Can you be pro-English and pro-Spanish?

Setanta

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 11:51 am
@dyslexia,
You have obviously never had a good egg mayonnaise bedded on fresh spinach leaves and watercress . . . Philistine . . .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:04 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
The only basis upon which to allege a "pro-French" movement in France would be the complaints against franglais, which surfaced about 40 years ago. (Parlez-vous franglais? was published in 1968.) It was never really an issue, but in 1992, it was formally made the official language. But people still aller faire du skiing over le weekend, and if they're driving, they certainly have to chercher du parking. It's not a big deal.

You're confused, again, Set and resorting to bluster to cover your backward tracks.

Quote:
L'Académie française, or the French Academy, is the pre-eminent French learned body on matters pertaining to the French language. The Académie was officially established in 1635 by Cardinal Richelieu, the chief minister to King Louis XIII. Suppressed in 1793 during the French Revolution, it was restored in 1803 by Napoleon Bonaparte. (The Académie considers itself to have been suspended, not suppressed, during the revolution.)[citation needed] It is the oldest of the five académies of the Institut de France.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Académie_française

The people of France ignore it because it's the people of any language that create the rules for that language. That's something that you still haven't been able to grasp.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 12:47 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
Here is the question?

If pro-English means that I am pro-English, it seems that I should be able to be both pro-English and pro-Spanish (and pro-Mandarin).

Or does pro-English mean something else? In that case it is a very deceptive term indeed.

pro-English can, of course, have many nuances. But it isn't words that are deceptive, it's the people that use them.

Isn't that just another way of saying that words have differing nuances?

That leads us to suspect that it's highly dependent on the situation, which again, should not come as any major surprise.

I see no reason why you can't be pro-"every language".

0 Replies