. Taking antibiotics is very important for these children; taking antibiotics protects them from catching bad infections," said lead researcher Dr. Colin Sox, a pediatrician at the University of Washington.

Insurance covered most of the prescription costs, so the researchers do not understand why the children were undermedicated.

"One possibility is that doctors are not writing the prescriptions. Another possibility is that doctors are writing the prescriptions, but the families are not filling them," Sox said. "Probably both factors contribute to what we found."

Among the complicating factors is that in both states, you can only pick up enough antibiotics to cover about 30 days at a time. Providing enough medication to protect a child from infections for a year requires repeated requests for refills and visits to a pharmacy.

"Many insurance groups, including Medicaid, place limits on the length of prescriptions. While this makes sense for some medication, it may not be best for medication that is needed for everyday use to prevent infections," Sox said.

Sickle cell disease, also called sickle cell anemia, primarily affects people of African descent, but also occurs in some people of Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and East Indian origin. The disease is caused by abnormalities of the genes of hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying protein in red blood cells. Among blacks, one newborn in 375 develops the disease.

http://www.theksbwchannel.com/health/2436655/detail.html
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 01:35 am
Yes, Hobitbob- How dare they enter Universities?

I think you know that race has little to do with intelligence. I think you know that Culture has a great deal to do with intelligence.

Yes, Hobitbob, how dare some African-Americans who believe that "studying is a white thing" be allowed into Universities.

Because of the culture among African Americans, their scholastic achivements are very poor.

Hobibit might know that the average African-American scores on the average 15 points lower than the average Caucasian on IQ tests. Hobibit might know that not too many years ago- 1994, only 493 African Americans scored above 700 on the Math section of the SAT and only 148 African-Americans scored that high on the verbal section.

On the other hand, 11,000 Asians exceeded 700 on the math section and 1,800 did so on the verbal section.

80,000 Asians took the test. More than 100,000 African-Americans took the test.

Hobitbob probably doesn't think that the non African-American students are aware of the non-accomplishments of most of the African-American students.

Well, an anecdote may help.

When I attended a Yale graduation a few years ago, there were nearly 80 students who received Phi Beta Kappa awards.

None of them were African-American although at least 12 % of the class was African-American.

When I mentioned this to one of the students, he said- You really didn't expect any to do superior work, did you?

When African Americans decide they will adopt the Culture of the Asians who place Educational Achievement in first place above all, perhaps there will be more of them who make Phi Beta Kappa.

Until then, they will be tolerated by others in the University because of the strictures of Political Correctness but the bulk of the students know that many of the African-Americans make their way mainly by using the Jesse Jackson method- The race card.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 01:38 am
I don't think Hobibit should feel bad because he is an Arab. Some of my best friends are Arabs.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 02:01 am
Italgato

It's not by Posner, but really a very interesting book, said to be 'outstanding' by all reviews and critics:
Bruce Dain: A Hideous Monster of the Mind: American Race Theory in the Early Republic, Cambridge and London, 2002.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 02:20 am
Mr. Hinteler- I know of Dain's book. I have not read it but looked through it.

My comments on Dain:

l. He is a Caucasian.

2. He is an Assistant Professor of History

3. He is working at the University of Utah

I know something about books on Race.

Dain's book is no where near the leading books on the subject.

I will now give you a list of books that are about Race, at least in part, which I have read.

l. The astounding, highly rated book- Race and Culture by the renown scholar- Thomas Sowell.

Sowell is not only a renown scholar but is also African American

2. The End of Racism by Dinesh D' Sousa. D' Sousa is an East Indian who has written many books and is considered one of coservatism's rising young stars.

3. The Bell Curve- by Herrnstein and Murray- A highly controversial book which caused a firestorm of comment when it was published. Unfortunately, critics focused on one chapter only. Although one can reasonably argue with some of the conclusions, no one can argue with the hard data given from reputable studies- e.g. the fact that Afro-Americans in the United States score a full 15 points on average below Caucasians.

I hope that this has been helpful, Mr. Hinteler.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 02:24 am
Italgato wrote:
I know something about books on Race.

Dain's book is no where near the leading books on the subject.
[...]

I hope that this has been helpful, Mr. Hinteler.

Thank you, Italgato!

I knew, you were better than all the other historians!
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 02:42 am
Mr. Hinteler: Please don't be petty. You know what I wrote. I am not a Historian although I have a Master's Degree in the subject. I do read History and I defy you to show that the books I noted, Sowell's. D'Sousa's and Herrnstein/Murray's are at the same level as Dain's book.

I do not think you know a great deal about books on Race if you do not instantly recognize the books I listed.

Do some reading in those books, sir, It will help you get a grip on events in the racial area.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 02:56 am
To save you time, Mr. Hinteler. You should be aware that Dain speaks of race theory in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. He covers none of the recent events covered by "The Bell Curve"; The End of Racism" and
Race and Culture"

Why don't you try to read one of these. Mr. Hinteler. You would broaden your background I am sure.
0 Replies