BREADMAKERS! Bring me your recipes

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:45 pm
@realjohnboy,
I don't remove the dough from the machine, I just let it go completely through the cycle once until it finishes the first rise. Then I shut it off and restart the mixing/kneading/rising cycle again so it completes the whole cycle a second time before finally baking. It gives the dough an extra two hours to develop good flavor and texture.

This is how I would rewrite the instructions for your Breadman to accomplish this:

Quote:
"After the end of the 1st rise, restart the machine and allow dough to go through the mixing, kneading and a second rise before you remove the dough, shape, let rise a third time and bake in a conventional oven."
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 07:55 pm
Thanks!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
Another option, if your not in a hurry, is to take the dough out of the machine after the first rise and put it in the fridge. Overnight or longer will develop the flavor of the bread.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:02 pm
I am at the moment trying in my breadman machine a packaged bread mix called "hawaiian royal sweet" let you know how it is in about 3 hours
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:16 pm
@dyslexia,

Here are a couple of the better recipes for it if you want to try it from scratch sometime:

http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2006/02/cooking-school-hawaiian-sweet-bread.html

http://www.hawaii.edu/recipes/breads/portuguese.html

My ex-husband (native Hawaiian), an excellent cook and baker, made this bread often and used pineapple juice instead of the milk. I like the texture of the bread made with milk, but the pineapple juice gives it a much better flavor.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 Aug, 2009 12:28 pm
I quit making bread from scratch 30 years ago, hell, even my grandfather quit using the hand-crank to start the car after ford came out with the electric starter.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 12:25 pm
@dyslexia,
How did the Hawaiian bread turn out?
dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 01:03 pm
@realjohnboy,
it was ok, not great, too sorta sweet for my taste.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 12:44 pm
I did french bread on Sunday. I thought my 1st attempt turned out good. Not a home run but not of door stop quality. I followed the advice here and used the kneading and rising cycle on the bread machine twice and then the refrigerating over night before cooking in the oven. Mention was made I think about baking over water. My Joy of Cooking had that idea also. I failed to baste the top as much as I should have so it got a bit dry there.
panzade

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 02:28 pm
@realjohnboy,
thanks for the report...gonna bake some this week
farmerman

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 04:26 pm
@panzade,
I spent some quality time at yard sales in Pa andin New ENgland this summer. I was shocked and surprised at the number of bread machines were on sale for 10 bucks or less. Most all of these were in boxes with all sorts of instruction manuals etc. Im not in the market but it seems to me that if you had some decent recipes, you could makie a business out of selling artisan bread machine breads. No?
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:03 pm
@farmerman,
Yep. Rent some space at a Farmer's Market and sell them there.

I think it might be a lot easier to just make big batches of dough using the old fashioned Kitchen Aid and dough hook though. The yard sale bread machines would be enough to get you started so you can make some seed money for the bigger production mixers.

There is a small sourdough company in the Sacramento area that is doing that. They make a sourdough bread with hordes of garlic, garlic juice and aged cheddar cheese. They shape it into freeform loaves, rolls, and the usual square sandwich bread loaves. Every Sunday they were at the local Farmer's Market selling the bread for $7.00 a loaf and it always sold out. They also made a fresh rosemary and olive sourdough that wasn't as good as the garlic and cheese one but was much better than what you can get in the stores. Once in awhile they made a sweet blueberry breakfast bread using the sourdough base. That was also very good.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Oct, 2009 08:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
There's a terrific bread company in humboldt county called Brio - I miss it. I might have liked the bread even better than the idyllic La Brea Bakery breads.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 12:32 pm
Though I used a machine at one time I now bake bread by hand about every four days, a very basic whole wheat bread. I use 3 cups whole wheat flour and 3 cups white flour and sometimes add wheat germ. The secret to getting a good rise is to first proof the yeast: add warm water to the yeast and sugar and let it work for about ten minutes. This is especially important when using bread machines, where it is difficult to get a good rise with whole wheat bread. Another trick is adding 3 or 4 teaspoons of gluten flour per loaf whether using a machine or by hand.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 03:31 pm
@coluber2001,
I'm not going to reread the thread right now, lazy because I jammed a finger and am busy soaking it in ice water, but I really liked it when I added some buckwheat to my (carol field's) pan bigio recipe - I thought it added great flavor. I'll be back with the non-breadmaker (but probably adaptable) recipe when I have more patience.

Next in line, I want to try to make pizzoccheri pasta (buckwheat pasta).

Aha, I see I did mention trying buckwheat in bread before -
http://able2know.org/topic/134353-1

and here's Mark Bittman with a recipe for buckwheat pasta -
http://able2know.org/topic/127306-1
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 07:56 pm
Found this video while looking for something else and thought I'd plunk it here. It is of the Mark Bittman kneadless recipe that Osso mentioned.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 Oct, 2009 08:38 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, Butrflynet, I dooooo have to try that.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 07:05 am
@Butrflynet,
great find
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 02:48 pm
@panzade,
Anyone recognize the music in the intro of the video? I love it!
ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 02:56 pm
@Butrflynet,
Maybe, I'll check it again..